Modern SBB 'wayside halt' and future Swiss layout.

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking for a modern 'bus shelter' type small building that would be suitable for a suburban station/halt. Something modern looking maybe in 'stainless and glass' would fit the bill. I can't find anything in the Faller range .

Any suggestions please.  It's a long time since I've done any Swiss modelling, I'm planning something from the 70s era using one of these as the passenger stock. At such a suburban station would the platform height be of the low variety back then?

Thanks.

1125977437_Piko96832.jpg.f988ef2d40996502a3ce444ca10b3182.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

If you’re not absolutely set on the idea of a plain modern shelter, I think the typical SBB wayside halt would be more likely to still have much older architecture, even now there are stations that have barely been modernised, although they are disappearing fast. Bossière in the vineyards near Lausanne is still like that as shown in this shot I found online. https://flic.kr/p/2gXBt8E Another typical feature would be an old station house closed up but kept in good condition. If I remember rightly, the one on the opposite platform at Bossière is cottage style, but in other areas it could easily be some other typical Swiss style. 

At Tenero, on the Locarno branch, there wasn’t even a platform until about 10 years ago, you just had to climb up into the train from the tarmac yard. I don’t have a photo of that and I can’t find one online from that era. If I remember rightly, the old station building had been converted into a cafe but there was some sort of cast iron awning on one end where you could shelter and use the ticket machine. This station has now been modernised out of all recognition, with modern platforms at FLIRT height and even an underpass. 

A more rustic example is Grubenwald on the Zweisimmen branch, although this is BLS rather than SBB. I took this shot in 2012 and it’s a single track halt with a wooden foot crossing in front of the shelter, with a gravel path leading away across the field (plus a zig zag path up the hill at the back). 
https://flic.kr/p/cKkzK3

Edited by Frutigen
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you very much for that extremely useful information. 

I've now revised my idea about 'modern stainless'! Your picture of Grubenwald will be the ideal basis for me to proceed with. I do like the dark weathered wood appearance.

Thanks again.

• RMweb Premium

You're welcome. I had a rummage round for any further reference shots but no joy. I thought I remembered the platform surface as cinder and it was barely above rail level. However, the current Google satellite view shows the surface as grass, though I don't know if that would be the case in the 70s. Anyway, I think you have licence to do whatever you like there. Happy modelling.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Very many thanks Peter. I'm now spoilt for choice!:D

What is the laser cut kit at the top and the one below the Bowil picture?

I've amended the thread title so that I can add details of the layout when I've decided exactly what I want of it!

The layout was inspired by me seeing one of these monsters on some sort of trip work like this when I visited Switzerland back in the 80s. This was from 2013.

More to follow when I decide what's what!

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know of a range of catenary wires other than the Sommerfeldt range at 0.5mm thick? I've tried to build finer stuff in the past but the connecting dropper wire to the contact wire never worked out!

• RMweb Premium

John, been researching this issue as well and not come up with anything less than 0.5mm (Sommerfeldt proffi and Veismann) in HO. 0.4 in N but the droppers and length are too small to be useful.

I was interested to see that the "proto87" use 0.025" dia Phosphor Bronze wire which equates (near enough) to 6.5mm.

That led me to look at the section of the prototype wire and it seems to be based on a 107mm cross section and is not a true circular cross section but shaped to be gripped by the droppers as per  -

803620879_overheadpowercablesection.jpg.0849b88b904acca49087c538f333570c.jpg

So - on that basis the visual diameter is 12.3mm which at 1/87 scale would be 0.14mm which is 35swg but not really practical for my purposes.

I am probably going to settle on the 0.5mm blackened to reduce the visual impact but will be keeping an eye on this post for anything else coming to light.

Sommerfeldt is definitely the more accurate Swiss type though Viessmann is easier to install.

I also prefer painting the wires dark grey or dark brown Matt. Wires as they come just look too glossy!

I always find I am nervous installing the Catenary but really pleased I did so.

Kind regards

Peter in Olten SBB Cafe

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1