Oscilloscopes & oscilloscope kits

2mmMark

• RMweb Gold

Looking for opinions, views and maybe personal experience of the small hobby scopes, like the JYETech DSO-SHELL DSO150 and similar.

I'm interested to see the various waveforms that different controllers generate, more out of curiosity that anything else.

Mark

FWIW I bought a DSO 112A off eBay ready-built, I couldn't be bothered to assemble one.  It works OK as a 'scope, but the internal battery wouldn't charge via the micro USB port.  I complained to the vendor and received a full refund, didn't even have to return it!  I now use a small USB power pack, of the kind that are sold as backup chargers for smartphones, to power it.

I'd have thought the DSO150 should be more than adequate for observing controller waveforms.

• RMweb Premium

I bought a small Farnell dual channel Scope at a car boot for £5, there was a couple there selling off their Dads old TV repair kit.. all the stuff I got wworked OK..

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, TheQ said:

I bought a small Farnell dual channel Scope at a car boot for £5, there was a couple there selling off their Dads old TV repair kit.. all the stuff I got wworked OK..

My late uncle was a TV technician for ILEA so he'd have had a scope but perhaps a bit bigger than I'd have room for!

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, 2mmMark said:

My late uncle was a TV technician for ILEA so he'd have had a scope but perhaps a bit bigger than I'd have room for!

If it were one of the old Valve powered ones I started on, it'd be a pretty good heater as well.

The Farnell is all transistor,

Now have sat beside me at work, a  Ohm meter, Voltage meter AC/ DC , Current meter, frequency meter, temperature meter, capacitance meter and a Scope. all in one Box with an 8.5Digit display..

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, TheQ said:

If it were one of the old Valve powered ones I started on, it'd be a pretty good heater as well.

The Farnell is all transistor,

Now have sat beside me at work, a  Ohm meter, Voltage meter AC/ DC , Current meter, frequency meter, temperature meter, capacitance meter and a Scope. all in one Box with an 8.5Digit display..

Laurie was definitely old school electronics. 405 lines and all that!

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

I bet it has a digital clock too! 

I used to use a logic analyser a lot in the late 80s/early 90s. I can't remember now for sure if it was a Tektronix or HP one (probably HP, my boss at the time liked HP stuff), but I do remember it had a built in Connect4 game for when you got bored of analysing stuff. 

• Like 1