Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

On 09/11/2019 at 12:50, RedGemAlchemist said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plaster-of-Paris-Cottage-00-Gauge-Built-Kit/303138637677?hash=item469478876d:g:w9QAAOSwxdtaqrph

s-l1600.jpg.9dddbd9fcf6c67042bd129f9236c2d2f.jpg

Just found this too. A small cottage made of plaster of paris... with no door. How odd.

Buying properties with no way in is the in-thing these days

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-51310566

in the end it sold for £1

• Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-SCRATCH-KIT-BUILT-SOUTHERN-SR-0-4-0-TANK-LOCO-556-WEATHERED-mw/331201657044?hash=item4d1d2838d4:g:4RoAAOxyCTtTcRwd

Another interesting find. I'm not totally sure if I've put this up before, but this little modified 101 might be interesting. It's still rather expensive but it's quite cute.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/scalemodelstudio?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I also found this guy, who also makes beautiful diorama sections for model railways.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

• 1 month later...

We're baaaaack...

Well, here we are again, talking about weird and interesting eBay finds. I'll start off with this little thing:

image.png.9786d773cdab329ad8ae83563556c47e.png

This beautiful 4-4-2 tank (as always, link is attached to the picture). It's a bit expensive at just under £120, but considering it's kit-built and ready motorised I'd say it's worth it. I can't afford that though.

On the other hand... this.

image.png.5d14f78544d236e2e2e1f4a1d47ef8a9.png

It's scratchbuilt so it has that going for it, but also... what. Just. What. What is this even meant to be? I honestly can't think of anything this is analogous to. 

• Funny 1

10 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

On the other hand... this.

image.png.5d14f78544d236e2e2e1f4a1d47ef8a9.png

It's scratchbuilt so it has that going for it, but also... what. Just. What. What is this even meant to be? I honestly can't think of anything this is analogous to. 

It could be a part finished model. To complete it:

a) Remove the vertical sides of the bogie with no wheels, and the coupling

b) Attatch a horizontal bracket to the back of Hornby's Bagnall*

c) Attatch the bracket to the remaining section of the bogie

d) Wonder why on earth your new lorry on rails is any better than a normal train

*Other small shunters are available Those with more money than sense may wish to substitute for Bachmann's class 03 in BR Blue

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, DK123GWR said:

It could be a part finished model. To complete it:

a) Remove the vertical sides of the bogie with no wheels, and the coupling

b) Attatch a horizontal bracket to the back of Hornby's Bagnall*

c) Attatch the bracket to the remaining section of the bogie

d) Wonder why on earth your new lorry on rails is any better than a normal train

*Other small shunters are available Those with more money than sense may wish to substitute for Bachmann's class 03 in BR Blue

Mate, just stick rail wheels onto your Hilux like everyone else XD

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've been scouring eBay for bargains and found this cute little guy:
image.png.e34a9e6367c4097ed4ebc61561bd9272.png

It appears to be a Dapol Pug body on a Hornby 0-4-0T chassis, which is a new one. Gives it a bit of an interesting look to be honest, though the inside cylinders on an 0-4-0ST do look a tad odd.

Second, I encountered the classic Hornby Caley - with a stovepipe chimney and bizarre red buffers.

s-l1600.jpg.8a967c57235295caa3d9c0ec9b786a9a.jpg

The paintwork is probably the best bit of it all (sorry if the person who made this is reading). I'm not a gigantic fan of the Hornby Caley anyway due to how terrible the chassis looks and the over-fast motor (do like the body-shell though, excellent bashing fodder). 

Also just realised I forgot to link them for if anyone wants them. Crud. 

• Agree 1

On 19/03/2020 at 13:07, RedGemAlchemist said:

gwzMzAo.jpg

Copy of the image so that once the listing goes down (whether by someone buying it or it expiring) the KB can still be... appreciated? Is that the right word?

On 20/05/2020 at 03:15, doctor quinn said:

fcI9Cy4.jpg

Same here

Edited by lepidotos
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, great central said:

This is a bit on the wild side, seller has quite a few similar locos among some better looking wagons and other stuff.

Not sure that some of them deserve the descriptions of very good and even excellent though?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-GOOD-UNPOWERED-KIT-BUILT-WHITE-METAL-BR-O4-2-CLASS-LOCO-63685-/353087863905

They're certainly not bad. I'd seen them around a few times but hadn't put them up here as, honestly, I didn't think they were interesting enough to talk about. 

