Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Results - The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019

13 hours ago, OOgaugeJaf said:

I did not vote but would definitely be interested in an S160. Model BR but would find a home for one on my layout anyway. Who is up for the challenge manufacturers?

Please do not think that I am  implying criticism but I am curious as to why as an RMweb member who is clearly interested in the results of the poll, you did not vote?

Your answer might help Brian in his quest for more voters.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I also note all the comments about boosting polling numbers.

While 2,500 would not represent even close to a majority of British outline 00 enthusiasts, and of course, more would be better,  I think it represents a very statistically significant sample. As such it accomplishes the objectives of the poll in terms of producing meaningful and statistically significant data about the collective interests of enthusiasts...

It is a statistically significant sample size, considered as a number (a well organised  and accurately executed sample size of 2,000 that is both properly representative and randomised is enough to predict most national electoral outcomes) but the poll is a non random sample in that it is self-selecting group: essentially of people interested in current RTR OO productions who are sufficiently motivated to take part, so is significant only in representing that group. Does not for example represent those solely interested in productions of past manufacturers, those who buy what they like on impulse when they see it, those categorically opposed to surveying, and other groups I am too unimaginative to think of*.

How to boost polling numbers? Bribery in one form or another works,  but difficult to arrange in this context.

*I have been caught out by this for real, a very interesting learning experience.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

It is a statistically significant sample size, considered as a number (a well organised  and accurately executed sample size of 2,000 that is both properly representative and randomised is enough to predict most national electoral outcomes) but the poll is a non random sample in that it is self-selecting group: essentially of people interested in current RTR OO productions who are sufficiently motivated to take part, so is significant only in representing that group. Does not for example represent those solely interested in productions of past manufacturers, those who buy what they like on impulse when they see it, those categorically opposed to surveying, and other groups I am too unimaginative to think of*.

How to boost polling numbers? Bribery in one form or another works,  but difficult to arrange in this context.

*I have been caught out by this for real, a very interesting learning experience.

From a practical viewpoint, the self-selecting cohort does exactly what the industry needs, it indicates those who will (or at least intend to) put their money where their mouths are.

Collectors of obsolete models are, by definition, irrelevant to current producers and those who buy random stuff on impulse fall outside any form of market research, though they have their uses if the whim attracts them to things the rest of us don't take a shine to....

Those categorically opposed to surveying are, of course, a self-deselecting group.:jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

... those who buy random stuff on impulse fall outside any form of market research, though they have their uses if the whim attracts them to things the rest of us don't take a shine to...

... and I rather suspect they are a significant proportion of the customer base. A year or so after first release of any particular all new model, the s/h supply of models that were actual or near sell-outs becomes plentiful. That's got to be impulse purchases?

Rather hope these customers are and continue to be under-represented in the poll, or we would see the voting move toward anything capable of carrying liveries based on primary colours.

• Agree 3

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 08:02, BMacdermott said:

Hello Baz

I think I have reported many times that the WD 2-10-0 has been in The Top 50 since 2013 and the S-160 since 2014 (having been around position 75th in 2013).

I have also reported many times that The Poll is for modellers and collectors, so layouts per se aren't a prerequisite.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

One thing to be wary of is the fact that engines active in preservation give engines a boost when they are seen in public. This year there have been 3 S160s active, with 2253 having its overhaul finished at the NYMR, one active on the Paignton and Dartmouth line and another one at Churnet Valley.  Given these all enter the heritage magazines or seen in person across the country it raises the profile when the engines are then subject to a poll to be modelled. 1501 got a similar boost for its class upon its return to traffic at the last overhaul.

