Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the best thread to post this on but as this involves things found on Ebay and very objects that have been instilled with someone's personal thoughts and desires I think they will probably fit in quite well.

I hope you find them as interesting as I do. 

I've had these two locos for a while now (as you can see from the rather shameful dust accumulation - cotton buds & distilled water time I think!). Both came from Barrow-in-Furness but the separate vendors had no background or provenance. 

Firstly, here's a scratch built, mainly brass ext LBSCR I1X (I think!). In 0 gauge, clockwork, coarse scale. A bit short in the bunker dept but otherwise not a bad model at all and there are so many lovely touches. I love the little flap to conceal the key hole, the minimal control rods and the very fine bars over the rear spectacle lenses (glazed). I think the mechanism is an early Hornby Nr 2, with some good cast iron wheels. A slot for a rear coupling but no sign that one has ever been fitted. The motor runs very smoothly and powerfully in both directions. The name must tell a story...

Following a very gentle oil round I'm just keeping her exactly as she is. 

IMG_20211204_131916_186_hdr.jpg

IMG_20211204_132016_709_hdr.jpg

IMG_20211204_132036_130_hdr.jpg

IMG_20211204_132004_048_hdr.jpg

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 4

The second is one of my greatest treasures. I dismissed it at first as from the auction photos I got the impression that it was recent- the sort of thing that is becoming quite common now - you sometimes see modern, large, crude Flying Scotsmen and Citroen 2CV's made out of tinplate from time to time in charity shops. Actually some of the cars aren't bad but I digress...

The more I looked though I felt that this was something far more interested and at £35 something of a bargain. 32mm gauge but roughly to about Gauge 1 in scale and made mostly of wood, including some pieces of cigar box. Seems to be fixed together with fish glue. The iron wheels with their simple round openings are to quite a fine profile and the steel coupling rods have been well shaped. I've never had the paint analysed but an expert has looked at it and agrees that the degradation of the surface can only come from great age and can't be faked up. Various bits were detached including the front buffer beam, which I re-attached with the bare minimum of Araldite. Other than that I've left her exactly as bought. I'm ashamed to say that I lost the original paper pressure gauge face when I took the loco to show a friend, so I made a simple replacement and stuck it on with a tiny bit of pva, so hopefully it will peel off if by some miracle the original turns up in the hoover bag or somewhere.

The real thing was built by W Fairbairn in 1858 and seems to have lasted up until about the turn of the century. Cant help but speculate that just maybe the builder of the model knew the real thing and just, just maybe the paint is the genuine Furness stuff?

It would be nice! But I don't think I'll ever know.

IMG_20211204_132925_697_hdr.jpg

IMG_20211204_132959_754_hdr.jpg

IMG_20211205_090937_008_hdr.jpg

IMG_20211205_091211_531_hdr.jpg

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 3

Both of those are gorgeous, Johnson! Very nice. 

And to be fair, this thread was never intended purely for eBay, but any unusual scratchbuild or kitbash creations found via the internet or "in the wild" out there, though the latter is harder these days considering The Big Coof. Be they for sale or just stuff you found, all are welcome here so long as you're not just posting random content from your workbench. Since you found those two on eBay and they are genuinely really interesting things not of your own creation and that haven't been broadcast all over the shop, it's fine.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks RedGem- it's so easy to offend these days.  

What I like about this thread is that it explores what is often a very unusual side to the hobby, the wild ideas people have had, the inventiveness and (it's so easy to use cliches) the "thinking outside the box" - there- I've used one. Each and every one of the models on this thread is not just an example of someone's creativity - which is, after all, what RMWeb is all about - but is also a chance to own a model that someone's put a bit of their heart and soul into. A piece of art. Something someone's thought long and hard about - at night, on the bus, walking the dog - where and whenever- that person has contemplated at length how to recreate a detail or shape from whatever materials they've got or can imagine. I've really enjoyed this thread - keep up the good work!

• Like 1

On 06/12/2021 at 08:43, Johnson044 said:

What I like about this thread is that it explores what is often a very unusual side to the hobby, the wild ideas people have had, the inventiveness and (it's so easy to use cliches) the "thinking outside the box" - there- I've used one. Each and every one of the models on this thread is not just an example of someone's creativity - which is, after all, what RMWeb is all about - but is also a chance to own a model that someone's put a bit of their heart and soul into. A piece of art. Something someone's thought long and hard about - at night, on the bus, walking the dog - where and whenever- that person has contemplated at length how to recreate a detail or shape from whatever materials they've got or can imagine. I've really enjoyed this thread - keep up the good work!

Thanks. After all, celebrating that sort of thing is what this thread is all about! That and laughing at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1

Found this Rowland Emett loco "Hector" and train at the boot-sale this morning. Badly damaged but 95% there. Hornby pug chassis (works!) and resin construction. £5 the lot!20211212_100408.jpg.6600d46a072424872ae98ec41fc3cd91.jpg

20211212_100441.jpg

Edited by 33C
added detail
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 5

• 4 weeks later...

Finished them today in what, i hope, is the livery of the "Far Twittering & Oyster Creek Railway", and now running as the last train to "Smugglers Reach".......

20220109_133935.jpg

20220109_134354.jpg

20220109_134126.jpg

20220109_134406.jpg

20220109_134035.jpg

Edited by 33C
added photo.
  • Like 7

34 minutes ago, 33C said:

Finished them today in what, i hope, is the livery of the "Far Twittering & Oyster Creek Railway", and now running as the last train to "Smugglers Reach".......:locomotive:

20220109_133935.jpg

20220109_134354.jpg

20220109_134126.jpg

20220109_134406.jpg

That is awesome! Is that a stone Nessie in the foreground of one of the pics? Like to see it.

Also it looks like you moved a stone to get a better shot as there’s a neat stone shaped fresh recess in the same picture lol 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, HonestTom said:

It has the look of something that might have seen service on the Eastern Region to me, perhaps on the Woodhead route or on the lines out of Liverpool Street.

Yes or possibly a Class 505. One of those quirky DC multiple units of pre modernisation origin. 

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...

This little beastie followed me home from Alexandra Palace a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't resist it. Everything lines up with a Hornby Nr 2 mechanism and I did wonder about finishing it off but I think I'll leave it exactly as it is.

IMG_20220328_143703_732.jpg

IMG_20220328_143721_610.jpg

IMG_20220328_143751_464.jpg

• Like 8

I've also been given this little gem by the original builder, who made it in about 1971. It's cardboard, about 8mm to 1' scale and so badly damaged that it's almost at the point of no return. As it is so far gone I'm going to try to  carefully repair and motorise this one and I'll probably put the project in the 7mm or industrial pages.

IMG_20220327_114242_602.jpg

IMG_20220327_114251_424.jpg

IMG_20220327_114256_662.jpg

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

5 hours ago, Johnson044 said:

This little beastie followed me home from Alexandra Palace a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't resist it. Everything lines up with a Hornby Nr 2 mechanism and I did wonder about finishing it off but I think I'll leave it exactly as it is.

I love the authentic rust! You couldn’t replicate that and I agree to retain it! 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

I love the authentic rust! You couldn’t replicate that and I agree to retain it! 

All its history is in the top half mil of the surface - the sort of thing that can only be created over time- It's a work of art exactly as it is!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 07/04/2022 at 09:30, Johnson044 said:

See, part of me would want to restore it and bring it "back to life" as it were but at the same time I can see why you'd want to leave it as-is.