Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Results - The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019

• RMweb Gold

There seems to be significant demand this year for one-off prototypes such as the "Hush-Hush". The snag from a manufacturer's point of view is that there's only the one engine and, if it's in its original format, only one authentic livery (the "rebuilt" W1 looks very like an A4, anyway). Still, it's the sort of loco that Hornby might do—at least if the P2 was a success.

1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

There seems to be significant demand this year for one-off prototypes such as the "Hush-Hush". The snag from a manufacturer's point of view is that there's only the one engine and, if it's in its original format, only one authentic livery (the "rebuilt" W1 looks very like an A4, anyway). Still, it's the sort of loco that Hornby might do—at least if the P2 was a success.

Plus another unique loco Tornado.

The P2 chassis was made with the streamlined version in mind as well.

They can get for further four versions of the Hush Hush W1, using the chassis (3/4 there with the A4 chassis) as the base, pre and post war LNER Blue , Wartime Black and BR green. They also have the Corridor and Non Corridor Tenders for the P2 and W1 already as well. Seems like a no brainer to me !!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Brian,

Thank you again to you and the team, and Andy Y for running the Poll, and to you for sending hours on RMWeb answering posts.  (No, do not rush to answer this one.)

Yes the Cambrian Jones Goods was a low poller again, but even if it was not, would it be one that was Swindonised or an original Cambrian version, and if so would it be made authentically to keep jumping off the rails.  :)

I noted with interest that pre-grouping wagons did fairly well. as did Dean four and six wheel coaches,  (how many variants were there?  Too many), and clerestories.  I am not sure I am going to give up learning how to use my Silhouette cutter yet.  Also again in the high poll, were the Metro Tank and the 517, so the only thing that is stopping them being made is my unmade kits.  I must get on and do them so that the manufacturers can announce they are going to be made.

I must pay more attention next year to locos that can easily be backdated to an earlier version/ type.  (i.e., I think the Wainwright C can easily pass as an LCDR B2.)

The high poll of the RCH wagons is also interesting, but I have a lot of kits to make before that can be released.

So again very interesting, and thank you.

P.S. If you want a list of locos that will get about 3 votes each, just ask.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Baz

I think I have reported many times that the WD 2-10-0 has been in The Top 50 since 2013 and the S-160 since 2014 (having been around position 75th in 2013).

I have also reported many times that The Poll is for modellers and collectors, so layouts per se aren't a prerequisite.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, ChrisN said:

I noted with interest that pre-grouping wagons did fairly well. as did Dean four and six wheel coaches,  (how many variants were there?  Too many), and clerestories.  I am not sure I am going to give up learning how to use my Silhouette cutter yet.  Also again in the high poll, were the Metro Tank and the 517, so the only thing that is stopping them being made is my unmade kits.  I must get on and do them so that the manufacturers can announce they are going to be made.

The high poll of the RCH wagons is also interesting, but I have a lot of kits to make before that can be released.

Hello Chris

Many thanks for your support and kind comments which are appreciated.

It might be a case in point that Hattons has produced the first 3D-printed Pre-Grouping wagon (for boxed release and general availability in a number of guises that is) as well as the 4- & 6-wheel coaches. Pre-Grouping Freight has been High Polling since we grappled with how to list them all and they now sit firmly in The Top 50. Perhaps the preserved examples at the Bluebell Railway are an influence?

The RCH Coal Wagons were broadly a voter suggestion although The Poll Team had to grapple with how to list them, too. Our split of Freight into four from three categories has helped

You are welcome to submit suggestions with 'supporting evidence and reasons', but we have to say that 59 of the 112 new entries ended up Low Polling. With a potential 30,000 items that could be listed, we have to be careful of overloading - and we are at max permitted load with about 30 items already lined up on the Agenda.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 08/11/2019 at 10:53, BMacdermott said:

Hello Phil

The K polled 280 votes this year. In 2018, it polled 281.

Sorry Folks, that was me. I think I forgot to enter the K class...... Still, the desirability of the class remains pretty constant. 

IMHO, i think that 'natural wastage' will continue to influence the poll. After all, who remembers Jenny Lind? I'd vote for a Sturrock Steam tender!

Well done to the Wishlist Team and administrators. 

