Gaugemaster Series D Overvoltage

special_dx

Hello All

I have a Gaugemaster Series D square cases controller that I recently noticed is supplying way more than 12v under load, slightly different on each track, but the worst one is around 17v.

I want to send it off to Gaugemaster for repsit, but I'm concerned it will be a waste of time if they say it's normal. I note that a comparison test on YouTube between the new version and a Morley showed dead on 12v on the track terminals at full power from the Gaugemaster.

I will be using it for mostly Mashima motors, so I don't want to fry any given the availability situation. Perhaps there are kinder controllers out there especially for 10xx series motors.

Has anyone got any thoughts or similar experiences?

Thanks sharris

You've got me there, I simply connected a multimeter across the motor.

So it looks like track one is providing the correct voltage, but track two is under, it reads around 14v on the same multimeter?

It's a long time since I looked at anything like this, I should have realised.

Its not unusual to find the multi meter showing 21 volts across the outputs on a wide variety of allegedly 12 volt model railway power units.  The computer power units almost invariably show 12 volts plus or minus a few mili volts. I would be more concerned at the variation between the two sides.

Getting Gaugemaster to have a look inside might be a very good move if it has been kicking around a while.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, special_dx said:

Thanks sharris

You've got me there, I simply connected a multimeter across the motor.

So it looks like track one is providing the correct voltage, but track two is under, it reads around 14v on the same multimeter?

It's a long time since I looked at anything like this, I should have realised.

Is it testing 17 Volts on no load? What happens if you put a loco on the track and measure the voltage on the lowest control setting? That should be virtually zero and not enough to move the loco.

11 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Is it testing 17 Volts on no load? What happens if you put a loco on the track and measure the voltage on the lowest control setting? That should be virtually zero and not enough to move the loco.

All tests done with the same Mashima 1224 powered loco as a load on a rolling road.

6 hours ago, robert17649 said:

I got hold of an old Gaugemaster feedback controller ,which appeared to not feed back < contacted them and they fixed it, IMHO it does no harm to ask them, sometimes there is a fault which doesnt seem that significant but may be.

I've got a controller in with them at the moment, it's a model 10LGB that has a faulty direction switch and only gives full power. I'll see if they accept it for repair or return it as is before I send the model D.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, special_dx said:

I've got a controller in with them at the moment, it's a model 10LGB that has a faulty direction switch and only gives full power. I'll see if they accept it for repair or return it as is before I send the model D.

Sounds like a plan, since it does seem that your Series D is faulty.