Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Results - The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019

On 21/11/2019 at 16:55, Compound2632 said:

I live and learn. Scope for an interesting DCC feature there? Red hot ingot gradually cooling.

The last design of BR Pig Iron wagon was of all-steel construction, with a sloping floor that allowed drainage after the pigs had been quenched. For whatever reason, these wagons didn't last, and fitted Plates took over.

• Informative/Useful 1

13 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Not sure they were glowing red hot when they were loaded, not that you'd want to touch one; surely that would have resulted in their distorting out of shape, but DCC rain hissing and boiling when it hit them, and a bit of general steam, would be possible.

Their shape didn't matter; they would be remelted at destination. Pig iron was used as an adjunct to scrap in many steelworks and foundries. Sometimes, it was a general goods yard that handled them (Pensnett, for example), on other sites, they'd be taken into the plant (Duport, Llanelli) Whilst most users of pig were in the urban areas, there were some 'outliers' such as 'Compair' in Cornwall.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Now, that's interesting, Brian; foundries can be relatively small establishments by the standards of the iron and steel industry, and it is not impossible that one might be found in the Dimbath Valley served by my little branch.  Not up at the modelled terminus perhaps, but with traffic appearing on the daily pickup.  This deserves thinking about, and I could end up being more interested in a pig iron wagon than I thought I was.  They have a nice chunky heavy engineering look to them.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

For those interested in  ferrous porcine matters, may I point you to two of my recent topics?

I have not seen another Trix pig iron wagon for sale on Ebay for months now!! A shame, as I wouldn't mind a couple more.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Congratulations to KR Models on the announcement that they are seeking expressions of interest for the Fell Diesel 10100. As this is 'EoI', we won't remove the loco from The Poll until there is a 'firm running commitment'.

We wish the company every success with the project. 

The loco has been High Polling since 2014.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

Congratulations to KR Models on the announcement that they are seeking expressions of interest for the Fell Diesel 10100. As this is 'EoI', we won't remove the loco from The Poll until there is a 'firm running commitment'.

We wish the company every success with the project. 

The loco has been High Polling since 2014.

Wheres Chard?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Congratulations to RevolutioN Trains on the announcement of their intent to produce the Ecofret Container Flats. We wish them every success with the project.

The vehicles were listed 'new' this year in The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019. Although they came in Low Polling it should be noted that 1964-Current Freight Stock category always attracts slightly fewer voters than the other Freight categories.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, S&CR said:

Agree with paras 1 & 2.

Re. the S160, I like it because it is ugly, different & WWII vintage. The fact it left our shores in 1945 and I model post WWII I am not bothered about. (I had no idea there is a preserved one in the UK - where?)

There are 8 according to wikipedia - although some are for spares:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USATC_S160_Class#Preservation

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

There are 8 according to wikipedia - although some are for spares:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USATC_S160_Class#Preservation

Don't miss this if you like S160s! https://www.churnetvalleyrailway.co.uk/events/super-power-weekend-take-2.html

The climb up from Leekbrook Junction behind one is worth the price alone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, S&CR said:

Agree with paras 1 & 2.

Re. the S160, I like it because it is ugly, different & WWII vintage. The fact it left our shores in 1945 and I model post WWII I am not bothered about. (I had no idea there is a preserved one in the UK - where?)

One stayed on the Longmoor Military Railway until 1957, WD 93257 "Carl R Gray Jr" .

The first re-import was 5820 for the Keighley & Worth Valley in 1977.

https://kwvr.co.uk/steam-train/steam-train-2/

Jason

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, S&CR said:

It is a self-selecting sample, not random, which quite possibly throws all of your stats out of the window. I can't be more definitive as my stats knowledge is 25-30 years old and therefore somewhat rusty. Sorry.

Hello S&CR

The 00 Poll Team has been running The Wishlist Poll in its (generally consistent) current style since 2012. Prior to that, we had some experience with some of us contributing to what was MREmag in 2010 and 2011 where for convenience sake - not 'grandeur' - we called ourselves The Loco Team.

The results of what we did there and subsequently have remained reasonably consistent over the years, with the greater majority of made items having been in the upper echelons. We have never claimed that models are made directly because of The Poll results as we have no proof.

Even prior to The Loco Team, some of us were involved with the small team that ran the original Poll. That Poll wasn't as widely publicised as the current Poll and didn't draw quite as many voters, but consistency of results across those years can be detected with ease.

