Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

On 18/11/2019 at 17:16, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

If the Belpaire firebox had been left alone and the B12 cab grafted on, with some further 'Stratfordisation' it would be more convincing for a J17. Seen that done quite well in the long ago.

(For the truly adventurous; take the old Triang Hornby 'Jinty' chassis block, drill new axle holes just beyond the existing both ends, then combine with a heavily modified B12 body and the B12 tender, makes into the near 19' wheelbase sort of LNER round top reboilered J20. There was so little stuff available to work with that great crimes were inevitable...)

Responding to a post from two years ago...
Kind of funny looking back on this seeing as later on I did something similar to build a J17.

5 minutes ago, Annie said:

Very nice, - does the vendor name a prototype station that it's based on at all?

Not that I can see. However they do also have a matching signal box for sale.
image.png.77e42a3ddd20b8434960d7d14cce7709.png

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/07/2021 at 21:51, Annie said:

Very nice, - does the vendor name a prototype station that it's based on at all?

Something about that says "Isle of Man Railway" to me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 09/07/2021 at 17:44, Northmoor said:

Something about that says "Isle of Man Railway" to me.

Yeah, it does a bit.

Right, first post in a hot minute so let's go in hard. Links to their respective listings by clicking the pictures as always.
Edit: Just to make it clear, after being told off by the moderators, I need to reiterate that I am not the person selling any of these. I just find this stuff neat and am linking them in case anyone wants them.

image.png.eb321eff631048c0cd449365f7093163.png

First off is this collection of body shells. The focus here is on the second row from bottom, which contains what are clearly attempts at making an Edward and Henry. Their tenders are on the top shelf. 
image.png.d735ce3f0736e3361075d8035c76cd5a.png

Looking through the other photos, we can see that the face on the Edward bash is... an original Payne-style Hornby Thomas one. Huh. Wasn't expecting that. 

image.png.a33ce93840deeb89822ac43d71dae8ef.png

Second one is this over-track signal box for a four-track railway line. It's way too big (and a totally incorrect style) for my KLR layout, so maybe someone on here. It has lighting too!

image.png.fdc49ed2fba16144f117aed5b478113f.png

Found right after it on my eBay page was this lovely kitbash of a pre-war factory building. Looks a bit like the older part of the packing plant where my older brother used to work.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Links to their respective listings by clicking the pictures as always.

Using the site to promote your eBay sales isn't acceptable, especially if you're not a Good member.

• Informative/Useful 2

4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Using the site to promote your eBay sales isn't acceptable, especially if you're not a Good member.

Ooh, sorry. They aren't my listings or my sales. I'm making no money. This is just a thread for cool kitbashed or scratch stuff myself or others find on eBay as the title is intended to suggest; the links are to their respective eBay pages in case anyone is interested in buying anything featured on this thread. I probably should've been more specific.

17 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Yeah, it does a bit.

Right, first post in a hot minute so let's go in hard. Links to their respective listings by clicking the pictures as always.
Edit: Just to make it clear, after being told off by the moderators, I need to reiterate that I am not the person selling any of these. I just find this stuff neat and am linking them in case anyone wants them.

image.png.eb321eff631048c0cd449365f7093163.png

First off is this collection of body shells. The focus here is on the second row from bottom, which contains what are clearly attempts at making an Edward and Henry. Their tenders are on the top shelf. 
image.png.d735ce3f0736e3361075d8035c76cd5a.png

Looking through the other photos, we can see that the face on the Edward bash is... an original Payne-style Hornby Thomas one. Huh. Wasn't expecting that. 

image.png.a33ce93840deeb89822ac43d71dae8ef.png

Second one is this over-track signal box for a four-track railway line. It's way too big (and a totally incorrect style) for my KLR layout, so maybe someone on here. It has lighting too!

image.png.fdc49ed2fba16144f117aed5b478113f.png

Found right after it on my eBay page was this lovely kitbash of a pre-war factory building. Looks a bit like the older part of the packing plant where my older brother used to work.

