Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

41 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

If the Belpaire firebox had been left alone and the B12 cab grafted on, with some further 'Stratfordisation' it would be more convincing for a J17.

Agreed, I've seen a few very nice J17 conversions.

42 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

For the truly adventurous; take the old Triang Hornby 'Jinty' chassis block, drill new axle holes just beyond the existing both ends, then combine with a heavily modified B12 body and the B12 tender, makes into the near 19' wheelbase sort of LNER round top reboilered J20. There was so little stuff available to work with that great crimes were inevitable.

Bit beyond my ability that. 

Looks like something made by a third party to fit on a RTR clockwork chassis. I would guess at pre war, early 1950s at the latest, Probably painted by the recipient.

"Got a Hornby train, want the new A4 but can't afford a proper one? Buy one of these and you can have one"

Is it any worse than the stuff churned out by Brio and the like? Even though it's metal it'll be aimed at that sort of age group....

Jason

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

The LNER got a bit carried away following Mallard's exploits on Stoke Bank and the publicity department approached the National Physical Laboratory with a request that they calculate what an A4 might look like at relativistic speed.  The NPL's reply has not survived, but it was clearly not encouraging.  Subsequently the LNER found an undergraduate* on the Cambridge express and bribed him with Lyons fruit pies to do the work for them.  This appears to be the model he made, so it goes without saying that it is a Rare! item.

*unfortunately he was studying Classics and it shows.

• Funny 7

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Scratch-Built-Country-Village-Town-Pub-Hornby-Scenecraft-Skaledale/153748744329?hash=item23cc23a889:g:38sAAOSwTO9d5sy-
This guy is making and selling a huge amount of scratchbuilt buildings, so you country modellers snatch them up while you can!

Also this thread was intended to be communal. Am I the only one looking for this sort of stuff online? I'm joking of course, but still, I'm sure there's got to be more people on here who want to share the strange and usual stuff that they find out there.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Annie said:

That is a very nicely made model.  If all the models he makes are as good as that he should have no trouble finding buyers.

Oh, they really are.

Also found these very nice Hornby 4-wheeler conversions:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-gauge-4x-SCRATCHBUILT-Hornby-Caledonian-Bogie-Coach-Blue-Livery-UNUSUAL/323970897663?hash=item4b6e2b96ff:g:wJUAAOSwhBNdweLn

• Like 1

On 05/12/2019 at 17:04, RedGemAlchemist said:

That seller is also selling very quaint Christmas wagons on their listings and I’ve seen them in the flesh at York antique centre and they are very intricate! 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, ianmacc said:

That seller is also selling very quaint Christmas wagons on their listings and I’ve seen them in the flesh at York antique centre and they are very intricate! 

Hmm. Hadn't seen those. I'm not really looking for a Christmas train but I'll certainly have a look. 

Continuing on, encountered on Hattons...
image.png.7a6ac65fcb4a174b2479070a67b2db1e.png

Anglicised Fleischmann DB 4000. Similar to what I planned to do with the same actually. It's the only one I can find of someone else thinking of doing this as well, which is a bit of a shame as it makes a good approximation of a standard gauge George England product or a Edward Borrows & Sons loco.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/12/2019 at 17:04, RedGemAlchemist said:

Certainly unusual; even I can hide joins better than that!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Certainly unusual; even I can hide joins better than that!

The real problem with the Hornby 4-wheelers as bashing material is the weird beading.  There are more convincing starting points knocking around:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Hmm. Hadn't seen those. I'm not really looking for a Christmas train but I'll certainly have a look. 

Took a few pictures today in case anyone’s interested? Not cheap for sure but charming use of old triang wagons!

50B70BB0-2680-4021-B83F-6AF8E4A7CB0B.jpeg

B6963E2D-9D05-497A-B7F7-9201B02C2023.jpeg

B0DC25A5-16ED-4A2C-99E7-C8868F2EB299.jpeg

007FDC2C-F187-4DC1-8D6A-01FE35449030.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Wow. Been very quiet on this thread. I intended this for everyone's use. 

Anyway, some more nice creations from eBay for your viewing pleasure. All made by the same guy and he's done quite a few of these. Little scenic modules, ready to be planted straight into a layout.

1726526829_s-l500(1).jpg.6c59997c57e0f374b90fc1f2f0a6cbab.jpg

1015783156_s-l500(2).jpg.f6be8f739d6b51619babf2f39ca6f2ea.jpg

316686294_s-l500(3).jpg.5050d6a5c889688c9be9b2bb7230743b.jpg

1034138923_s-l500(4).jpg.20134d3e49fe3570df707ced3adcd459.jpg

s-l500.jpg.969b2e79367e10052167274e0ed02a5d.jpg

They're all for sale on this person's eBay, and they apparently are made specifically for sale. The guy's username is sherriel and I'd recommend having a look, as this is just a very small selection of what they have. And as always, if anyone else finds something cool, weird or interesting feel free to chuck them up here. Like I said, this is not a private thread just for me to post up what I find, it's for everyone to do the same. I want to see what other weird and wonderful creations are out there.

• Like 2

Now, THIS is the kind of thing I made this thread to discuss. 

image.png.01a267ebde2b27abe83c04216a9f4f3b.png

This engine is adorable, and quite unlike anything I've ever seen. Very cute. Sem, Alex, anyone, any use to anyone? 

But yeah, this is the type of kitbashing handiwork I made this thread to discuss... that or the exact opposite in the sense of "so bad/confusing it's hilarious".

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

I'd love to buy it but... I can't afford it, so I put it to you guys. Click the picture for the eBay link.

Pffft. Eighty nine quid and 50p?! Think I'll pass. 

• Funny 1

49 minutes ago, TT-Pete said:

Pffft. Eighty nine quid and 50p?! Think I'll pass. 

To be fair though, it is a one-of-a-kind kitbash, and it is apparently motorised. Outside of my price range obviously, but for a one-off of this quality I'd say that's an okay price.

10 minutes ago, eldomtom2 said:

Rather reminiscent of the Tralee and Dingle's original number 4.

Not familiar with that one. I'll have to look it up.