Cardiff (Small) Model Railway Show 2020

br2975

Excellent show again. Well done to Paul and Brian , and Peter from Lord & Butler for putting on such an event.

Quality of layouts was excellent. And good to see Dave Tailby travel down once again, even though his layout today was O gauge, he tells me EM gauge is the future!!

Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

You got me excited then Rob as I was expecting a mogul.....

Not today...........

A further image....

Captain at the helm, No 1 offering advice. 

20200118_133001-01.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

Good to meet you again and  thank you for posting up these pictures , never seem to get time as an exhibitor to look around etc... Would also like to thank Paul and Brian Rolley  , Lord and Butler for putting on the show and the public for their attendance ,  we look forward to next years now , got a year to plan something else !

• Like 2

13 hours ago, chrisf said:

I wish I could be there but I've contracted another virus.  Enjoy yourselves without me.

Chris

Get well soon Chris - your health is paramount.

There will always be another show.

Bob Masterman was there, to record the event, so you'll find it on his YouTube channel shortly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's at this point I would like to express my thanks.......

My brother Paul ( naturol ) and I, together with Peter Lord of Lord & Butler, have staged these annual shows since 2016.

Thanks to those modellers, demonstrators and helpers  who have given freely of their time, together with those of you who have attended as visitors year on year, today, we were able to present a cheque of £750 to the Macmillan Cancer Care charity.

That we were able to make this presentation is down to the efforts of many people, and to all of you, we express our thanks.

Brian R

• Like 8

Back in Harborough now with Cath after a rather splendid day at a very splendid show. Well done Paul, Brian and Peter for putting an excellent show together. As we found when we took Friday Bridge a couple of years back, the people who attend this gathering are attentive and enthusiastic folk who are genuinely interested in what we're doing which, in turn, enthuses the exhibitors! It may even enthuse Wayne to get Tunnock Yard finished! Certainly it looks like its got plenty of potential so far!

Gilbert, I wish you had introduced yourself, I do like your stuff you do. Mind you, the photo of Tudwick Road looks like I'm dropping off to sleep!

Once again then chaps, well done and thanks for asking us to attend.

Disgusting of Market Harborough 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

25 minutes ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

Back in Harborough now with Cath after a rather splendid day at a very splendid show. Well done Paul, Brian and Peter for putting an excellent show together. As we found when we took Friday Bridge a couple of years back, the people who attend this gathering are attentive and enthusiastic folk who are genuinely interested in what we're doing which, in turn, enthuses the exhibitors! It may even enthuse Wayne to get Tunnock Yard finished! Certainly it looks like its got plenty of potential so far!

Gilbert, I wish you had introduced yourself, I do like your stuff you do. Mind you, the photo of Tudwick Road looks like I'm dropping off to sleep!

Hold on now !

We may be good

BUT

Even we can't work miracles !

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

Is this better?

cssP1010117.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A great little show this year, and well up to the usual standards. I did try to have a closer look at Abercynon Fach, but Rob Masterman was doing his Stephen Speilberg bit, so hopefully, another time. This show happens at exactly the right time of year: Being in the new-ish year, there's usually not a great deal going on, days are still short, and inspiration is needed. Just the ticket. 

Being a religious sort, I even had time to sit sit at a pew of Reverend James (Cardiff Joke)... 

A belated happy new year to all.

Ian.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Lovely show to be part of. 

I think it's fair to say that this year we seemed to see more Rmweb types through the door than previous years. Lots of interest in things Sheep made for a very short day. 

My apologies for an early exit with Bleat but on a positive, no issues in work later on and the finish at 5am was earlier than anticipated. All good. 

Here's to next year then.........

Rob 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Just to prove it is a small show - well small in space but big in heart and quality here's a look at the main 'exhibition hall',  Bleat Wharf is just out of view in the left foreground but you can see the back of Captain Kernow's shirt, the hirsute Rob (NHY581) casting a worried glance at the Captain and on Robs' left a small slice of BG man (Grahame).

1448196240_P1000012copy.jpg.52aea9d795696e843355b936844ed182.jpg

And at least Bleat Wharf gets to see some proper-job engines -

385840544_P1000009copy3.jpg.10826ef221ab513d6ce0730aaedf8c0f.jpg

As ever a smashing show which was well worth the 3+ hour trip from the depths of the Thames Valley.  Looking forward to getting there again next year.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Just to prove it is a small show - well small in space but big in heart and quality here's a look at the main 'exhibition hall',  Bleat Wharf is just out of view in the left foreground but you can see the back of Captain Kernow's shirt, the hirsute Rob (NHY581) casting a worried glance at the Captain and on Robs' left a small slice of BG man (Grahame).

1448196240_P1000012copy.jpg.52aea9d795696e843355b936844ed182.jpg

And at least Bleat Wharf gets to see some proper-job engines -

385840544_P1000009copy3.jpg.10826ef221ab513d6ce0730aaedf8c0f.jpg

As ever a smashing show which was well worth the 3+ hour trip from the depths of the Thames Valley.  Looking forward to getting there again next year.

And......slap, bang in the centre of the first image is the legend that is Robert 'Bob' Masterman - photographer and videographer par excellence !

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 19/01/2020 at 12:20, NHY 581 said:

Lovely show to be part of. 

I think it's fair to say that this year we seemed to see more Rmweb types through the door than previous years.

Here's to next year then.........

If I'd had my way, there would have been another "RMweb type" through the door this year. Unfortunately for me, family issues prevented this.

However, there's always next year ... .

On 19/01/2020 at 10:00, tomparryharry said:

A great little show this year, and well up to the usual standards. 

Being a religious sort, I even had time to sit sit at a pew of Reverend James (Cardiff Joke)... 

Errm ... yes ... I guess I'd probably want Brains to understand that joke.

Seriously though, although (for reasons over which I've definitely got no control) I only managed to make this show once (2018), I'm already looking forward to next year's show.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/01/2020 at 10:00, tomparryharry said:

9 hours ago, Huw Griffiths said:

Errm ... yes ... I guess I'd probably want Brains to understand that joke.

In case anyone without links to Cardiff is wondering what the #@£* this joke is all about, Brains have had a brewery in this city for a number of years (although it has moved about a bit).

For a number of years, one of their advertising campaigns involved slogans like "IT'S BRAINS YOU WANT" being painted on the sides of some local railway bridges.

They also sponsored the Welsh national Rugby team for a while - with a number of references appearing to their SA bitter.  Some of these were cryptic, like the "TRY ... ESSAI" slogan that appeared on some Rugby shirts, as a way of getting round restrictions on advertising alcoholic beverages ("ESSAI" being French for "try").

Anyway, another of their beverages was apparently named after Reverend James Buckley.

No - I don't know much about him, either - but I doubt if he would have had too much to do with a certain Colonel Wood, of the Temperance movement.

(In all honesty, I don't know much about history, either - but I don't see this getting in my way if I ever get chance to build a layout.)

Huw.

• Like 2