Tolworth Showtrain 2019

jonathan452

Its probably worth noting a couple of things

1) if you usually come off the A3 at the Hook (Ace of Spades) roundabout, and then turn down Tolworth road - you can't - its closed - please continue to Thornhill Road to rejoin Red Lion Road further up.

image.png.1c39041de19242bb6c0f0b94d99f6b30.png

2) some of the plans in the guide may be wrong - TRC have broken the trolly/jack thing they use to put their temporary grandstands away, so they have had to be left in the hall, with a consequential shuffle around required to make it all fit.

3) I'm afraid the catering on site is still pretty inadequate - there is a cafe around the corner in the parade of shops facing the A3 that has been recommended by RMwebber's in the past. I think basic Tea and Coffee is available, but I'm not sure how much more...

We hope these problems (not of our making) don't spoil your visit.

Jon

This might also help

Shared route
From KT6 7LQ to Chessington North Railway Station via Moor Ln.

23 min (1.1 mi)
Avoiding ferries

1. Walk south-west on Fullers Way N towards Ronelean Rd
2. Turn right at Hook Rise N
3. Turn left towards Fullers Way S
4. Turn left towards Fullers Way S
5. Turn right onto Fullers Way S
6. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Hunters Rd
7. Exit the roundabout onto Hunters Rd
8. Turn right onto Gosbury Hill
9. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Moor Ln
10. Exit the roundabout onto Moor Ln
11. Turn right onto Sopwith Ave
12. Arrive at location: Chessington North Railway Station
To see this route visit https://maps.app.goo.gl/a654QB4A3stFhDf39

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

We have had a somewhat 'trying' time today, made up for by a lot of happy visitors who have told us how much they enjoyed the show.

However we would like to apologise for a few problems beyond our control.

• If you were waiting for the first bus from Surbiton, I understand it drew up into the station forecourt then set off for Tolworth empty, whilst its passengers (correctly) waited at stop NN - SORRY!  it appears the bus company sub-contracted to another firm who didn't have the local knowledge.
  • If you were waiting for the first bus back to the station after the drivers lunch break, and waited 35 minutes for it - we have not yet heard why it was late, but again SORRY for the inconvenience.
  • And TRC let us down again, the limited cafe option we were promised didn't turn up - the team responsible for the hall booking didn't tell the team who look after the cafe area Showtrain was happening and therefore they booked in children's birthday parties and soft play for both today and tomorrow.

There is a little silver lining, the owner of the Ace of Spades Cafe round the corner on Hook Rise was delighted with the boom in trade from our hungry visitors, and popped round after he closed up, to ask if we were open on Sunday? - Yes we replied - he doesn't usually open on Sunday, but could if he thought there would be customers? - YES we said, you open, and we will send everyone round the corner to you. So there is a local Cafe option about 1 minutes walk around the corner, that should be open 9.30-3pm for food, Tea and Coffee etc - its not as convenient as on site catering, but the quality will be much better.

As I have said, much of these difficulties are outside our control, and regretably seems to be consistent with the way TRC seem to deal with all their customers (including the girls Basketball team who weren't told their Friday evening session was cancelled for our set up). Alas suitable affordable venues in the area are few and far between, and despite its rather too numerous faults, TRC is  the best available to us. 

We hope we have made up for these wrinkles by putting on a good show, with a wide range of visiting layouts.

Jonathan

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

I went to the Ace of Spades cafe this morning before visiting the show and can recommend it. Very friendly and an excellent breakfast only a 2 minute walk away....

the show wasn't bad either!  :yes:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Speaking as someone who works as car parking marshal at a pretty sizeable exhibition (the Erith MRS January Show), I know how you feel Jonathan.

I had breakfast in the Ace of Spades Café and I can recommend it. There are alternatives in Surbiton (such as the local Wetherspoons, The Coronation Hall) should you be coming from there.

I got the TfL No. 71 bus service from Surbiton station (NK Stop) to the stop nearest the venue, called Southborough High School, then walked from there. Bear in mind you are walking right next to the A3 and it is not pleasant if it is raining.

The show once again had many high quality layouts (Sidmouth, Rolvenden, St. Ruth, Ferrocarril San Maria Gandia, Lee-on-the-Solent, Scratchy Bottom Halt and Tansey Bank were my personal highlights) and consequently difficult to pick a winner for Best in Show.