The other issue with the desire of prototype engines being modelled is that some can be of interest and others not. While the P2 has been done, as has the Duke of Gloucester, it gives credence to the idea that others would follow. Many of these on the Eastern region have been popular as models vote for the odd engine that is on shed as a novelty. The market has had a lot of novelty engines made for various difference niches. Southern branch line steam engines, diesel prototypes at transition period (which Heljan effectively dominated) and now some steam selections. Now steam with very small class sizes are being looked at, hence P2/2 being a follow up, the W1 is an option and as is the Midland Big Bertha.  However, the issue is that with these being done in such small classes, it also leaves the door open to engines with bigger class sizes that would have a greater follow up order potential as these prototypes tend to be a one off purchase and that in an age where sales matter to recoup costs of tooling with more releases is an important factor that many still overlook.

5 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

However, the issue is that with these being done in such small classes, it also leaves the door open to engines with bigger class sizes that would have a greater follow up order potential as these prototypes tend to be a one off purchase and that in an age where sales matter to recoup costs of tooling with more releases is an important factor that many still overlook.

I take issue with the assuption that because a class was numerous in service this would be echoed in model purchase numbers.

I know of no one who buys locos and rolling stock in proportion to the numbers in actual service. We'd have cupbords full of wagons and minimal locos if we did. While we may smirk at the "impulse" buyers, we all to some extent bias our stock to the things we like the look of - be honest.

I'm proud of my fleet of locos, all from those correctly shedded in my area and in condition as in the date I use as a datum, yet there is hardly a BR Standard to be seen, despite the fact they should be there in numbers at that date. I just don't like them.

So by all means consider producing the most numerous missing classes - but don't just assume sales figures will be related.

People like the occasional rarity. Isn't that why we have the Poll?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Forester said:

I take issue with the assuption that because a class was numerous in service this would be echoed in model purchase numbers.

I know of no one who buys locos and rolling stock in proportion to the numbers in actual service. We'd have cupbords full of wagons and minimal locos if we did. While we may smirk at the "impulse" buyers, we all to some extent bias our stock to the things we like the look of - be honest.

I'm proud of my fleet of locos, all from those correctly shedded in my area and in condition as in the date I use as a datum, yet there is hardly a BR Standard to be seen, despite the fact they should be there in numbers at that date. I just don't like them.

So by all means consider producing the most numerous missing classes - but don't just assume sales figures will be related.

People like the occasional rarity. Isn't that why we have the Poll?

Yes we do like the rarity that can be purchased and seen on a layout. Often this can be a small nice quaint engine that is there on shed amongst all the other things - how many Southern region layouts now will feature a Radial, USA Dock or Well tank. More than a few I suspect. Yet that was my point, these are not big class engines and while some more of the Southern contingent are after engines with similar low numbers in the class, they would buy one for the rare occasion one turned up. The Southern Q class would be next on that list I expect, brought to the attention by its little tour of lines as well recently which puts it in the minds of those voting. As mentioned, Heljan did something similar by modelling all the BR prototype diesels - for the time, when just by chance one of these should show up. I can again suspect that quite a few people suddenly found Lion, Kestrel, DP2 and Falcon all on shed. It was a clever move by Heljan as it builds a collection mindset and gets other engines to bolster the sales.

While that's good, single purchase engines can not justify a return to tooling over and over again. Companies need engines where the buyer will get more than one - and when that needs to happen its an engine whereby the class is seen to be numerous. That means buying another of the class after the first run, which gets companies a better return on tooling and options that can be included. Choosing what types can be done is where the hard balance is forcing companies to choose. Get one sale at a higher cost on a rarity item that people buy as its a novelty, or keep something in the range whereby there is a better chance of slower sales at start, but its one that will sell and also get a better return over time.

As companies look to see where the popular ones are in the poll, its clear that some areas have been done and that some engines that remain for an area or company poll less strongly and thus show less demand. Other areas that were once overlooked now come to the fore, as an equally justifiable alternative. That's explaining how Hornby went with the J36, even if others polled equally or more strongly than it. Hornby's move was clever as it opened up another area, while new companies and established ones all still produce for the dominant Southern transition period area of the market, which is now massively oversaturated with choice in terms of regular engines in a range that were common place and the novelty engines to go with them. Both stock, Slam Door EMUs and ED's all back up this trend as most people only notice the focus on steam.