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was disappointed the Ruston and Hornsby 88DS (big brother of Hornby's 48DS 0-4-0 diesel shunter) was not available to vote for. I'm supposing it was booted out for being an industrial but BR had seven of them in Eastern Region Departmental use between 1955 and 1970 viz 56,82/3/4/5/6/7 and they'd often be seen at sheds such as Darlington and York. The Ian Allen ABCs of the time sowed confusion about them by listing some as Barclays, which may be why those working only from books would be less aware of their prevalence. 

Edited by Broadway Clive
added Hornby reference

• RMweb Gold

Hello Clive

I am happy to put them on the Agenda for you. They wouldn't have been listed under Industrial as those locos are BR General Railway Service (Departmental) and would fall into that category. I will say here - as I have said to others - that we are on maximum permitted load with many items already on the Agenda.

I we look at those locos we will need to consider these too:

BEL 1 and 2

DS 74 & DS 75

DS 400 &  DS 600

DS 1169

ED 1 as well as ED 2 - ED 7

88 & 89

91 & 92

209 (number not carried)

And that doesn't include the numerous departmental steam locos. Sounds fairly easy when just one type is mentioned, but we have to maintain a balance across the years, regions, steam, diesel etc etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

It might be a case in point that Hattons has produced the first 3D-printed Pre-Grouping wagon (for boxed release and general availability in a number of guises that is) as well as the 4- & 6-wheel coaches.

The 3D-printed wagon referred to is produced by Rails of Sheffield, not Hattons!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Gawd I am getting old - looking through the lists I saw Class 88, had to wander off to Google to remember what it is.

It's a strange electric loco that still works with the pantographs down but have to work in pairs to haul one wagon:rolleyes:6187888_88004.8hartlepool.jpg.8aa88b0083353d8093093f8d1460683d.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coach bogie said:

It's a strange electric loco that still works with the pantographs down but have to work in pairs to haul one wagon:rolleyes:6187888_88004.8hartlepool.jpg.8aa88b0083353d8093093f8d1460683d.jpg

That's nothing. Last time I was in Cumbria I saw one of those wagons being wrestled into submission by no fewer than five class 68s.:jester:

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Broadway Clive said:

I was disappointed the Ruston and Hornsby 88DS (big brother of Hornby's 48DS 0-4-0 diesel shunter) was not available to vote for. I'm supposing it was booted out for being an industrial but BR had seven of them in Eastern Region Departmental use between 1955 and 1970 viz 56,82/3/4/5/6/7 and they'd often be seen at sheds such as Darlington and York. The Ian Allen ABCs of the time sowed confusion about them by listing some as Barclays, which may be why those working only from books would be less aware of their prevalence. 

Hasn't someone already announced the 88DS?

EDIT: Sorry, nobody has. Kernow Models and Heljan have announced the WR Departmental PWM 0-6-0s built by R&H.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dunsignalling said:

Hasn't someone already announced the 88DS?

John

That's the 165DE. The big version rather than the middle one.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/147903-ruston-hornsby-0-6-0de-announced-in-oo-by-kernow-Heljan-model-rail/

If anyone wants a 88DS, Judith Edge make a rather fine kit.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Sparky running without wires? Just like many models then!

Great to see the Class 120 DMU right up there - surely must now be one of the lowest hanging fruits ripe for picking? OK so its a unit with its own modelling dynamics but plenty of others have been done. Syphon G well up there too....

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 3

Looking at the "suggestion" results, why was the Class 142 included given that it is in development with Realtrack?

[edit]

I realize that the category is for remakes, but given that the model is still in development I just wonder if the votes were based on the existing Hornby model and that the voters weren't aware that Realtrack is working on the Class 142?  While it didn't make the cut off for inclusion next year, listing it in this years results without perhaps a note could be misleading to some people.

[/edit]

Edited by mdvle

On 08/11/2019 at 03:46, Oldddudders said:

I am sorry that only 2511 people bothered to vote, since I see the poll as being of interest to many more people across our hobby. That number represents a very small % of RMwebbers, let alone magazine and other media readers whom we might expect to take an interest, and whom we know the team makes strenuous efforts to outreach. 

On 08/11/2019 at 03:51, BMacdermott said:

We are at a loss as to how we might attract more voters. Suggestions welcomed.

I also note all the comments about boosting polling numbers.

