Bachmann Shay Loco Slipping

Simon G

Our MRC has a Bachmann 80 ton US Shay loco, which was part of a loft clearance, and which we intend to sell for club funds.  It is a gorgeous thing, with the most amazing drive system.

However, when it runs, it slips quite a bit, even without a trailing load.  When I investigated, it appears that all the six axles should drive, but the axles are slipping on 4 of them.  They all have the drive cog, but can easily be turned by hand.  Can anyone offer any advice on how to address this.  Also, when it is running without slipping, the top speed is very low, ie a scale speed of about 15 to 20 mph max.  Is this normal for one of these?

A couple of photos of the underside attached for info.

8BD211C8-8215-4401-87A9-61557113C9FF.jpeg.41bc6380d20c391ad8c6d12f65c8293f.jpegE9605398-2B61-42D4-82DC-2841413112B6.jpeg.141c280c47dd1efd4bd8f7547d2e8958.jpeg

Slow speed for a Shay was normal. It was said of the Shays that the gear reduction made them sound like they were doing 60 while travelling at 6MPH.

As for the slipping gears on the model, this might be a job for some Loctite or similar adhesive but not knowing the Bachmann model I cannot say for certain.

HTH

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I had four of these and had to Loctite gears on two as they slipped and I know there were reports of split gears too.

If the gears have split you'll get lumpy running too but they also just slip due to the plastic used.

Carefully examine for splits in them running it upside down and if nothing apparent I'd try superglue, or preferably Loctite between the gear and axle to lock them back in place. It could be someone has over oiled it and that has caused the problem so you might need to clean everything first.

• Thanks 1

I have had the Shay upside down in my loco cradle, and had a good look with a magnifying glass while running it.  All the gears on the driving axles seem OK, with no splits or slipping.  The bevel gears on the drive shafts are a different story.  One is missing completely, one slips on the drive shaft, while two others seem to slip on the drive shafts at times.  I haven’t been able to see any splits in the gears, so I may be able to loctite them into place.  Locating a replacement gear for the missing one might prove tricky in the UK, so I might try suppliers in the US.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

Simon,

A possible source for appropriate gears might be NWSL (Northwest Short Lines). The company went out of business but appears to be on the way to revival. Here is an article showing how to change the gear train on "O" scale but the same principle would apply in HO.

http://www.ngtrains.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/NWSL-Shay-Gears-EDM-Models-Gear-Install.pdf

HTH

David

• Thanks 1

NWSL used to sell metal gears to replace the plastic ones mounted on the drive shaft. These were both expensive and difficult to fit.

Bachmann spares do, what is reported to be, an upgraded drive train, see following URL

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_92&products_id=1651

This would be the the simplest way to get the shay working reliably.

• Thanks 1

Bachmann USA is the place as they imported them . Try contacting them They did send out out upgrade kits for lots of their locos as the gear issue was notorious  so try them first .I think the H0 gear upgrade kit form NWSL was stopped a few years ago .I fitted a set of NWSL 0n30 to that scale shay and they worked a treat ..its a big problem getting spares for plastic locos or brass  even .I am stuck for a set of pickups for Bachmanns Rheanas..

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

In the end, I tried Bachmann UK and they were able to supply the replacement units.  I finally got around to replacing them today, which was a bit fiddly, but otherwise straightforward.  It now runs nice.y on my test track, so will take it back to the club and try it with a load behind.  At least all six axles now seem fully linked to the drive unit, so it should be fine.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Regarding the use of Loctite, the most commonly sold formulations of Loctite are harmful to plastics.  Loctite or cyanoacrylate superglues will damage and compromise the plastic gear, not creating a good repair and potentially leading to a split or break in the plastic.  As an alternative to epoxy, or a product known to damage or eat plastics one might try an application of water-based acrylic paint after removing any oils or grease from the surfaces to be joined.