Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Results - The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, dcordingley said:

I'd like to add my thanks to all the team for the meticulous work on this. 

Slightly tongue-in-cheek, i couldn't see any reference to Class AM1/TOPS 301 - the Lancaster-Morecambe-Heysham electrics -  in the poll. I've voted for these in the past (probably under "miscellaneous other" or similar), but unless they're included under the "LNWR Oerlikon electrics" category they seem to have slipped through the net this year. Not that I imagine they would ever attract much interest, as a very niche prototype. However, as someone who grew up with these trains I've decided to get cracking and am currently in the process of building my own 4mm version.  I don't recall ever seeing any such models - ever!

David     

Hello David

Many thanks.

We haven't listed those. Back when we were asked to 'rationalise' the content of what was The Poll, those units were polling very, very low. Our policy is to 'back load' as much as possible as soon as possible where we can.

I'll put them on the Agenda, but we are really tight for space - unless all our lovely manufacturers start announcing loads of new items that we can remove from the lists!

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

Just a thought on the publicity, have you contacted any of the “box openers” on YouTube to get them to get the message out to their followers and subscribers?  My bet would be that many of the people who follow them on those sort of platforms are not natural rmweb or traditional magazine buyers/readers.  I can’t recall but is there a question saying where you heard of the poll?

Thanks to all the team for the effort that goes into producing and analysing the poll.

david

Many thanks David.

To be honest, we haven't contacted any 'box openers'...but it comes down to time and effort and really needs someone 'with contacts'. I simply don't have the spare time. Well, I might have, but I'd put myself so close to having no contingency margin where my time is actually needed most. And I can't afford to get that close.

We don't ask where people have heard of The Poll as we decided long ago that we would only stick to 'core content' (lest we stray off to subjects such as which point motors do you use; which mags do you read etc). We wouldn't be certain of it giving absolute useful data.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to all the poll team and Andy for their work on this years poll.

I'm surprised that the Bachmann 57xx / 8750 doesn't appear in the models needing updating though. I'm still hoping!

Edited by Neal Ball
57xx

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks to all the poll team and Andy for their work on this years poll.

I'm surprised that the Bachmann 57xx / 8750 doesn't appear in the models needing updating though. I'm still hoping!

Thanks Neil - appreciated.

The 57xx/8750 were listed in the Poll itself new last year. They came in Middle Polling again this year. See Results Category-by-Category.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Dear Brian,

As regards increasing the numbers wanting to take part:

I don't want to give the team any more work - I'm already thankful for the amount you do! -  but I do feel that a poll which lets you vote for as many things as you want is less inviting/exciting than one which makes you choose. A combination of the two might be feasible - letting people vote for any item (as now), but also asking them to choose the one item they most want. 

Just a thought. Thanks, David

Edited by Downer
typo
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MarkSG said:

1. Start it a bit later in the year, run it for longer (a couple of months rather than a couple of weeks), and see if you can persuade the organisers of the big autumn and winter shows (Great British Model Railway Show, Warley, Manchester) to promote it in their exhibition guides.

The problem with running longer is that we as a species generally like to procrastinate, so it is possible that you might actually get fewer votes as people keep putting it off and then suddenly realize the couple of months has expired.

There is also the problem that we have become used to instant(ish) gratification, and having a poll announced and voting and then having to wait 2 or 3 months for results could turn people off the poll.

And the inherent problem (in addition to the mentioned volunteer calendar issue) is December is a bad month for running stuff like this poll given how Christmas (shopping/parties/etc) dominate people's December calendars.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey Brian,

Many thanks for taking the time to run this poll in your spare time, it gives a really fascinating insight into what people in this hobby want.

On a side note, I'm so glad to see my personal votes (the E4 and J69) ranking higher than i ever thought they would... bring on the model of them!

Although I'm not sure who id want producing them... Hornby seems to never want to produce GE locos in GE colours, and bachmans price point is getting increasingly higher every year... Mabie oxford? lol

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Downer said:

Dear Brian,

As regards increasing the numbers wanting to take part:

I don't want to give the team any more work - I'm already thankful for the amount you do! -  but I do feel that a poll which lets you vote for as many things as you want is less inviting/exciting than one which makes you choose. A combination of the two might be feasible - letting people vote for any item (as now), but also asking them to choose the one item they most want. 

Just a thought. Thanks, David

Hello David

Many thanks for the kind words.

Firstly, may I say to you - and everyone else who has been good enough to make suggestions - that I'm sorry if I sound 'a tad dismissive' of them. I'm not and I don't want to stifle what amounts to a brainstorming exercise.

It's simply that we have been running The Poll for a long time and have tried all sorts of innovations either in draft or in actuality (as per Category 21 this year).

We decided long ago to not have boxes for (such as): This is my top priority item or I'd buy X of these etc. We have made it as simple as we possibly can: pick a category; tick your wants; hit submit; job done. We could restrict the number that can be voted for in any  category, but we are sure we'd have people say: X quantity is not enough for me - I need Y quantity!

As Team Traction alludes to (above) we could have a box for: Which manufacturer would you like to see make this item?

And, the more tick boxes you have, the more analysis and reporting to be done which could detract from the clarity of the results presentation.

Please keep the thoughts coming though! We do listen and will reply with reasons - positive or negative as the case may be.

• Like 2

Thanks again for running the survey it clearly takes a lot of effort, it is appreciated. It is fascinating that S160 has made it to the top of the poll, may be a bit of a surprise (although one I have consistently voted for in previous surveys) but definitely rule 1 locomotive and perhaps shows a growth in modellers of the preservation scene with 4 now in traffic. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Congratulations to NiuModels on the announcement of the NER Snowplough - see link later.

