Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

• RMweb Premium

Certainly a quick way to make a Tram engine Red, but the ducket really should be removed to make a convincing job of it.  The second one is more convincing and I think the first one would be too much of tailwagger to work safely over any tightly curved trackwork such as might be found at docks or factories.  

The second one looks a bit like the G13¾ tram engines I use on the Hopewood Tramway with its shorter length.

11 hours ago, Annie said:

Certainly a quick way to make a Tram engine Red, but the ducket really should be removed to make a convincing job of it.  The second one is more convincing and I think the first one would be too much of tailwagger to work safely over any tightly curved trackwork such as might be found at docks or factories.  

Agreed. Still, they definitely gave it the old college try which deserves some applause.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Aug30-1.jpg.dc2bd8ef2fc4d1ceb8324af5a141efad.jpg

I mentioned this in a quick conversation with my good friend @sem34090. This appears to be an LNER A5 built out of a Triang B12. It's very well made, but the paint job is a) inexplicably Midland, and b) in the words of another good friend, @Annie, looks like it was applied with a trowel. Might want to snap it up before sem does, as it's quite cheap.

Then there's this.
Aug30-2.jpg.cfe84b4b53563fc24fd37ced6134a66f.jpg

Big, well-made Georgian manor house... that looks like my boss' mum's old place from before she moved into my boss' place (she's a nonagenarian bless her). This guy, colin2611, actually has a lot of nice modified Skaledale and Hornby stuff. I'd check it out.

Another of his that I liked; a Skaledale miner's cottage which has been beautifully repainted and detailed.

Aug30-3.jpg.db13e37b6bbf92ff53aa89d2a626181f.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

image.png.65b3b778240c0404a8750a78457f2f3d.png

...for £100 on eBay.

facepalm_hugh_laurie.gif.2f174cd077d1d324aea5ef891721fe65.gif

On the other side of the spectrum, this beautiful N gauge Thomas made on a Graham Farish Pannier chassis:

image.png.2ef8e00b2ab3bbdb9618d0a0b1ca883b.png

(Not linked as it's £225 but worth mentioning as it's really well done.)

I think you can actually buy N gauge Thomas items from Japan. 

On 22/11/2020 at 22:05, RedGemAlchemist said:

image.png.65b3b778240c0404a8750a78457f2f3d.png

...for £100 on eBay.

facepalm_hugh_laurie.gif.2f174cd077d1d324aea5ef891721fe65.gif

On the other side of the spectrum, this beautiful N gauge Thomas made on a Graham Farish Pannier chassis:

image.png.2ef8e00b2ab3bbdb9618d0a0b1ca883b.png

(Not linked as it's £225 but worth mentioning as it's really well done.)

I wonder if the Flying Scotsman is a cynical bit of opportunism. Hornby did produce a variant of Flying Scotsman in the Thomas range. Inexplicably, they based it on the Ertl version, which was simply a repaint of their Gordon. So the Hornby version of the character had a face similar but not identical to Gordon and a Gresley tender with lining intended for a Fowler example.

Anyway, the point I'm rambling towards is, Hornby Thomas stuff is going for stupid prices on eBay at the moment. Maybe someone thinks they can cash in.

On 23/11/2020 at 19:08, RedGemAlchemist said:

You can - Tomix make them - but that one is clearly custom and it's really nice. Looks like the body might be an old ERTL one actually.

It's better detailed than the Ertl one - the Ertl bunker didn't have separate coal rails, the whistle was painted on and the buffers and chimney were cruder.

• Like 2

On 25/11/2020 at 12:18, HonestTom said:

It's better detailed than the Ertl one - the Ertl bunker didn't have separate coal rails, the whistle was painted on and the buffers and chimney were cruder.

The point is it's nice.

Moving on:
image.png.bbdb40db132c1b1a2e770ddf6d6a0e61.png

: here is a really nicely modified Nellie. Linked of course. Not sure about that chimney but the rest is really nice. Very much deserves a mention.

