Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Hey, all. Those of you that know me know that I love kitbashing. But I also love finding surprising items like kitbashes of freelance designs and such online when I'm looking for things. So inspired by the Bargain Hunters thread and my friend Corbs' Pugbash thread, I decided to create this thread with the intention of showcasing and discussing the cool, unusual or just plain odd second-hand creations we RMWebbers have found for sale while surfing the web.
I'll start things off with the item that made me think of starting this thread in the first place:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODIFIED-Hornby-OO-GAUGE-REPAINTED-LNER-BLACK-0-6-0-STEAM-LOCOMOTIVE-4812-T17/131633861634?hash=item1ea5fd5402:g:X0gAAOSwo0JWJ0l3
This interesting LNER themed freelance 0-6-0 goods engine from the Rails of Sheffield eBay listings.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not as bad as some of my teenage abominations, the worst of which was a Triang Jinty chassis with an Airfix plastic construction 61xx and some plasticard, the new wonder material, sitting on top of it purporting to be a 56xx.  Another offence against the laws of nature was a 42xx; Hornby Dublo Stanier 8F underpinnings with the cab, tanks, bunker, cylinders and motion of another 61xx, a boiler from an Airfix kit City Of Truro, and more plasticard.  

All of which I learned a great deal from, mostly, not to ever try anything as daft ever again!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Not as bad as some of my teenage abominations, the worst of which was a Triang Jinty chassis with an Airfix plastic construction 61xx and some plasticard, the new wonder material, sitting on top of it purporting to be a 56xx.  Another offence against the laws of nature was a 42xx; Hornby Dublo Stanier 8F underpinnings with the cab, tanks, bunker, cylinders and motion of another 61xx, a boiler from an Airfix kit City Of Truro, and more plasticard.  

All of which I learned a great deal from, mostly, not to ever try anything as daft ever again!

Good Lord, that sort of stuff you just described sounds startlingly reminiscent of when I was first starting with kitbashing. 

And I've also seen far worse, though the cab could use some work and the fact that the dome is taller than the chimney drives me nuts. I've seen far worse when combing eBay before which I've shown to Sem34090 when talking to him. If he's reading this he may recall this apocalyptic conversion of a Triang Pannier which had been turned into an ugly-as-sin box tank. 

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1

It seems to be a MR 3F masquerading as a vague approximation of a J40/J41. Number is from a J39.

https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j40j41.php

It might have sentimental value to whoever built it or their family, but £40! It probably doesn't even have £40 worth of spares in it. Might be worth a fiver at best.

Jason

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

It seems to be a MR 3F masquerading as a vague approximation of a J40/J41. Number is from a J39.

https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j40j41.php

It might have sentimental value to whoever built it or their family, but £40! It probably doesn't even have £40 worth of spares in it. Might be worth a fiver at best.

Jason

Still I'd say it's worth a chance if someone's willing to spruce it up so if anyone wants it feel free. If you need a nondescript small goods engine it'll really fit in on any layout. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 19:23, Flying Pig said:

It seems to have the Triang B12 tender - is it supposed to be a J15 perhaps?

If the Belpaire firebox had been left alone and the B12 cab grafted on, with some further 'Stratfordisation' it would be more convincing for a J17. Seen that done quite well in the long ago.

(For the truly adventurous; take the old Triang Hornby 'Jinty' chassis block, drill new axle holes just beyond the existing both ends, then combine with a heavily modified B12 body and the B12 tender, makes into the near 19' wheelbase sort of LNER round top reboilered J20. There was so little stuff available to work with that great crimes were inevitable...)

• Agree 1