Weathering track

• RMweb Premium

I'm working on my first DCC OO layout using Peco 75. I intend to solder droppers to the underside of track. And modify all points by soldering wires across from stock rail to the blade. So my question is, do I still need to mask areas before track weathering?

My plan is: 1. Cleaning with IPA. 2. Soldering. 3. Weathering on the bench. 4. Laying. 5. Ballasting. 6. Weathering in situ.

3 hours ago, Stephen Freeman said:

I think you would be better off cleaning with IPA after you have finished soldering, that way any flux deposits should be removed and not come back to haunt you afterwards.

Cleaning things for soldering with IPA is really of little value , as all that happens is you partially dissolve the film and just move it around, the IPA then flash’s off and the film of dirt is now nicely distributed 

best just give it a rub with a file , then use Rosin cored solder. To attach the wire , or if you wish a liquid “ no clean “ flux 

then you don’t need any clean up 

• RMweb Premium
On 07/11/2019 at 10:36, Gedward said:

I'm working on my first DCC OO layout using Peco 75. I intend to solder droppers to the underside of track. And modify all points by soldering wires across from stock rail to the blade. So my question is, do I still need to mask areas before track weathering?

My plan is: 1. Cleaning with IPA. 2. Soldering. 3. Weathering on the bench. 4. Laying. 5. Ballasting. 6. Weathering in situ.

The usual way to modify Peco points is to bond the stock rail to the fixed closure rail rather than directly to the moving switch, so current flow to the switch itself remains an issue and you would still need to avoid getting paint on the contact areas at the heel and tip of the switch.