That's why now the good move would be to produce engines that are both novelty and main range selections. The Big Bertha for the Midland region would be a good choice, but the rest of that area has imploded by comparison, as prototypes now can be done and the region has rallied around their own unique engine as others look for a one off too. That's why W1 might be an option for Eastern region, but instead the better option might be K4 or the P2/2.  Western region could have a retooled Manor brought to its main range, while the 15xx is perfect for a small shop or magazine commission.

In terms of collecting and novelties then the BR standards of 2MT would be great as a main range item, while 3MT would be the novelty on shed as well as get everyone to complete the collections of BR standards.

Yet, while steam is looking for what to do next, diesel is doing just the same. Several announcements have been for models that have not even made it onto the poll. Deltic with Accurascale, Class 47 with Heljan and Class 66 with Hattons both have good interest and doubtless will be popular. I think class 37 will follow.  It does mean that here companies are looking to what they can do next using their own interpretation of the market and its course to determine what should be made next for that area. Steam is heading to similar territory with popular engines to be retooled rather than introduce a new engine. Others could be electric models and the class 88 is standing out as something quickly gaining popularity, but also has the benefit of being diesel so can show up elsewhere away from the wires.

Sadly for some that means the prospect of some models being made is now harder to achieve. Some low polling areas are remaining as such. Others that were high polling overall only have a few popular choices left before the demand for those that remain falls away dramatically and this trend has been very consistent over recent polls. Its backed up by models for an area remaining at discount as they have lots of choice.

So what areas do remain - the obvious one is units. Some medium journey first gen units are still polling strongly, but then a class 185 would also sell well amongst the modern range that seems most of the northern fleet covered. Others that still poll highly include both some GE and NER choices, but while the former might be a novelty with small classes like the E4, the NER has the chance of follow up sales with popular engines like J21 that would nicely sit amongst the G5, J72, Q6 and J27 announced to date. That would put NER in an excellent position to model secondary lines or branches much like the northern version of the stereotypical western branch, especially if standards and eastern region grouping designs were included.

It will be interesting watching the market develop. Whether pre-orders, batch production and costings control the supply to limit what is available and thus drive demand for that purchase. These I also think will be factors, but will need to be discussed another time to stop this getting any longer!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Many congratulations to Rails on the announcement of No.18000 Brown Boveri Gas Turbine A1A-A1A!

The loco has been in The Top 50 of The 00 Wishlist Poll since 2013, apart from 2015 when it was just a handful of votes outside. This year, it came it at position =30.

We wish Rails every success with the project.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team, but will be buying one personally :))

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

Many congratulations to Rails on the announcement of No.18000 Brown Boveri Gas Turbine A1A-A1A!

The loco has been in The Top 50 of The 00 Wishlist Poll since 2013, apart from 2015 when it was just a handful of votes outside. This year, it came it at position =30.

We wish Rails every success with the project.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team, but will be buying one personally :))

I'll pay good money for the sound chip alone. 

(That's a challenge I set you by the way, Rails!)

There are, I think, three categories of locomotives which have a proven track record of selling well.

The first is the "top link" passenger express locos - the A4s, the Coronations, the Deltics, the HSTs and, bang up to date, the Pendolinos and the Class 800s. These are the train set and loft roundy-roundy staples; if you are a hobbyist modelling the location and era they ran in you will definitely need them, if you just enjoy playing trains then they are the eye-catching impulse and gift purchases, and if you are a collector they are the ones on the most prominent display shelf.

The second is the widespread workhorses - the less glamorous locos that had lots of representatives built and operated over a long period of time or a wide geographical area, or both. Hobbyists will definitely need at least one of these, and probably several. They tend to be smaller and cheaper than the top link locos, so in the train set market they're either the budget starters or the later add-ons.  They're possibly of less interest to collectors, because they can seem humdrum. But if the money is there to be spent, then it's likely to be spent on some of them.