We entered the item 'new' this year and it polled 187 votes, placing it not very far outside The Top 50. We can't delete the item from any future Poll as we only take into account 'major' manufacturers and commissioners and this is a limited run model.

We wish NiuModels every success with the project.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/148819-niu-models-ner-lner-independent-snowplough/

• Like 2

An interesting exercise.

I must thank you for the links to my site - I had an exceptional number of orders last month, many small and from new customers, which I can only put down to your interest!

I'm not 4mm modeller but interesting results, my first thought was what are LMS/LMR modellers on. The requests for coaches seem esoteric and unconnected with locomotives available or requested. And Big Bertha..... How many have radius curves a model of this could negotiate?

A LNER quadart seems a non brainer. Long lived and a 'big' train that could go in a smaller space.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Paul

The LMS & Constituents Coaches results are in overall context with previous years. Items jostle for position up and down, year by year,

As stated in The Poll Purpose and as noted a number of times in our various threads, The Poll is for modellers and collectors. Loco categories always get more voters than corresponding rolling stock ones.

The LNER Quad Art has long been High Polling. We note in The Guide that the required two (different) sets of four coaches equate to about six BR Short Underframe Non-gangwayed coaches or five Long Underframe ones.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great to see LNER articulated coaches polling highly. It would take a brave manufacturer to take them on, but I really hope one does (and is rewarded for doing so with decent sales).

Thank you to the team for their hard work :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hmrspaul said:

...A LNER quadart seems a non brainer. Long lived and a 'big' train that could go in a smaller space...

But problematic in terms of the number of bodies required for a pair of Quadarts, and then there are variant forms in the GN and GE section versions, and the GE section Quintart to consider.

13 hours ago, Team Traction said:

...so glad to see my personal votes (the E4 and J69) ranking higher than i ever thought they would... bring on the model of them!

... Maybe Oxford Rail? lol

Whyever not? Much to like on their N7. Good starting point for customising to represent a specific class member as it has a very simple body and mechanism construction, so easy to dismantle and work on; and it's a sweet runner with plenty of traction. I would snatch a RTR OO J69 to this standard out of any maker's hands...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

But problematic in terms of the number of bodies required for a pair of Quadarts, and then there are variant forms in the GN and GE section versions, and the GE section Quintart to consider.

Whyever not? Much to like on their N7. Good starting point for customising to represent a specific class member as it has a very simple body and mechanism construction, so easy to dismantle and work on; and it's a sweet runner with plenty of traction. I would snatch a RTR OO J69 to this standard out of any maker's hands...

The Quints would be good (and whilst there were two batches with different diagram numbers, they were very similar - biggest differences being bogie type and the guard compartment width) so you could "get away" with only producing one of the diagram sets. 

I'd also be happy with Oxford doing an Intermediate (what a boring nickname!) or Buckjumper, I do like my N7, even with the cosmetic issues. It feels very well designed and built.

Unfortunately I ended up being unable to take part this year. As I was unable to discover how to save my results and return later to complete Survey. Perhaps someone can advise whether this is still possible as I got NO response when I tried to contact Andy [I have no idea if my question reached him]

Ian 

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

One thing we have tried to make clear over the years via The Guide is that the GN Quad Arts were designed to run as paired sets - eight coaches to a train. We have seen no evidence anywhere of them running as 'a single 4-set' in service, although we do know of an emergency working without passengers.

The GE Quads were specifically 4-car and the GE Quints were 5-car, although both or either could have another same set attached.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, IMB said:

Unfortunately I ended up being unable to take part this year. As I was unable to discover how to save my results and return later to complete Survey. Perhaps someone can advise whether this is still possible as I got NO response when I tried to contact Andy [I have no idea if my question reached him]

Ian 

Hello IMB

I'm sorry to hear of the problem. Andy will normally jump on such matters quicker than you will have hit the send button. If anything like this happens in the future, you are welcome to contact The Poll Team as a back-up. As a general rule, you can a expect a reply well within 24 hours and often a lot quicker.

I can't recall if there was a 'save for later button' - can anyone else?

Edited by BMacdermott
  • Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, IMB said:

Perhaps someone can advise whether this is still possible as I got NO response when I tried to contact Andy [I have no idea if my question reached him]

I can say with clarity I did NOT receive any contact from anyone called Ian and the poll closed almost seven days ago and the results have been announced so, no, it's not possible to re-submit anything.

The software would have automatically saved your choices, (which could be edited) until the point you submitted at the end of the page.

In fact I didn't receive any emails from anyone experiencing any technical issues or any confusion how to do anything, just individuals grumbling their niche interests were not being accommodated.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

In fact I didn't receive any emails from anyone experiencing any technical issues or any confusion how to do anything, just individuals grumbling their niche interests were not being accommodated.

Thanks Andy

A reminder to all for the future that 'content queries'  should be addressed to The Poll Team and 'technical ones' to Andy. 

• Like 1

What's interesting to me here is how the list breaks down into two or three different groups when we think production and sales:

1. Class with large number in-service, possibly over a longer time period, spread widely geographically. For "new" one would expect something carrying multiple liveries (eg. Class 68 as opposed to Class 70). These are perfect for the mainstream manufacturers who can keep these in their ranges for years, rolling out different details, eras, liveries, special editions etc.

2. A small class, including one-off, or limited geography/time-period etc. There are some with significant support, say class 89, W1 hush-hush etc. These are perfect for commissions and crowd-funding (I know, I said it, but, like, no DJM crowdfunding...). 

This is why there's room for business models where crowdfunding and short runs are done properly. Or the retailer commissions. In lockstep with the major manufacturers.

Thanks to the team for pulling this together.

• Thanks 1