On 26/05/2020 at 19:53, RedGemAlchemist said:

Well, I've been scouring eBay for bargains and found this cute little guy:
image.png.e34a9e6367c4097ed4ebc61561bd9272.png

It appears to be a Dapol Pug body on a Hornby 0-4-0T chassis, which is a new one. Gives it a bit of an interesting look to be honest, though the inside cylinders on an 0-4-0ST do look a tad odd.

Sharp Stewart built 0-4-0STs with inside cylinders for the Furness and for the Cambrian Railways.

• RMweb Gold

I'm taking a renewed interest in this, as a rebuild of Cwmdimbath means there is an opening for a Colliery loco.  An RTR Peckett or Andrew Barclay would be best, but my cash has to be reserved for the Baccy 94xx first, and a cheapo temporary loco might be fun.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, and welcome to a new edition of "Let's Review Red's Random eBay Finds"! Start off with a pair of cute saddle tanks, one a Percy on a Dapol chassis, the other a nice Hawthorn Leslie Bachmann Jr bash which just needs its slide bars popped back on. Both linked via the pictures if anyone is interested.

image.png.4ef84533da2b79b49936dfae89185d6f.png

s-l1600.jpg.7c8af0fd98c406097291a6eb8439d961.jpg

Secondly, is this lovely scratchbuilt tank loco body shell.

738033398_s-l1600(2).jpg.ba50bf4019044d7940ae710947cec2f5.jpg

If you don't recognise the style, this is from al305, who I think might be the guy who made the scratchbuilt Pacific tank that became my No.10 from a year or so back in my workbench thread. Certainly looks to have been made in the same manner. 

538155886_s-l1600(3).jpg.cff213f72dc093a846e4c3ccfd01bcc7.jpg

...guess we're having a nice item day. Little box tank on a Nellie chassis, think it's either a Nielson or an Andrew Barclay, Pretty low price at the moment too, if anyone is interested. Also gave me a chuckle that they noted that the body IS CAST IRON in all caps. So far so good.

Aaand spoke too soon.

1362689420_s-l1600(4).jpg.be4f62afd46626ce0cdce540aa6228d4.jpg

How the hell do you not notice that your pannier tank's boiler is put on backwards before selling it?

1558905494_s-l1600(5).jpg.f14fe87976c377c58392b18124c59aa7.jpg

...someone call LeoKimVideo. I'm done for today.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

Red

Enjoyed your thread but please tell me - what is the secret to finding these wonderful offerings?  Having to use the browser version of eBay due to the current app not working on my iPad; how do you limit the search to our area of interest - closest I can get is "collectables" which does bring up "interesting" results but not model railway related!

UPDATE: just literally stumbled upon how to do it!  The question below still stands!

Also, how do you get the images into the thread, rather than just an eBay page reference? Sadly some of your earlier finds are now "page not found"!

In anticipation of discovering some real oddities!

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
First question resolved!

11 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Also, how do you get the images into the thread, rather than just an eBay page reference? Sadly some of your earlier finds are now "page not found"!

That's actually quite simple. Save the picture, insert them into your post, double click the photo and copy-paste the link into the URL bar that pops up.
Also yes, dealing with eBay stuff does that unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

This is more of a first attempt ...

EBay item No: 293618544066     (How do you get the full URL link?)

Weedkiller train. Bespoke.

Admittedly the seller does say "It does not purport to be a model of an actual prototype train" but it's a full on kitbash!

Saved image/imported file -

IMG_1091.JPG.19bf553135496846bdc58a4c6f568c7e.JPG

Can't find a way of getting a larger photo!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Attempting to attach URL

14 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

That's actually quite simple. Save the picture, insert them into your post, double click the photo and copy-paste the link into the URL bar that pops up.
Also yes, dealing with eBay stuff does that unfortunately.

I wonder if that works off the app?  Using Safari and browsing eBay, I cannot save the larger photo only the "thumbnail" that links to a larger photo.  When I then insert it into the post using Click to choose files, double clicking the photo (either in the attached files section or within the post) doesn't do anything!  

At least the price asked of the Weedkiller Train (£12) doesn't have a spurious zero on the end!

Steve S

• Agree 1