The third is the esoterics and one-offs - the Garretts, the APT-E, the 18000, the J70s and the Hush-Hush. Relatively few hobbyists will have a definite need for one of these, but a lot will buy them anyway, either to run under Rule 1 or as part of a potential later project (which may, in a few cases, even come to fruition!). They're possibly of less interest to train set buyers, but, even so, a fair few of them are likely to end up on the domestic ovals. And for collectors, these are the "must buy" items, just because they're there.

Looking down the top 50 on the wishlist poll, the vast majority can be dropped into one of these categories. Which suggests that, actually, as a survey cohort, we are a reasonably good predictor of what is likely to attract the attention of the manufacturers.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

20 hours ago, Forester said:

I don't.

Whilst I don't intend to buy 100 Heljan AL6 locos when they are released next year, or similar numbers of Bachmann Class 158s, I do intend to have proportionally more AL6s in my fleet to give my fictional West Midlands town a representative, convincing traffic pattern .  I'm the same when I procure locos for the Dolgellau group - if it never ran through Dolgellau, for public shows, I won't buy it which is why you'll never see a Hall at Dolgellau (I will make an exception for any LNWR Precedent and Hatton's generic 6 wheelers if the Precedent breaks cover at Warley although that will be a personal purchase, not a group one, and we do allow our youngest member to run his contemporary diesel stock in quiet periods!)  The only "impulse" buy I have ever made was the APT-E, simply because it made a great noise and hopefully helped keep the real thing in a better condition for future generations.

I think the issue is with one-offs and freaks is whilst they will sell in quick and satisfactory numbers, other bread and butter stuff will continue to draw in sales after the tooling has been paid for, albeit not in the initial tidal-wave numbers that any new item attracts.  We are led to believe that initial sales of a new product tend to be high, then they tail off, but if you've paid off the development costs with initial sales, there is some merit in releasing a new batch every so often especially if it is a long-lived or numerous prototype.  It appears that is what Bachmann did with last year's announcements - lots of re-issues of existing models in new numbers and liveries, in so doing releasing some good bread and butter stuff that at the time was actually welcomed by quite a few commentators on here.

I don't know if one off freaks disproportionately attract the many, many model railway enthusiasts who don't post on here.  Personally, and non-scientifically, I can point to at least a dozen active modellers in my acquaintance and say no, they do not buy pretty freaks, they just buy stuff they need for their chosen layout, and in some cases, stuff with which they have a personal connection with.  So, for example, today's announcement of Kerosene Castle will not interest any of them one iota.  However, I won't assert that because I am the only one of my modelling acquaintances who has ever bought a one off freak (the APT) that that is evidence that bread and butter run of the mill locos are the way forward.  I suspect the reality is a mix of one off freaks and a baseload of the ordinary is the way forward, but as locos become ever more expensive for a large proportion of modellers, I can't help thinking the proportion of Rule 1 freak buyers will be fewer.  If you are on a restricted budget, and you have £200 to spend on new locos, will you buy a Rule 1 freak or something which will get a lot more use, or possibly even two discounted smaller locos?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Yes we do like the rarity that can be purchased and seen on a layout. Often this can be a small nice quaint engine that is there on shed amongst all the other things - how many Southern region layouts now will feature a Radial, USA Dock or Well tank. More than a few I suspect. Yet that was my point, these are not big class engines and while some more of the Southern contingent are after engines with similar low numbers in the class, they would buy one for the rare occasion one turned up. The Southern Q class would be next on that list I expect, brought to the attention by its little tour of lines as well recently which puts it in the minds of those voting. As mentioned, Heljan did something similar by modelling all the BR prototype diesels - for the time, when just by chance one of these should show up. I can again suspect that quite a few people suddenly found Lion, Kestrel, DP2 and Falcon all on shed. It was a clever move by Heljan as it builds a collection mindset and gets other engines to bolster the sales.

