Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

On 13/12/2020 at 15:20, ianmacc said:

Not eBay but I thought this whimsy fits in well here. I was sifting through my scrap box for inspiration (recommended pastime) and literally within 5 minutes of lightbulb moment to assembly with UHU we have the lion transporter wagon! Triang Hornby cattle wagon underframe, American HO timber bed and Lesney lion cage! 

The out of gauge flat bed is to stop people getting too close....

D5C92259-16AC-423C-94C3-C9075938EB01.jpeg

AF75AC0B-C146-4E2D-9E2D-95FB9F534823.jpeg

I'd put some straps over that cage for the sake of safety.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Johnson044 said:

Morning folks- the scale's a bit big but how about this beastie?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-1-4-gauge-live-steam-locomotive-chassis/114736999855

If it's a kitbash or scratchbuild you found out in the wild, so to speak, any scale that isn't a full scale locomotive is welcome. 

Don't see many 2-2-2s in any scale. Interesting find, Johnson. 

image.png.da6326aeb17d3415eafca43ebcdd2fb4.png

Also found this beautiful row of Yorkshire style buildings on eBay. Link in the picture as always if anyone wants it.

image.png.f493af9ef9946287d98f15226803fc3c.png

Also this beautiful diorama for any of our Midland modellers.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Johnson044 said:

Morning folks- the scale's a bit big but how about this beastie?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-1-4-gauge-live-steam-locomotive-chassis/114736999855

That is, in it's own standalone right, a thing of beauty and wonder that I would take immense pleasure in owning even if I never did anything but polish it!

10 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

image.png.da6326aeb17d3415eafca43ebcdd2fb4.png

Also found this beautiful row of Yorkshire style buildings on eBay. Link in the picture as always if anyone wants it.

Might put a bid in for this; they are acceptable as South Wales Valleys buildings, built in much the same general late Victorian style from the same Pennant Sandstone.  Bit of hacking about to fit the space, but they could easily form the main square of Cwmdimbath village.  I can see a possible pub, post office, and general store in there, one of the shop fronts could be a chippy and another could be an 'Idwal Bracchi', or Italian cafe, a very common feature of Valleys towns and villages.  In one way it's a shame to hack about a model of a real place, and some of the shop fronts look a bit modern or upmarket for the Valleys in the 50s, but they'd have a new home where they'd be loved and respected.  The 3 storey buildings chime well with the restricted space of my very narrow and steep sided valley.

Eyes on for this one!

Edited by The Johnster

17 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

but they'd have a new home where they'd be loved and respected.

Ultimately all any second-hand scratchbuild can hope for really. Glad I found something of use to you :)

In fact I'd be half tempted to go for them myself if it wasn't for the fact they don't fit whatsoever with the East Anglian setting of my layout.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

15 hours ago, The Johnster said:

That is, in it's own standalone right, a thing of beauty and wonder that I would take immense pleasure in owning even if I never did anything but polish it!

Might put a bid in for this; they are acceptable as South Wales Valleys buildings, built in much the same general late Victorian style from the same Pennant Sandstone.  Bit of hacking about to fit the space, but they could easily form the main square of Cwmdimbath village.  I can see a possible pub, post office, and general store in there, one of the shop fronts could be a chippy and another could be an 'Idwal Bracchi', or Italian cafe, a very common feature of Valleys towns and villages.  In one way it's a shame to hack about a model of a real place, and some of the shop fronts look a bit modern or upmarket for the Valleys in the 50s, but they'd have a new home where they'd be loved and respected.  The 3 storey buildings chime well with the restricted space of my very narrow and steep sided valley.

Eyes on for this one!

Good luck, but perhaps you should not advertise your intent in case others think the same! 

• 4 weeks later...

image.png.c3af87c1338c0457a35c392102980949.png

We start today's instalment with this lovely Nellie bash. Click the image for the link as always.

image.png.aee49d2221204bd3b3e80e2192b5d442.png

And from the same seller, this lovely industrial 0-6-0ST. I get a very Hudswell Clarke vibe from this little loco.

image.png.6387c67faa28f92f0f2333b1b5d800bb.png

And a scratchbuilt SDJR coach too. Lovely.

