Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

On 24/06/2020 at 22:07, doctor quinn said:

Professor Elemental’s weed killing train?

Nice to see someone else who listens to him! 

image.png.a437f71c9bd7a45cc509008e0240c972.png

First for today is this little thing which I was just discussing on eBay Madness. I love seeing these sorts of things, they always look so goofy. 

image.png.b1e321cfc3bfab57f222fdc662b906bc.png

Following up is this slightly nicer model, a scratchbuilt Wisbech and Upwell Y7 made from cardboard on a Triang Nellie chassis I think. Link in the picture as per usual.

• RMweb Premium

Good old cardboard.  I made a lot of models in cardboard when i was younger since it was cheap and made my pocket money go further.  Still kept on with using cardboard when I was older too.  Treated and painted properly the final result can look very nice indeed.

And that's no 'Nellie' chassis that it's fitted with.

15 hours ago, Annie said:

And that's no 'Nellie' chassis that it's fitted with.

Granted, the photos aren't overly good.

15 hours ago, Annie said:

Good old cardboard.  I made a lot of models in cardboard when i was younger since it was cheap and made my pocket money go further.  Still kept on with using cardboard when I was older too.  Treated and painted properly the final result can look very nice indeed.

You already know my issues with cardboard.

Hello again all! Been scouring the dark depths of eBay for odd and interesting creations, and found some good ones I feel.

Jul14-1.jpg.ad9d7dbd494df1f0b2fb95068692d2f0.jpg

First off is this beautifully modified Airfix 4F, which when I first saw it I initially thought it was one of @Corbs's creations thanks to the colour scheme and the quality, then I looked a bit closer and noticed that he'd have touched up the pipework near the smokebox as I doubt he'd just let that slide without it being perfect. That aside, it looks fantastic. Auction link in picture as per usual.

In fact all of this guy's stuff is nice. Their username is m15pkb, comes recommended.

Next up:

Jul14-2.jpg.4df922359eab65e5b37e3a5a9d11431e.jpg

Someone's failed attempt at making a Thomas OC. Not linked because I can't see many reasons why anyone would want this.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

My June 4th post is sort of superceded; I'd still like a Peckett or Barclay for the colliery but for now it will make do with Cyclops, a Triang Dockafority repainted into a cod NCB blue livery and provided with nameplates, a cab interior, and a driver.  It is similar to some Bagnall locos but needs bigger buffers and some work on the front windows; it's not a bl**dy Deltic!  Here it is...

IMG_0435.jpg

Not quite off topic; I bought it on eBay.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

My June 4th post is sort of superceded; I'd still like a Peckett or Barclay for the colliery but for now it will make do with Cyclops, a Triang Dockafority repainted into a cod NCB blue livery and provided with nameplates, a cab interior, and a driver.  It is similar to some Bagnall locos but needs bigger buffers and some work on the front windows; it's not a bl**dy Deltic!  Here it is...

IMG_0435.jpg

Not quite off topic; I bought it on eBay.

Very cute, and it's a good example of the fact that the modified or scratch stuff that is meant to be on this thread doesn't just have to be bad.

I mean it doesn't help that nine times out of ten I'm the only person who contributes anything to this thread but still (not a rant, just an observation that this seems to be the least popular of my maín threads). 

• RMweb Gold

Cyclops as a result of the single headlight, and yes, she's so cute she sh*ts kittens...   

Crude Triang toy, but scrubbed up well.  Larger more industrial buffers are on order, but I'm very pleased with her, considering her dotage; a good deep cleaning and she runs smooth down to walking pace, fine for shunting, and with a bit of attention to back2backs runs perfectly through Streamline insulfrogs.  She's credibly quiet and well behaved, more. than I have a reasonable right to expect from a model that must be 50 years old with 20:1 gearing and a 3-pole motor.  Also, with the knurled wheels, she'll pull a house down!

I may one day replace her chassis with something with a jackshaft; for now she's assumed to be a dh.  The horn would suit a Deltic as well as the front windows, a bit overkill but it's part of her charm.

29 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Cyclops as a result of the single headlight, and yes, she's so cute she sh*ts kittens...

I gathered.

29 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Crude Triang toy

One of my main locos is a repainted Triang Nellie and the majority of my fleet is also of Triang stock. Triang to me just means "more than it seems if you know where to look." I've actually had one of these little guys on my list for a while now as a possible alternative to a Ruston if I can't get one cheap.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

• RMweb Gold

It’s got the 50’s vibe I was after, and oozes character.  They come up at less than £20 BIN on ‘Bay sometimes, and are about as mechanically and electrically simple as is possible.  The original headlight bulb was still working on mine, but I removed it and it’s holder in order to ballast the loco as much as possible.  

There are limits to how much you can improve Dockafority within the envelope of retaining the original mech, as the double ended drive shaft protrudes into the space of the lower cab and prevents detailing there.  So, no cab floor or transmission lump, but at the same time the cab is an empty space with big windows, so Cyclops has a Modelu industrial driver and a dual sided control console with levers for direction, power, and straight air brake, and somewhat representational dials for oil pressure, coolant temperature, rpm, and hydraulic fluid pressure.  There should be a cord or chain to set off that Queen Mary hooter...