While that's good, single purchase engines can not justify a return to tooling over and over again. Companies need engines where the buyer will get more than one - and when that needs to happen its an engine whereby the class is seen to be numerous. That means buying another of the class after the first run, which gets companies a better return on tooling and options that can be included. Choosing what types can be done is where the hard balance is forcing companies to choose. Get one sale at a higher cost on a rarity item that people buy as its a novelty, or keep something in the range whereby there is a better chance of slower sales at start, but its one that will sell and also get a better return over time.

As companies look to see where the popular ones are in the poll, its clear that some areas have been done and that some engines that remain for an area or company poll less strongly and thus show less demand. Other areas that were once overlooked now come to the fore, as an equally justifiable alternative. That's explaining how Hornby went with the J36, even if others polled equally or more strongly than it. Hornby's move was clever as it opened up another area, while new companies and established ones all still produce for the dominant Southern transition period area of the market, which is now massively oversaturated with choice in terms of regular engines in a range that were common place and the novelty engines to go with them. Both stock, Slam Door EMUs and ED's all back up this trend as most people only notice the focus on steam.

That's why now the good move would be to produce engines that are both novelty and main range selections. The Big Bertha for the Midland region would be a good choice, but the rest of that area has imploded by comparison, as prototypes now can be done and the region has rallied around their own unique engine as others look for a one off too. That's why W1 might be an option for Eastern region, but instead the better option might be K4 or the P2/2.  Western region could have a retooled Manor brought to its main range, while the 15xx is perfect for a small shop or magazine commission.

In terms of collecting and novelties then the BR standards of 2MT would be great as a main range item, while 3MT would be the novelty on shed as well as get everyone to complete the collections of BR standards.

Yet, while steam is looking for what to do next, diesel is doing just the same. Several announcements have been for models that have not even made it onto the poll. Deltic with Accurascale, Class 47 with Heljan and Class 66 with Hattons both have good interest and doubtless will be popular. I think class 37 will follow.  It does mean that here companies are looking to what they can do next using their own interpretation of the market and its course to determine what should be made next for that area. Steam is heading to similar territory with popular engines to be retooled rather than introduce a new engine. Others could be electric models and the class 88 is standing out as something quickly gaining popularity, but also has the benefit of being diesel so can show up elsewhere away from the wires.

Sadly for some that means the prospect of some models being made is now harder to achieve. Some low polling areas are remaining as such. Others that were high polling overall only have a few popular choices left before the demand for those that remain falls away dramatically and this trend has been very consistent over recent polls. Its backed up by models for an area remaining at discount as they have lots of choice.

So what areas do remain - the obvious one is units. Some medium journey first gen units are still polling strongly, but then a class 185 would also sell well amongst the modern range that seems most of the northern fleet covered. Others that still poll highly include both some GE and NER choices, but while the former might be a novelty with small classes like the E4, the NER has the chance of follow up sales with popular engines like J21 that would nicely sit amongst the G5, J72, Q6 and J27 announced to date. That would put NER in an excellent position to model secondary lines or branches much like the northern version of the stereotypical western branch, especially if standards and eastern region grouping designs were included.

It will be interesting watching the market develop. Whether pre-orders, batch production and costings control the supply to limit what is available and thus drive demand for that purchase. These I also think will be factors, but will need to be discussed another time to stop this getting any longer!

Some very good points in this exhaustive (but not exhausting) screed.  Beattie Well Tanks and Adams Radials in BR or later Southern liveries are only suitable for Wenford Bridge and Lyme Regis respectively, and the class numbers were small, 3 in each case to cover a single duty, one in service, a spare to cover boiler washouts, and one in works.  15xx is another example;, only 10 locos located at Cardiff/Newport/Avonmouth docks and the Old Oak ecs, but that will not stop it being produced and selling well to work pick up trains on rural branch lines, nor will the fact that the 16xx was only in service for a very short time.  The 1361/1366 is another class with low numbers and a restricted geography though they did last a long time...