Best part about this particular look as well? I've seen very few terrible low-effort Thomas and Friends customs for once, so we get a reprieve this time around.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

image.png.aee49d2221204bd3b3e80e2192b5d442.png

And from the same seller, this lovely industrial 0-6-0ST. I get a very Hudswell Clarke vibe from this little loco.

That looks like a Mainline J72 cab/running plate/chassis with a Hornby Caledonian Pug saddle tank & smokebox.  A good idea and well executed.

Edited by Moxy
spelling
  • Agree 2

56 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Yes, a lovely looking neverwazza/couldabeen, very nicely weathered.  Vac bags and the long wheelbase make it an unlikely industrial, though. 

True, but I maintain it does still looks very Hudswell Clarke.

5 hours ago, Moxy said:

That looks like a Mainline J72 cab/running plate/chassis with a Hornby Caledonian Pug saddle tank & smokebox.  A good idea and well executed.

I thought that as well. A kitbasher after my own heart!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There is, as you say, a distinct Hudswell Clarke feel to it, and the overall proportions have something of the L & Y about them.  It is entirely believable and many people would I am sure accept it without question in LMS or BR livery with number in the 19xxx/59xxx region.  A masterful bit of bashing. 

• 1 month later...

image.png.35de3f8bc9f74a10a5c4f9e91e40710c.png

It's another low-effort Thomas bash, so you know that means I'm torturing myself again...

image.png.21a1b791dec4d32374a2196ad8e3de2e.png

Let's move onto something more positive. Like this three-rail Turbomotive. Links in pictures as usual, bar the Thomasbash as who the hell would want that?
image.png.fcda852091add41976a62f99bfcc6e75.png
Or this... two-rail Turbomotive.

image.png.7d753962906e405709a477996de3587f.png

Or this actually really interesting looking wooden engine shed. Looks like something you'd see on a logging line in the US.

• Like 5

On 20/05/2021 at 20:57, RedGemAlchemist said:

image.png.35de3f8bc9f74a10a5c4f9e91e40710c.png

It's another low-effort Thomas bash, so you know that means I'm torturing myself again...

image.png.21a1b791dec4d32374a2196ad8e3de2e.png

Let's move onto something more positive. Like this three-rail Turbomotive. Links in pictures as usual, bar the Thomasbash as who the hell would want that?
image.png.fcda852091add41976a62f99bfcc6e75.png
Or this... two-rail Turbomotive.

image.png.7d753962906e405709a477996de3587f.png

Or this actually really interesting looking wooden engine shed. Looks like something you'd see on a logging line in the US.

I think that last item is a snow shed, it would be pretty leaky and draughty as an engine shed

• RMweb Gold
On 22/05/2021 at 09:51, ianmacc said:

This is nice. Not sure how to link so you’ll need to search but it’s a charming and robust looking item.

465CDA41-EA0A-44E5-A418-96BAFDFC1445.png

Triang saddle tank body with separate tank side handrails on a HD R1 chassis, nice idea!  The box is a bit of a mystery, presumably a repro HD style box showing the loco sitting on 3-rail HD track, but the mech appears to be a 2-rail one.  I’m liking the brass works,  number and name plates, and the very neatly applied livery.  The original turned brass sasfety valves have been trplaced as well

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Hi. Missed the reference. What’s the significance of it?

Its just been on sale for about 6 or 7 years now on ebay. I don't think anyone is actually going to buy it. 

I almost feel sorry for the little tank engine 

Edited by Paleopotato09
Spelling

1 minute ago, Paleopotato09 said:

Its just been on sale for about 6 or 7 years now on ebay. I don't think anyone is actually going yo buy it. 

Seriously? That’s a long time. Without the link I can’t tell but I’m guessing it’s solely the price as it’s not the most horrific thing I’ve ever seen on there!

5 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Seriously? That’s a long time. Without the link I can’t tell but I’m guessing it’s solely the price as it’s not the most horrific thing I’ve ever seen on there!

It was £80 but I think its now been reduced to £60

Edited by Paleopotato09

On 30/06/2021 at 21:29, Paleopotato09 said:

Its just been on sale for about 6 or 7 years now on ebay. I don't think anyone is actually going to buy it. 

I see you found my eBay thread!
I do as well. As I think I mentioned on an earlier post on this thread I almost bought it myself for similar reasons.