Replica Collett coaches

• RMweb Premium

I have had some of these coaches stashed away for sometime and decided I wanted to replace the plastic wheels with some metals one I had. I am not looking at this stage to replace the bogies.

I have discovered that some Bachman ones I have do not fit as the axles are a different length.

Please can anyone suggest a suitable replacements  (incl diameter size) as it looks like I will have to buy them by mail order.

Thanks 

R

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

It would be useful to know the axle length and diameter over tread of the Replica wheelsets.

It would... but unfortunately I do not have the original plastic wheels.

There are some wheels ( origin unknown)  in at the moment; the diameter to me now looks undersized.

The axle length is approx 26mm (axle ends quite blunt not a sharp  pinpoint) and tread to tread the diameter is approximately 14mm

if anyone can suggest an improved replacement without replacing the bogies

thanks 

R

Edited by rprodgers

14mm diameter is standard for OO coach wheels, scale for the nominal 3'6" diameter. Standard OO pinpoint axles are 26mm long over the pinpoints, so a regular wheelset from Markits, Gibson, Bachmann, Hornby should fit. I think you may have old 'Jackson' wheelsets, these had axles with more or less hemispherical ends, and were often slightly over 26mm long (imprecise dimensional control) which was a fault on the right side as they could then be turned down to pinpoints.

Alan Gibsons coach wheels have  26mm long axles, 4005 is a 14mm plain disc wheel although they do say

"The 26mm. long pin-point axle is now accepted as the standard for 4mm scale and has been adopted by the majority of British

RTR and kit manufacturers. The full range of wheels can, therefore, be used as direct replacements in rolling stock currently

produced by Hornby, Dapol, Replica and Bachmann. They can also be used in rolling stock formerly produced by Airfix and

Mainline" which implies any Hornby or Bachmann coach wheel should fit.  How long are the axles on the Bachmann wheels you have - are they the early type with a plastic centre to the axle and if so have the wheels simply pulled out of the plastic centre slightly.

• Agree 1

According to their website, their bogies take 26mm axles.

http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/spares-and-accessories/accessories

Bachmann wheelsets (at least the ones I have) are to NMRA RP25-110 spec. and have 25.4mm axles and 0.7mm flanges. I prefer Hornby, but they are now overpriced IMHO.

• RMweb Gold

I'd suggest trying Hornby 14mm coach wheels.  Should you wish to replace the bogies, I can recommend Stafford Road Works/Shapeways 3D printed Collett 9', as these include NEM dovetail coupling mounts, and run very well with Hornby wheels.  They are not cheap, but are IMHO worth it.  

Replacing plastic wheels with metal is definitely the way to go, and will transform the running of these old coaches, toolings acquired from Mainline by Dapol.  They are not bad models but by modern standards have a lot of moulded detail and the body sides are too thick with the windows too set back.  If your wheels are giving the impression of being under sized, you can check this by coupling the coaches to stock that is known to have the correct wheels and is riding at the right height and comparing the buffer heights.  I suspect your wheels are 12mm which are correct for B4 and B5 bogies and wagons; you need 14mm diameter.

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Replacing plastic wheels with metal is definitely the way to go, and will transform the running of these old coaches, toolings acquired from Mainline by Dapol.

The Collett coach toolings have never been owned by Dapol; they are, and have always, been owned by Kader and used in turn for Palitoy (Mainline), Replica and Bachmann Branchline. Dapol did buy the warehouse stock when General Mills closed Palitoy down so its possible they might have sold some although Ramsays British Model Trains Catalogue does not list any.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I'd suggest trying Hornby 14mm coach wheels.  Should you wish to replace the bogies, I can recommend Stafford Road Works/Shapeways 3D printed Collett 9', as these include NEM dovetail coupling mounts, and run very well with Hornby wheels.  They are not cheap, but are IMHO worth it.  

I've used the Stafford Road 3D printed American bogies for Lima Siphon.  As The Johnster says they're not cheap but they were oh so easy to use in that conversion.

No connection other than as a customer.

I don't know if it's any use, but somewhere on RMWeb (within the last week) there was another thread regarding changing wheelsets, and there was shown a double-end tool that was (IIRC) sprung loaded with a pin-point one end and a small diameter drill the other to open out the existing pinpoints in bogies - looked very useful and I should have taken better note as I have some stock that requires changing to metal wheels. You can't always buy direct replacements. Alternatively, what I have done, is to use a larger diameter drill to open out and insert a Peco brass cup that is adjusted and glued appropriately to take a pinpoint axle.

Cheers,

Philip

2 hours ago, Philou said:

I don't know if it's any use, but somewhere on RMWeb (within the last week) there was another thread regarding changing wheelsets, and there was shown a double-end tool that was (IIRC) sprung loaded with a pin-point one end and a small diameter drill the other to open out the existing pinpoints in bogies - looked very useful and I should have taken better note as I have some stock that requires changing to metal wheels. You can't always buy direct replacements. Alternatively, what I have done, is to use a larger diameter drill to open out and insert a Peco brass cup that is adjusted and glued appropriately to take a pinpoint axle.

Cheers,

Philip

A Truck Turner.

Or a pair of these. More readily available and are to UK standards rather than US.

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/bearing-reamers-set-of-two/

Jason

• Thanks 1

I’d be tempted to keep your bogies, and go for Hornby wheels. These can be bought from Peter’s Spares and others, and are finer than theBachmann sets. If the Hornby ones don’t fit, Alan Gibson ones do. Both options are cheaper than buying new bogies.

23 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

It would be useful to know the axle length and diameter over tread of the Replica wheelsets.

Found my old Mainline one. 25.67mm axle length and 13.8mm dia. wheel. It's hard work getting the wheels in and out though!

Edited by BernardTPM