Ash crane used by the GWR

Any advice or criticism would be good I no the chassis isn't exactly right but it's close I thought. If there's any markit for these he can print more than one if anyone is after a ash crane. 

Regards Neil 

• Informative/Useful 1

I will upload more pictures when I get them hopefully will have the first one printed in the next week. £50 each he wants for the body an jib etc. The chassis needs buying separately. I can supply all ready built an painted for a extra cost. 

Regards Neil 

I'm not sure if it is just an effect of the 3D rendering, but the last view, showing the end of the jib seems to suggest that the whole of the upper section has parallel sides, whereas on most cranes this would be tapered to reduce the weight of the end, whilst maintaining the required carrying capacity. There is a similar thread elsewhere 

which has some useful information although the link to the vintage carriage trust didn't work for me, and this one might be better http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/wsearch.asp although I can't guarantee it will work. Search for 4-steam crane.

Edited by Nick Holliday
Search criteria added

In my opinion the removal of the raised chevrons on the back would be an improvement, the foot of the jib needs to be correctly shaped and still no sign of the sheave block half way between the crane body and the mid section of the jib.

The circular thing sticking out of the front of the cab is the cover over the teeth and brake "drum" which were mounted on the end of the hoisting drum.  The brake "drum" is only about 6" wide and is almost the diameter of the gear bolted on the end of the hoisting drum.

The little round thing sticking out below the large cover is a counterbalance weight for the hoist drum brake. The hoist drum brake was operated by the drivers left foot.

I think one of these cranes is preserved in working order on the Severn Valley Railway.

Gordon A

• Informative/Useful 1

OK thanks Gordon A here's another print we did yesterday without the warning shevrons on the back. We have made changes to the cads today. We have made the body slightly wider an put the drum to the side of the jib plus added windows to the rights side. Will Add these asap

IMG-20191115-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20191115-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20191115-WA0013.jpg

IIUYC what you call the drum is the large gear on the end of the drum and the associated brake ring. You still need an actual drum attached to the large disc that lines up behind the disc.

If you would like I can take some pictures of our own 5 ton steam crane that has the same layout.

Gordon

Your last drawing looks better.

Having had my roast dinner I went down to the Avon Valley Railway to take the following pictures which are of two 5ton Smith Rodley cranes we have, currently laid up.

The first picture shows the large diameter cover, with the brake counter balance weight protruding below the cover. 

IMG_20191117_133903A.jpg.c46d8eef9f212733fc60f0f8cdb92ad9.jpg

The next picture shows the view looking from the other side.

IMG_20191117_134042A.jpg.9bdb5a29ed3e5b6a0c6c152bc7c8e5ce.jpg

You can see the large disc is in fact a large diameter gear wheel which is bolted to the hoist drum. The air horn is a modern addition.

The next picture is taken from the drivers position.

IMG_20191117_134300A.jpg.55ae8a48fa4554227c9e289f02eb7aff.jpg

Looking at the hoist drum assembly from right to left you have the brake drum, the final drive gear and the hoist drum, all securely bolted together as one assembly, The hoist brake drum is operated by the drivers left foot and can be locked off in the braked position. The counter balance weight protruding out below the cover is a counter balance for the hoist brake which holds the brake off. if the driver does not have his foot on the brake pedal.

The cross shaft nearest in the picture is connected to the two flywheels either side and the pistons. The hoist drum has a sliding gear which you can engage or disengage as require. Note no synchromesh!

The next picture is not the greatest, but shows our two 5 ton cranes.

P1070178A.JPG.eaba36630a5862e399f03000cc7a8f53.JPG

If you follow the derricking (Jib) ropes from the crane body to the end of the jib, you will find this about half way along.

P1070175A.JPG.3e8acbb1eb2c471c441cdf4eac43d8c5.JPG

I don't know what shape this widget is on your crane but the pictures you have posted show that you crane has one.

I hope these pictures are of some help.

Gordon A

I suggest that you also need to sort out the foot of the jib where it is pivoted from the main body.

Have a look at my first picture on the 17th November and then look at your first prototype picture posted on the 9th November.

If you could print the jib as a separate component with holes in the base of the jib and ears on the front of the body for the pins, then the model would be abled to be posed with either the jib up or down.

I was wrong about the Severn Valley having a similar crane. The crane they have is a 6 ton Smith Rodley built in 1948.  Picture in the top right hand corner of this ink:   http://www.geoffspages.co.uk/raildiary/western.htm

Gordon A

Edited by Gordon A
  • Informative/Useful 1

This is the 6 ton smiths an rodley crane I'm basic it on. I Believe that one picture above is a  Joseph Booth & Bros equivalent the gwr used. I don't think because of the size we can make it pivot unfortunately an being 3d printed it would make it very delicate. 

DSC_0632.JPG