Multiple units are probably the only area where there are openings for models of classes produced in large numbers and with a wide geographical spread, and the 1st generation modernisation plan units sit square in the middle of a very popular era4/5 timeframe.  120 and 104 are the obvious gap, and if you can tool for a 120 it's only a matter of body and seating mouldings to produce 114, 116, 119, 124, and 125/6. especially if you're already turning out 117s, 121s, and 122s, and not much of a stretch with B4 bogies to go for 123.  104 might be attractive to a manufacturer because it is available in 2-, 3-, and 4-car forms like Metrocamms.  Emus apart from the Southern Region's are a bit thin on the ground as well, especially the 1.500kv and 25kv sets which are an essential part of the scene for those modelling such areas at that period.

If you want some wishlisting from me, it's all GW steam in small classes unlikely to ever appear because there's too much out there already that looks similar but can't be converted into it, a Collett 31xx with a no.4 boiler and 5'3" driving wheels, class of 10 locos, or a decent modern standard 2721; actually, there were a good number of these, and 1854s, and 2021s, and 517s, and Metros up to the end of the 40s.  But we'll see La France or Mrs Kruger first, no doubt...

There was, back in the 80s, a perception that too many exhibition layouts looked the same, with some justification, and a clamouring for 'something different'.  Something different was around, from the likes of Iain Rice, or Dave and Shirley Rowe, whose influence is still palpable, but we are talking about the RTR world here.  I contend that the surviving residue of this desire for something different is the driving force behind Lion, Kestrel, Falcon, et al.  My view is that one should try to model the typical before one runs out of modelling projects and attempts the exceptional, but I am not the prime target customer for the RTR boys. and wot not of what works in marketing and sales.

21 hours ago, Forester said:

I know of no one who buys locos and rolling stock in proportion to the numbers in actual service.

As individuals, no, we don't. As a group, though, we do.

Like most people on the "hobbyist" part of the spectrum, I primarily buy locos that suit whatever I'm working on at the moment, or think I might be working on in the future. I don't deliberately buy something just because it was widespread in real life, I buy it because it happens to fit in with what I'm modelling.

But then, so do other people. It's just that their net partly overlaps with mine. And the more widespread the prototype was, the more likely it is that we will both buy it.

To give an example, if I buy two locos, one relatively uncommon prototype that happens to suit what I'm modelling, and a far more widespread prototype that also fits what I'm modelling, then there's no bias there to the more widespread prototype. But then if someone else also buys two locos, one specific to their project and one which fits anywhere, then the one which fits anywhere could well be bought by both of us.

Locos which had larger numbers in actual service aren't more likely to be bought by me, but they are more likely to be bought by us. Because they will fit into more real life (and fictional) settings than a loco which was very limited in time and/or place.

Now, I know there are exceptions to this, particularly when it comes to locos which have other attributes that make them desirable (see my post a few minutes ago). But a model of a loco that was built in large enough numbers to work in a large variety of different locations, and lasted long enough to be seen in a variety of different liveries, has a big pool of potential customers even if it's otherwise a boring and humdrum workhorse. On the other hand, a model of a loco which only appeared n one place for a relatively short space of time has far fewer potential customers, unless there's something special about it to generate appeal beyond the bounds of those who would normally be modelling that time and place.

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 20:59, Forester said:

While we may smirk at the "impulse" buyers, we all to some extent bias our stock to the things we like the look of - be honest.

No smirking here. By choosing to model  the most aesthetically pleasing area of all the UK railway system, most of what is purchased is automatically also 'things I like the look of'.

A few ugly items which genuinely made their way into this zone of perfection are represented, and by the contrast they provide reveal the sublimity of the achievement.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby et al, and the dealers, certainly don't smirk at the collectors or impulse buyers. That's why pretty and attractive liveries are on the up - they may jump off the shelf to the relatively casual shopper, more so than the 'humble black 0-6-0' that we know to have been the backbone of the railway. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Hornby et al, and the dealers, certainly don't smirk at the collectors or impulse buyers. That's why pretty and attractive liveries are on the up - they may jump off the shelf to the relatively casual shopper, more so than the 'humble black 0-6-0' that we know to have been the backbone of the railway. 