While 2,500 would not represent even close to a majority of British outline 00 enthusiasts, and of course, more would be better,  I think it represents a very statistically significant sample. As such it accomplishes the objectives of the poll in terms of producing meaningful and statistically significant data about the collective interests of enthusiasts.

I suspect the outcomes might not actually change that much were there more people contributing.

Letting the internet do a little maths:

The bottom of the top 50 overall vote is 205. This is about 8% of 2511. Assuming an infinite population (which it isn't) and plugging this into this online calculator here, if I have not messed anything up, this means that there is a 95% chance that the real value is within ±1.06% of the measured/surveyed value.

The margin of error (with a 95% confidence interval) of the top vote (393 or 15%) is ±1.40%.

Smaller population sizes will decrease the margin of error.

These are results of which the poll team can feel justifiably proud.

Where increased contribution might make a difference is the open-ended "re-make" questions at the end of the poll.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

Brian,

I note with interest the following:

Top Three Post-2005 00 Re-make Suggestions – Steam, Diesel & Electric Locos

33 Class 37

23 GWR 14xx

17 Class 31

Top Three Post-2005 00 Re-make Suggestions – PCCS, EMUs, DMUs

16 Class 101

15 Class 423

4 VEP 13 Class 142

Top Three Post-2005 00 Re-make Suggestions – NPCCS, Freight & General Railway Service

18 LMS 6-wheel Stove R

There were numerous other suggestions but none garnered more than three votes

How many respondents actually bothered to answer any of these questions? (I deduce that there were at least 34!)

I was at first stumped by these questions, until my preferred steam example popped into my head. Presumably it is one that garnered no more than three votes. ;) I had not anticipated these questions and it makes me wonder how many respondents similarly did not anticipate these questions and have an answer ready.

I was a bit unprepared for the poll (it was released while I was on holiday, and I procrastinated) ending up voting late on the very last day of polling.

Relative to the length of the poll, I do recommend that making it at least two weeks is helpful for people to participate when their holidays happen to line up with part of the polling period.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, mdvle said:

Looking at the "suggestion" results, why was the Class 142 included given that it is in development with Realtrack?

[edit]

I realize that the category is for remakes, but given that the model is still in development I just wonder if the votes were based on the existing Hornby model and that the voters weren't aware that Realtrack is working on the Class 142?  While it didn't make the cut off for inclusion next year, listing it in this years results without perhaps a note could be misleading to some people.

[/edit]

Hello mdvle

We were duty-bound to report on the top three results of each Post-2005 type. If voters felt it was one that they wanted to see re-made, then we had to report it. As noted, we went into the subject 'eyes wide open' but it is clear that many voters didn't. We can only lead horses to water...

Simon Kohler has often said that modellers will come up to him at shows and ask: "When is Loco X coming out?" His reply will often be such as: "Do you mean Loco X that we released in 2016?"

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Oz

Many thanks for writing and for the kind and supportive comments.

As noted, Category 21 wasn't answered fully in the spirit in which we intended it and that was fully expected. Not that voters were 'silly' or 'nasty' - just unfocused.

We know from experience that - no matter what the criteria say - people will write in what they want to say. We imposed a 6-word limit which a number felt didn't apply to them - they were instantly discounted. Some suggestions were in the wrong boxes - again instantly discounted. Others were totally off topic - see where I'm going here?

Overall, there were about:

500 responses to Steam, Diesel or Electric Locos

300 responses to PCCS, DMUs, EMUs

200 responses to NPCCS, Freight and General Railway Service

Out of that c.1000, I'd say about 400 were actually valid. I'm sorry, but it would take a lot of work to go back to my summary sheets and count up and I don't see it as a valid exercise. There is no 'absolute data'.

On 29 September, we posted our thread Advance Notice - The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019. We alluded to the new category and its content.

On 11 October, we posted our thread Q&A - The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019. As is usual, that included the following paragraph (my italics):  If you are an experienced modeller who knows what you want, you can ‘dive straight in’ via the links. However, whilst there is no actual need to access The Guide, we strongly urge you to do so, as we give you a summary of all the items in each category. You will be able to get an overall feel for what you want to vote for before going into the voting section – especially the Freight Stock categories.

The Guide was immediately above that.

We used to run The Poll for four week but reduced to three as we felt that was long enough to cover most people's availability over any given period.

If you are still reading this, I hope it has helped!:)

• Like 6