Was not expecting a Payne face 

1 minute ago, Paleopotato09 said:

Was not expecting a Payne face 

As I said, I wasn't either; I saw the side-on photo and was expecting a crummy clay face, a glued-on face off a toy or an off-model face like the Patriot Henry from a while back in this thread. A Payne Thomas face is very unusual as they're not exactly common.

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Sorry, I thought they were your listings.

It's fine man. You're only human.

image.png.3923c7a16218563660852832704a2fa5.png

Onto part 2 and a wooden goods shed. Quite nicely made as well, whoever made this put a hell of a lot of work into it.

Then a shoutout to https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/e-bailey-0122?_trksid=p2047675.l2559, who is yet another maker of beautiful scenic elements.

image.png.831adcf9acd5f11c5e83c4ea435b02f1.png

Then... I spotted this, and I just want to ask a question about why people sell just the boxes of models. I've just never been able to see the point of it.

image.png.d3f557eda570076af16535ad0c32fde9.png

Then a... weathered ERTL Tiger Moth. Can someone please tell me if these are actually the correct scale? Because I genuinely don't know. Kind of reminds me of a conversation I had with @Paleopotato09 on Discord where we talked about converting ERTL toys to run on 009. 

image.png.b20c6229b6ab3640ddeeb407f63cf9bb.png

I've seen a lot of these faces, and on this brakevan... that face actually looks pretty good, not going to lie. Bit over-priced? Maybe. There's a few from the same seller to be honest, but I chose this photo as it looked the best. The others just look a bit goofy.

image.png.adbd5239e08c5d9efdcd43029033947a.pngimage.png.eb82e9b9f60a886da5a4cae7d218f6de.png

And it was inevitable to be honest for there to be a really low-effort Thomas cash grab on here at some point. Two Hornby starter tanks, one with a Duck face, the other with the Thomas face. Yawn. Moving on.

image.png.fcc1b2c38de1ed40b91c18183bed4abd.png

I was wrong. You CAN get more low effort. This is literally a Percy with what appears to be Duck's chimney. I... OK then.

image.png.02de4bd00802e1f0d5d8969e2bcbf264.png
And now four of the Famous Eight's faces on the Flying Scotsman - Thomas, Percy, Gordon and now Henry. Kind of ironic considering Tenders for Henry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

me of a conversation I had with @Paleopotato09

image.png.adbd5239e08c5d9efdcd43029033947a.pngimage.png.eb82e9b9f60a886da5a4cae7d218f6de.png

And it was inevitable to be honest for there to be a really low-effort Thomas cash grab on here at some point. Two Hornby starter tanks, one with a Duck face, the other with the Thomas face. Yawn. Moving on.

It's possible that these are the by-products of other projects. It's quite common to use the Dowlais loco's firebox door to convert a Hornby Thomas into an E2 model.

• RMweb Gold

Restorers of locos to sell on on the Bay form the basis of the demand for empty boxes, as they can get more for their restored locos if they can be provided 'in the original box', or at least an original box, with the correct identification of the model on the end flap.  I would never of course suggest that, in a wicked and cruel world where a sucker is born every minute, such boxes might enable unscupulous dealers to acquire locos for next to nothing from house clearances, tidy them up a bit, and put them in the correct box to claim that they are 'new in box' or 'with original packaging' in order to persuade punters less cynical than me to part with their beer vouchers.  Never.  Of course.  So I won't.  So there.  Glad I didn't.

Caveat Emptor...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

58 minutes ago, Johnson044 said:

This rather unusual beast has appeared on Ebay. A bit of Tri-ang Princess about the cylinders I think. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224585663473?hash=item344a5943f1:g:gzgAAOSwGtlhJmbG 

Rather fun!

image.png.749a4925ea0c98e67f342f1f4228f185.png

For posterity:

It is an unusual, and rather oddly proportioned, beast, indeed. Good find Johnson. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

image.png.749a4925ea0c98e67f342f1f4228f185.png

For posterity:

It is an unusual, and rather oddly proportioned, beast, indeed. Good find Johnson. 

It's an 0 gauge Lima 4F extended into an unrebuilt Patriot! I like it!! Clever!   :locomotive: