Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Results - The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019

• AY Mod pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic

I am surprised that the LBSCR K-Class was 50 odd votes further back from the U- and Q-classes, but as said the Southern area did vote well.

Anyway, good luck to everyone with their choices, and thank-you to the polling team.

Edited by phil gollin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

The SR and its groups have done rather well there, if manufactures do use the poll to influence their product announcements, the next few years could get very expensive for me! 

Hello GreenGiraffe

This is partly to do with the fact that 14 places in The Top 50 have become available this year. It has meant that a number of locos have moved up the pecking order consistently with previous year's results.

The SECR 01 was just one vote outside The Top 50 in 2018.

The SR L1 was just two votes outside.

The D1 & E1 were just 10 votes outside.

The W and C2X were just over 20 votes outside.

I suspect the SECR D would have been up there had it not been announced during the currency of The Poll. It was taking a fair percentage of the SR loco votes until a few days after the announcement.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, phil gollin said:

I am surprised that the LBSCR K-Class was 50 odd votes further back from the U- and Q-classes, but as said the Southern area did vote well.

Hello Phil

The K polled 280 votes this year. In 2018, it polled 281.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

The U class and the manor class doesn’t surprise me. Both are go anywhere designs and the manor has a lot of components in the manufacture existing range and the U class is the only Maunsell SR design still to do that had large numbers. But the real surprise in the poll is the USATC 160. But it is a handsome design and I do hope it gets made. 

big James

It will be a brave manufacturer who does the USATC-160.  Only really in use in the UK from late 1943 (?) to 1945 (and, of course, on preserved railways).  But the scope for WW2 railways is presumably there from the number of votes.   

MAYBE if they did 1n "OO" one and then another with an HO body ????

• Agree 1

I must admit I'm a little surprised by the non-placement of Class 455 EMUs and relatively how low the Class 317/318s are. They must have been everyday units for an awful lot of people

Should they possibly be grouped together in the same way as the '313/314/315 and 507/508' because there must be an awful lot of commonality between them although perhaps less so than PEP types where the dual-voltage Class 313s tie-ing the types together.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Big James said:

The U class and the manor class doesn’t surprise me. Both are go anywhere designs and the manor has a lot of components in the manufacture existing range and the U class is the only Maunsell SR design still to do that had large numbers.

big James

The problem with the U Class is that, whilst they all looked similar to the casual observer, there were several sub-classes (4 IIRC) that differed quite significantly from one another in various dimensions. To further complicate matters, some examples of all received new (different) frames under BR ownership.  Tooling up to produce all, or even most of them, would be complex and expensive.

The obvious alternative, picking one variant and ignoring the rest would not, I suspect, meet with universal approval. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, GordonC said:

I must admit I'm a little surprised by the non-placement of Class 455 EMUs and relatively how low the Class 317/318s are. They must have been everyday units for an awful lot of people

Should they possibly be grouped together in the same way as the '313/314/315 and 507/508' because there must be an awful lot of commonality between them although perhaps less so than PEP types where the dual-voltage Class 313s tie-ing the types together.

Hello GordonC

Both types are (reasonably) consistently positioned over the years and this year is no exception. 

I'll put the possible combination on the Agenda although it's outside my sphere of knowledge, so I can't comment here.

• Like 3

The announcement mid-poll of the SECR D class has possibly scrambled the South Eastern 4-4-0 picture.

Lovely though the D class addition will be, it didn't survive long enough into BR days to satisfy the needs of BR SR modellers who really need a 4-4-0 from the D1, E1, L, L1 range.

The D1 is currently leader in this poll but perhaps we should get behind one or other next year as the vote is currently split between types.

Another useful poll. Thanks to the Team.

Edited by Forester
Punctuation
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Good work as ever, but never content, I couldn't see anything for the 'in need of a new model' option. Has my eye just skated over it in the four PDF's, or is that yet to come?

Hello 34C

It's only in download No.2: Results Category-by-Category (towards the end).

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Forester said:

The announcement mid-poll of the SECR D class has possibly scrambled the South Eastern 4-4-0 picture.

Lovely though the D class addition will be, it didn't survive long enough into BR days to satisfy the needs of BR SR modellers who really need a 4-4-0 from the D1, E1, L, L1 range.

The D1 is currently leader in this poll but perhaps we should get behind one or other next year as the vote is currently sp;it between types.

Another useful poll. Thanks to the Team.

Hello Forester

Bear in mind that all four you mention are in the high end of High Polling. Pretty consistent positioning over the years.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

So it was a 'random splatter' in section 21.

I can see both diesels mentioned getting new models willy nilly, because the BR main line traction diesel fleet is 'done', so any competitor looking to expand their range in this area is forced to duplicate.

Hello 34C

It was indeed - just as we expected. As noted, we went into the subject 'eyes wide open' having had a fair amount of experience. We wanted to give people the chance to vote, but it doesn't lead to anything very constructive...and it won't be repeated in future years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Once again we must thanks the team and Andy Y for their hard work in listing and preparing the poll, and such quick analysis of so much data in multiple digestible formats across 4 pdfs. 

I am sorry that only 2511 people bothered to vote, since I see the poll as being of interest to many more people across our hobby. That number represents a very small % of RMwebbers, let alone magazine and other media readers whom we might expect to take an interest, and whom we know the team makes strenuous efforts to outreach. 

The fact that a rather obscure and never numerous class of loco from overseas topped the poll tells us something. Since I believe an example roams the preserved rails these days, and is quite different in appearance from mainstream UK loco design, the influence of the preservation sector in our hobby is proved yet again. 

• Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Forester

Bear in mind that all four you mention are in the high end of High Polling. Pretty consistent positioning over the years.

Quite so.

The D1 does seem to be pulling clear of the other SE 4-4-0s this year.

My impression in previous polls was a closer clustering (maybe you could confirm that - or otherwise).

If so, we SE 4-4-0 fans need to get behind the D1 next year.

All I'm saying is the demand for a useful BR SE 4-4-0 is stonger than the current split vote suggests and the D class possibly won't satisfy it, nice though a pretty SECR or a (scrapline? does that sound ungrateful? - sorry!) early BR version will be.