She’ll do as a colliery loco until such time as I can afford a Peckett or an Andrew Barclay, but there are other more important items first; Baccy 94xx and Comet coaches, for instance.  When a steam loco arrives at the colliery, Cyclops will be retained as spare; no way am I ever scrapping her!

Edited by The Johnster

• 2 weeks later...

Two odd ducks from the preowned section of Hattons:

R150S-HD01_3290427_Qty1_1.jpg.2059b8de72407687c5447bd79ed2bd36.jpg

This was vaguely described as a "GCR/LNWR 4-6-0". Its heritage as a Hornby B12 is rather obvious.

R2483-PO06_3543588_Qty1_1.jpg.f17040caa3af9e8c9b3d42d33324a242.jpg

This is still available, and inexplicably costs £70, the highest of any of the Dapol terriers available pre-owned.

11 minutes ago, eldomtom2 said:

Two odd ducks from the preowned section of Hattons:

R150S-HD01_3290427_Qty1_1.jpg.2059b8de72407687c5447bd79ed2bd36.jpg

This was vaguely described as a "GCR/LNWR 4-6-0". Its heritage as a Hornby B12 is rather obvious.

R2483-PO06_3543588_Qty1_1.jpg.f17040caa3af9e8c9b3d42d33324a242.jpg

This is still available, and inexplicably costs £70, the highest of any of the Dapol terriers available pre-owned.

I like the first one. Clearly they're trying to replicate either the Whale Experiment Class or the Bowen-Cooke Prince of Wales Class. I give it a solid 10/10 for effort, but not so much for execution, but at least I can tell what it is and the lining is quite nice.

And why is a partly repainted Dapol Terrier at £70 secondhand? Not saying it's not worth it, I've heard the Dapol Terrier is a great little loco, but £70 secondhand is a bit much.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

• RMweb Premium

What always amuses me is ebay vendors who take photos in their darkest cupboard after haphazardly scattering what they're selling about and making sure they have plenty of dust on the camera lense.

• Agree 1

I can see what this particular person was trying to do, but still that just looks a bit weird.

Jul30-1.jpg.d648f9e6935d6f9c3bd72d5cf6e526a4.jpg

Not the first person I've seen try and turn a Jinty into an 0-4-0T, but easily the most slapdash. Just sticking a Jinty shell onto a Bagnall chassis isn't really a good fit.

Also decided to put these up as and when I find them from now on rather than in big lumps. Should mean more regular updates.

• Like 1

This one is definitely a new one on me.

Aug1-1.jpg.0e20a37c9f526d46726dff611de9ba2d.jpg

It appears to be one of the slapdash-looking logging engines built for temporary lines in the US built onto a Triang chassis. Is it clunky? Sure, but no more so than the real locomotives which apparently inspired this. 

It turned up when I was looking for cheap chassis for motorising an Airfix Pug kit I found in a second-hand shop down the road from my house while out walking on Thursday.

Next up is this GORGEOUS LMS 4-6-0 freelance kitbash.

Aug1-2.jpg.0531fdb5381d0255a73a96cfdb43e000.jpg

I would have bought this myself but I'd genuinely feel bad about painting this gorgeous paintwork into KLR Green. Does anyone know any LMS modellers? Link in the picture as per usual.

Aaaand another recommended seller. Name is clairegilmore75 and she makes beautiful scratchbuilt OO resin buildings. 

Aug1-3.jpg.c79f5771cc13bbcb7a82f89eb65a7865.jpg

I mean look at this. LOOK. AT. THIS. Highly recommended, as these are absolutely masterful.

And HOW IS THIS STILL ON eBAY?

Aug1-4.jpg.d9db4a6401fbb42facf627349d303151.jpg

I mean it's been... how long since I first mentioned this little 0-4-0T? Four months maybe? Jeez.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

This one is definitely a new one on me.

Aug1-1.jpg.0e20a37c9f526d46726dff611de9ba2d.jpg

It appears to be one of the slapdash-looking logging engines built for temporary lines in the US built onto a Triang chassis.

That looks to me like it's been made from a Kitmaster Italian Tank kit.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I keep running across an eBay 'Iron Duke'; a Triang Britannia with the smoke deflectors missing and the Walchearts valve gear removed, for £50 or so.  The nameplates are clearly sticky back paper, and the model is described as scale.  This has been going on for about 3 or 4 years; it disappears for a while and then comes back for another go; I'll post it here next time I see it!

5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I keep running across an eBay 'Iron Duke'; a Triang Britannia with the smoke deflectors missing and the Walchearts valve gear removed, for £50 or so.  The nameplates are clearly sticky back paper, and the model is described as scale.  This has been going on for about 3 or 4 years; it disappears for a while and then comes back for another go; I'll post it here next time I see it!

There's quite a few of them about, originally done as a special for a catalogue firm train set I believe.

7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Funny, I've not seen that.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, great central said:

There's quite a few of them about, originally done as a special for a catalogue firm train set I believe.

Ah, that explains it.  There's one at the moment without nameplates or a tender going for around £15, which is a bit more like it.  They are in unlined green livery, and there is a sort of half Walcheart's in that the bit of the gear that doesn't move in Triang's iteration of it is there, but the eccentric link isn't, sort of Walcheart's lite.  Ir's otherwise the Triang Britannia, from the flangeless centre driver days. the Late Ordovician in RTR model railway terms.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...