Many thanks to the Hampton Court MRS for organising another great show.

Next year's show is on the 14th & 15th November 2020.

DSC03250.JPG

• Like 4

Thank you to all that exhibited and visited Tolworth Showtrain, we seemed to have put on a pretty good show from the feedback we received. 

Just a note for next year - the Sunday is MUCH quieter than Saturday, and it's easier to park.

If you lost a set of keys today, they are wil the reception desk at TRC, if you can describe them, TRC will help you become re-united.

Jon

I went today too. The layouts were outstanding, really very good indeed; trade was moderately good, the venue pretty indifferent. This could, I think, be said of every other time I've visited the show.

I had intended to go by rail but circumstances sort of prevented that so I went by car. I got the last possible parking spot at around 13.00 and thought I was fortunate.

I know the club say that there's no alternative but the Epsom & Ewell club put on an equally good show nearby in a better venue, perhaps it's time to move on?

Notwithstanding my reservations, a very good show, well done to all.

Cheers

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Tolworth is already a bit of a distance from Hampton Court, the stated location of the organising club. Ewell Tech, as it was called when several skoolmates went there after we left skool - after A-levels - in the mid-sixties, is rather further away. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Tolworth is already a bit of a distance from Hampton Court, the stated location of the organising club. Ewell Tech, as it was called when several skoolmates went there after we left skool - after A-levels - in the mid-sixties, is rather further away. 

And I don't suppose the Epsom and Ewell club want us treading on their toes. HCMRS know how much Sandown Park costs, because we were involved Elmbridge Model Club's show their until they sold out to ?Emap? because the financial risk to a small club was so big, and we looked at Walton Leisure Centre before settling on Tolworth, and that had a number of disadvantages (not least the distance from a railway station) as the Twickenham club discovered when they tried to use it for a show (that was not repeated).

We continue to look out for alternatives, but moving venues is quite a big financial risk, TRC is at least the devil we know, and we use TRC for our weekly club meetings. Our long standing Exhibition Manager has also indicated he would really like to hand over the reigns to someone else, but we have no obvious candidate, but without the income from Showtrain, our financial reserves would be eroded quite quickly.

Its not easy being a club or organising an exhibition in South West London, which is why we are grateful for the support of visitors and exhibitors.

Jon

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Nice show - popped over yesterday afternoon. Can’t believe I have been living in Putney for 6 years and wasn’t aware of it until Andy (St Ruth) tipped me off :O

Good balance of quality layouts and traders and ended up buying some further storage boxes.

Definitely a date for the calendar for future years :good:

Here’s a few iPhone pics from me...

20344874-9319-4F34-BD38-0222A9BCE9C5.jpeg.1ef678a8c9464def5185b39dca624958.jpeg

E1A1A903-A741-4CF4-B690-6364D20CDFBF.jpeg.77e475e86e2f19f5ed05c838b6f9b28e.jpeg

59800C81-746E-46F6-ACC8-EF28F771EB83.jpeg.3a27afbb43fa592a19874cea88075803.jpeg

ABDF696D-B58C-4599-B980-C73258CC5089.jpeg.7c77039abbabe4cc81a69b8529b78dbf.jpeg

FBE92054-C00F-4F20-BF7B-BC32532DEE54.jpeg.913f605f84631e266b5e921d076d6ac4.jpeg

00757633-7FC0-47FE-A033-38B28EF19B3C.jpeg.f5e64dcf3d661f7cf508ab5cf421709a.jpeg

1702EDD9-116A-484F-9DE5-9049B4B8FAF2.jpeg.7dcaec4b2f8572e5a731eb21b5c75e91.jpeg

389B4C36-CCD0-4175-AD43-305F0843D4E5.jpeg.a68aa1dd20dd1805b665995a5c2c54ac.jpeg

ED63527B-269C-4E63-B1FC-A973DB0DCD0D.jpeg.a67d31670fe1e79aee23e821bf376217.jpeg

30AD3B46-53D2-4D61-B49D-3066BB3213C5.jpeg.ed8b8dbe8723c3a4484f3761766bfd32.jpeg