Steel Lattice Footbridge

I'm considering building a steel lattice footbridge to run across from a raised road across seven tracks on my layout Eastwood Town. Something similar to this one at Welwyn Garden City.

1758716916_Screenshot2019-11-09at08_38_28.png.c97d0cae16b6b02e650612aea7e4274d.png

Does anyone make brass etches of steel lattice work in 4mm or are their any kits about that could be chopped about?

If not, I'm guessing I could solder something up in brass strip or weld Plastruct along the lines of the master, Ron Hegg....:good_mini:

As always, grateful for any suggestions/recommendations.

• RMweb Gold

Dan Pinnock (D&S) did a kit for the Welwyn North bridge (I had 2 for Sandy)  this is obviously out of production but I have some spare parts kicking about somewhere. It might be worth calling Dan to see if he has any parts left in his workshop.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for all your responses, but oh Michael, that's fabulous! 

I'm still a few months away from building in the scenery, but that is exactly the look I will go for. Let me do a bit more research and I'll get back to you, if I may.

59 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

We could do an etch for this one.

2118172686_Upperbyfootbridge1.JPG.11a0030cbf14d78ae7c6098b04c08fbe.JPG

1392776784_Upperbyfootbridgeonlayout.jpg.5bb027df08d72f7f23cb3fb1cc4d38c3.jpg

This is the footbridge at Upperby, slightly shortened to fit the layout but still quite long. I'm not sure what it would cost but we could produce it.

Mike would you be able to produce the bridge in 7mm scale about 100ft scale length and if so what would be the cost.

Regards mike 

• RMweb Premium

Too many questions here! The Upperby bridge required two .015" n/s sheets, 12" x 18" but they do also include an LMS 4000 gal tender. We can just run this etch again, two sheets would be about £120 in total, altering it would involve another film cost of about £76 + at least one sheet so probably slightly more. If we had a market for the tender etches the sums might change though.

100ft in 7mm is far too long for the etched sheets we use so would need considerable alteration + film costs as above, in this case I would use .022" n/s.

Below is a screenshot of the etch in question, the original cost was part of the one off job for the Carlisle layout and a couple of tenders were required as well.

1621279195_ScreenShot2019-11-09at15_56_28.png.dc2fa897c0c3c8e090d1cf51d4ed625c.png

One or two other bits went in as space fillers, some spare Kitson 0F crosshead etches to correct a fault in the production etch, Liverpool Overhead station nameboards and some extra tender brakes.

The attached pdf is my drawing for this bridge, in reality it was much longer, as seen at bottom, with an additional set of steps in the middle. Because our model of  Upperby is greatly compressed (unlike the rest of the layout which is to scale) the bridge had to be considerably shortened.

Upperby footbridge2 T15.PDF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to come late to this but have only just found the thread.

I was looking for a mesh to convert an old Hornby stone bridge and found in one of the "Pound shops" a plastic mesh sheet reputedly for cooking/draining chips on. It looks ideal for 4mm scale with the mesh being 3mm wide or in real money

9 inchs which seems about right for bridges etc.

The mesh is folded up and rivited at the corner to give it a slight "bowl" effect but when the rivits are cut out the mesh can be flattened out.

I'm not at home right now but if anyone wants I can take a photo later.

• Thanks 1

Likewise I've only just seen your request - many moons ago I did a freelance footbridge using scale link etched lattice sheets.

I think this is the same stuff so maybe another option to consider:

https://www.scalelinkfretcetera.co.uk/product/slf052/

I've measured the one I made and it would appear to be the 5mm square version that I've used (the second image appears distorted but this is due to the camera!)

Edited by SP Steve
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3