There might also be more incentive to buy one-offs while they're available ... on the other hand, a BR Blue Class 47 is likely to come around again

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/11/2019 at 15:56, AY Mod said:

In fact I didn't receive any emails from anyone experiencing any technical issues or any confusion how to do anything, just individuals grumbling their niche interests were not being accommodated.

And on that point, why oh why oh why oh why wasn't the Hythe Pier railway stock listed on there? There must be at least one person who would vote for it.

Yours,

Disgusted of Hythe.

(just in case....:jester:)

• Funny 5

On 11/11/2019 at 10:22, Frond said:

Please do not think that I am  implying criticism but I am curious as to why as an RMweb member who is clearly interested in the results of the poll, you did not vote?

Your answer might help Brian in his quest for more voters.

Steve

Steve,

I have not been on here for a while unfortunately. Completely missed the poll.

I would have selected S160, J21, A8 and Standard 3. Too late now of course.

cheers

John

My support for the GWR Saint Class 4-6-0, the LBSCR K 2-6-0 and the SR U Class 2-6-0 was overwhelming, but what baffles me is that the only LMS consituent locomotive to make it into the Top 50 is the MR 'Big Bertha' 0-10-0. There are other LMS locomotives with so much potential. It's too bad that there's hardly anything in RTR format, so for the time being, we'll just have to make do with scratch-built or kit-built models (I know I would).

Sorry, I was just impressed by the results and disappointed by the lack of RTR LNWR locomotives.

Edited by LNWR18901910

12 hours ago, OOgaugeJaf said:

Steve,

I have not been on here for a while unfortunately. Completely missed the poll.

I would have selected S160, J21, A8 and Standard 3. Too late now of course.

cheers

John

Thanks John

I missed the poll last year as I was away on holiday. I know that this has already been discussed but perhaps two weeks is a bit too short?

Steve

Edited by Frond
Correct typos

• RMweb Gold

Hello Frond

Press Releases appeared in numerous magazines and websites from late summer.

We gave Advance Notice here on 29 September.

We posted the Q&A on 11 October (which had links to The Poll).

The Poll went live early on Monday 14 October and closed late evening on Saturday 2 November - just under three weeks running time.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

My support for the GWR Saint Class 4-6-0, the LBSCR K 2-6-0 and the SR U Class 2-6-0 was overwhelming, but what baffles me is that the only LMS consituent locomotive to make it into the Top 50 is the MR 'Big Bertha' 0-10-0. There are other LMS locomotives with so much potential. It's too bad that there's hardly anything in RTR format, so for the time being, we'll just have to make do with scratch-built or kit-built models (I know I would).

Sorry, I was just impressed by the results and disappointed by the lack of RTR LNWR locomotives.

Hello LNWR18901910

There were five categories of Steam Locos. Naturally, ER attracted the most voters but LMS was only a comparative handful behind (and others close behind that and similarly with Diesels).

The difference is that LMS voters had spread their votes across the many and not the few. Big Bertha has long been high up in Poll results and one can imagine that many votes there came from collectors.

• Like 1

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Frond said:

but perhaps two weeks is a bit too short?

8 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Press Releases appeared in numerous magazines and websites from late summer.

We gave Advance Notice here on 29 September.

We posted the Q&A on 11 October (which had links to The Poll).

The Poll went live early on Monday 14 October and closed late evening on Saturday 2 November - just under three weeks running time.

I think it's worth mentioning that whilst the poll is running both Brian and I spend quite a bit of time monitoring any questions and responses which means that if people are given longer to vote we have to allocate more time to it. When we started working together on the mechanics of the voting the timing would be based around key announcement dates, these days that's more arbitrary as there's unlikely to be a month when something doesn't get announced and impact the voting in some form or another. lengthening the voting period increases the impact of those events on results too. The Poll team have always been keen to complete the process prior to Warley which is one of the potential announcement dates. Even if we gave more time there'd still be a last minute rush and someone saying they'd missed it or forgotten it!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1