Cardiff (Small) Model Railway Show 2020

br2975

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Huw Griffiths said:

In case anyone without links to Cardiff is wondering what the #@£* this joke is all about, Brains have had a brewery in this city for a number of years (although it has moved about a bit).

For a number of years, one of their advertising campaigns involved slogans like "IT'S BRAINS YOU WANT" being painted on the sides of some local railway bridges.

They also sponsored the Welsh national Rugby team for a while - with a number of references appearing to their SA bitter.  Some of these were cryptic, like the "TRY ... ESSAI" slogan that appeared on some Rugby shirts, as a way of getting round restrictions on advertising alcoholic beverages ("ESSAI" being French for "try").

Anyway, another of their beverages was apparently named after Reverend James Buckley.

No - I don't know much about him, either - but I doubt if he would have had too much to do with a certain Colonel Wood, of the Temperance movement.

(In all honesty, I don't know much about history, either - but I don't see this getting in my way if I ever get chance to build a layout.)

Huw.

Nice one Huw, and quite right. Living in 'border country' (Malpas) I can go either way. West, towards the big city, or east, towards Brizzle.  Anyways, this kind old gent said we should try the local tipple, and seeing how he's a retired bobby, we thought we'd best try.  

• Funny 1

On 18/01/2020 at 17:29, NHY 581 said:

Captain Kernow 's 63xx appears at Bleat Wharf...

20200118_141449-03-03.jpeg

Crikey!!... Is this officially the first diesel to visit? I wish I was there at the time this historic event occurred!

Hope you had a good show sir!

Cheers

Wayne

Well that went quick!

Thanks to Brian and Paul for allowing Tunnock Yard to come along in progress form. I was hoping to have the fiddle yard on as well but I'm yet to get the woodwork done due to the crappy weather. At least I held my word and it was operational allowing some movement, albeit limited.

Here's a few from me of this great show.

IMG_20200118_112559.jpg.720684e42687d31c00674119ca4ab8c6.jpgIMG_20200118_153310.jpg.adc729489bc05f893ef2df2d0b3fbab8.jpgIMG_20200118_111140.jpg.5d8c582cac506418713e27626c67274f.jpg

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Nice pics Wayne

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I didn't realise you would be there. Thanks for your email regarding the US stuff. Sorry I haven't replied yet, just been busy with work, I even had a night shift after the show. I'm off this week though so I'll get back to in the next day or show. Brownsville and Ashland looks very good by the way, I've spent a lot of time browsing the Facebook page.

Cheers

Wayne

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I can confirm that the answer, having spoken to Brian a couple of times in the last few months about this, is sadly no. 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, NHY 581 said:

I can confirm that the answer, having spoken to Brian a couple of times in the last few months about this, is sadly no. 

Rob. 

A sad loss  - Rob - it was one of my favourites - I'll be pleased to try to support it as an exhibitor or punter if it arises - Phoenix-like from the flames....

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

A sad loss  - Rob - it was one of my favourites - I'll be pleased to try to support it as an exhibitor or punter if it arises - Phoenix-like from the flames....

Chris

You're not alone, Chris. A few layout owners have spoken to me and expressed the same sentiments. 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 2