The same seller also has a Swindonised Jinty.

image.png.b8f70db216403f1803923306da3863d5.png

• Like 4

Today we have something quite interesting:

image.png.61a5789cdc5bcb6b15e7df0a1b90be41.png

Here is someone's attempt at making a Henry. I've definitely seen much worse, but it is in a rather poor state. Also not quite sure whose face that is. Also apparently he's a Patriot now. Alrighty then.

Scroll down the page and... oh God, not another one...

image.png.072e269691e55ed1475f9b8b45233589.png

This time with Percy's face, which looks even dumber. Also the listing calls this... thing "Jock", which last time I checked was the name of one of the Arlesdale engines and not a standard-gauge character. Again a stupid price (£120!!!

• Funny 3

On 28/11/2020 at 11:04, RedGemAlchemist said:

Today we have something quite interesting:

image.png.61a5789cdc5bcb6b15e7df0a1b90be41.png

Here is someone's attempt at making a Henry. I've definitely seen much worse, but it is in a rather poor state. Also not quite sure whose face that is. Also apparently he's a Patriot now. Alrighty then.

Scroll down the page and... oh God, not another one...

image.png.072e269691e55ed1475f9b8b45233589.png

This time with Percy's face, which looks even dumber. Also the listing calls this... thing "Jock", which last time I checked was the name of one of the Arlesdale engines and not a standard-gauge character. Again a stupid price (£120!!!

I wonder if the name "Jock" is a reference to Graeme Green's book 'The Little Train.' The Flying Scotsman appears in that book under that name.

12 hours ago, JinglingGeordie said:

But these locos have nice happy smiling faces...  Perhaps there's a market for "Jellies," the manic depressive tank engine.

I looked up Graham Greene the writer and the only person I could find active at the time was a serious author and a lifelong depressive. No mention of the children’s books. 

27 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

I looked up Graham Greene the writer and the only person I could find active at the time was a serious author and a lifelong depressive. No mention of the children’s books. 

Same, he's the guy who wrote Brighton Rock.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
Curse you Google, confusing the author for the actor.
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Same, he's the guy who wrote Dances with Wolves.

Wikipedia needs updating as no mention of childrens’ books. 

Then again no mention of their model railway accessories range in the J&L Randall Aka Merit Hobbies either! 

Edited by ianmacc
Typi
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

We by pay 300 for the Hornby original when for 45 you can have a tenner triang hymek with a three pounds face?

DA6EF4E8-D5F4-4F31-9742-75EB624A2178.jpeg

Clearly someone trying to get it mistaken for the actual, rather rare Hornby Thomas & Friends Bear. The number and the quality of the paint on the face are the giveaway.
image.png.bafe775922e6ba6c36f7f8d0cebdd01e.png

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

59 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Clearly someone trying to get it mistaken for the actual, rather rare Hornby Thomas & Friends Bear. The number and the quality of the paint on the face are the giveaway.
image.png.bafe775922e6ba6c36f7f8d0cebdd01e.png

Yes indeed there are two bears on there at 299 and 355 at the moment.

In all seriousness though when my little one gets a little older I can see me buying the various models that the characters are based upon and some plastic faces!

2 hours ago, ianmacc said:

In all seriousness though when my little one gets a little older I can see me buying the various models that the characters are based upon and some plastic faces!

Sensible idea, that. Then you can make sure they're faithful to the characters as they are in the original books. :P

Not eBay but I thought this whimsy fits in well here. I was sifting through my scrap box for inspiration (recommended pastime) and literally within 5 minutes of lightbulb moment to assembly with UHU we have the lion transporter wagon! Triang Hornby cattle wagon underframe, American HO timber bed and Lesney lion cage! 

The out of gauge flat bed is to stop people getting too close....

D5C92259-16AC-423C-94C3-C9075938EB01.jpeg

AF75AC0B-C146-4E2D-9E2D-95FB9F534823.jpeg

Edited by ianmacc
Type
  • Like 5

• 3 months later...