Australian Steam Video

woodenhead

• 2 weeks later...

If you look carefully you'll see the puffs of the exhaust beats are exactly in time with the rotations of the wheels and also the whistles and leaking piston packing  are exactly true too which makes me think that the sound is synchronised and was recorded at the time. Cameras in those days didn't have sound and bulky separate sound recording equipment powered by heavy lead acid batteries had to be lugged around. It's that attention to detail to get it all right that makes this footage so special. Note in the first clip that when 3824 goes by and whistles again like in real life the whistle note is lower and that's what makes me think the sound was recorded at the same time that the locos and their trains were filmed. Modern archive usually has dubbed in sound so locos blow their whistle but no steam comes out of the whistle and the exhaust beats are often out of sync with the rotations of the driving wheels. Here they're not.

It should be noted however that the NSW 60 class Garratt's differ from Garratts in South Africa. The South African Garratt's like those on the Welsh Highland have a water tank, boiler and cab and then a coal bunker. Whereas the 60 class have a water tank, boiler and cab and a coal bunker with another water tank underneath it like traditional tender. This is why you don't see a bogie water tank behind any 60 class in archive footage. 6029 that's been returned to operational status does have a bogie water tanker when she runs tours simply because all the water columns have now gone.

Edited by faulcon1
  • Agree 1

• 8 months later...

I've uploaded a video that isn't mine to my YouTube channel. This video of steam in the 1960's on the NSWGR was only released on VHS tape and it never made it to the DVD era. I've searched high and low to try and find out what happened to the bloke who recorded all the footage. I bought the video originally from the ARHS bookshop in Sydney but I phoned them they didn't know what I was talking about. I've made inquiries on the RailPage site but all to no avail. Naturally if someone comes out of the woodwork and asks me to remove the video I will of course comply.

But in the mean time here it is. The video was originally in SD but is now in widescreen. I had to upload it in four separate parts and I then downloaded it to my iMac and put the four parts through iMovie and then uploaded it as one. The footage seems to have been filmed in 1965-66 in a wide variety of locations.

The film starts on Central West: Tumulla Bank, then Lithgow, Richmond locals in the Sydney area, Old Enfield loco depot, Northern line: Gosford and Broadmedow, Murrurundi Bank, Murrurundi loco depot, South Coast: cabride on 3313 on the Illawarra Line and line side views of 3232 on the same train, Southern Line: Moss Vale Squirt, Moss Vale, Picton,  Maldon, Spaniards Hill Bank, Campbelltown, 3265 Narrandera to Leeton line, Harden Loco depot, 3267 near Galong, Cootamundra with coal grab 1062, Cowra Line: 5595 Wattamondara, Noonbinna, Far West: Nyngan 3050 on a train to Brewarrina, 3289 on the Cobar branch, 3313 Nyngan to Dubbo, 3290 Bourke, Byrock, Coolabah, 3004 Dubbo, 3648 Dubbo, 3268 Coonamble Branch, 6028 Wellington. Mudgee area: 3011 Craboon, 3387, Munna, 5369 Mudgee Loco Depot, 3294 shunting Mudgee, 5167 Redbank Creek, 3227 heading for Binnaway, 3224 heading for Mudgee, 3306 on a long trestle. Enjoy.  

Edited by faulcon1