We have always been open to how we might attract a more 'random' or 'less self-selective audience' but no-one has yet come up with a solid, predictable formula. The Poll is not only for 'voting'...it has an underlying policy of 'education' and placing items in as logical a presentation context and accuracy of terminology as is possible.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Many congratulations to Hornby on the 2020 announcements today! Excellent news for many!

This is how the new tooling items fared in the 2019 Results...

Top 50

374 votes - BR Std Class 2 2-6-0 (78xxx). Overall position 3rd.

287 votes - LNER Hush Hush. Overall position 10th.

High Polling

186 votes - BR Diag.24 Restaurant Buffet (RB)

182 votes - APT-P

182 votes - W1 60700

149 votes - A2/3

Middle Polling

116 votes - A2/2. (This score places it nicely above the overall halfway mark.)

Low Polling

86 votes - Coronation Scot Coaches. (These were only just in Low Polling. We believe they have much potential for the BR modeller in the future if Hornby has made sensible provisions.)

As something of a notable aside, we recently ran The Quirky Poll. Rocket was overall top-voted item there.

Edited by BMacdermott
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Low Polling

86 votes - Royal Scot Coaches.

Royal Scot coaches or Coronation Scot coaches? It's the latter Hornby have announced, at £431.91 per train. There were some rather magnificent Period 2 coaches built in 1929/30 for the former, which would certainly get my vote!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think that the Coronation Scot is attractive to Hornby as the stock was largely based on or converted from the P3 coaches they already make and the coaches survived in their original form with the pressure ventilation hoods until the BR maroon era. 

It also gives them the opportunity to make the RK with virtually no changes, plus the standard versions of the 65' RFO, 57' BFK and 57' TO with modification to the roof and some interior layouts. Hopefully they have designed the roof cowl as an add-on so it can be easily modified at source to create three extra LMS coaches suitable for three different liveries over a 30-year period.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Charles

Agreed.

I sincerely hope Hornby has 'made provision' for the BR versions as that gives them so much potential. Given that they have made small detail tooling changes on locos and rolling stock recently - such as the Bulleid sides - I look forward to the future of these coaches.

The BR versions have formed part of my 'master plan' and were written into my 'carriage workings' long ago...I'm all set to go!

(As an aside, the A2/2, A2/3 and 60700 were also 'written in' long ago as I am fortunate to have a layout that is generic in format and can 'purport to be' WR, SR. LMR or ER depending on what stock I run.)

Brian (speaking personally)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Congratulations to Oxford on these announcements...we wish them well with the projects and hope they are commercially successful.

Below is how the items fared in The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019:

J26: We listed this previously as a combination with the J27.

Tank Wagon: We're not sure what type this is at the moment...we'll get back in due course. (Edit 12.10 21.01.20 - It seems that this is not a 'new tooling' as is a new livery of the existing models.)

GER Van: This particular item was listed individually many years ago but we had to 'subsume it' into the broader/generic listing of GER Wagons, Vans & Brake Vans. It is certainly a very useful vehicle and looks 'a tad different' to other 4-wheel vans.

Crane: Not in The Poll. We do list a handful, but the subject is so vast that a Poll could be run just for cranes!

Pilchard: Not in The Poll. Another area where we have struggled to shoe-horn items in over the years; the genre is vast!

Edited by BMacdermott
Clarification to Tank Wagon text
  • Like 1

• AY Mod unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

I realised when reading a thread about how often moulds were lost / destroyed that the BR Standard 6MT Clans weren't on the poll wish list.   It is "rumoured" that the Hornby moulds are either lost, OR, withheld by the factory that Hornby used to make the model.  In either case it would SEEM that Hornby cannot easily produce any more Clans unless circumstances change.

1:  Has it been confirmed what the status of the moulds officially is ?

2:  Should the Clans be included in the next poll ?

• RMweb Gold

Hello Phil

The question of 'missing moulds' would best be raised in a thread of its own (or, perhaps, on one of the other Hornby threads).

As the current 'cut-off date' for items appearing in The Poll is 1 January 2005 and that the Clan was produced in 2009, the class is unlikely to be listed for some time.

Edited by BMacdermott
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Congratulations to Dapol on the announcement of the Manor - a long-awaited class! We wish them every success with the project.

In The 00 Wishlist Poll, the Manor has been the 'most wanted' GWR loco since 2015. It was the 'overall most wanted' loco in 2018 but slipped back to 'second most wanted' in 2019... but by just two votes (behind the USATC S-160).

Brian

• Like 2