Peco OO gauge turntable...Any special mod needed for DCC layout?

Jeepy

Hello! Only me!

I'm currently in the process of building the Peco OO well type turntable kit which will be mechanically operated as far as turning it is concerned but the layout is, or will be, DCC controlled...…….Before I finalise putting it together and installing it does anyone know if I need to wire it in any particular way for DCC track feed apart from the normal way (Feed and return to the tags underneath) to avoid any adverse effects like possible shorts when the deck is turned through 180 degrees or will it not matter please? 

I guess if it's not a problem I can just wire the tags underneath the deck to the bus lines as if they were normal dropper wires and also the roads leading to it and from it? Thanks for any wisdom you can impart to this DCC newbie! 

Best wishes,

Jim.

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, no mods at all. I've got one on my DCC layout too.

One thing to watch, the table has two "dead" positions, 180 degrees apart, where there is no power fed to the rails. This is when the two plungers on the deck are between the two semi-circular contacts on the well. You must make sure, you don't have an entry track near this position. Hope this helps.

- Richard.

• Informative/Useful 1

IIRC the tracks fed to one half of the turntable are wired the same as the feed tracks but all output tracks on the other side of the dead section have to have their polarity switched, so all tracks on the left half are wired for example black to track nearest and red to track farthest (other colours are available) and the tracks on the right hand side are wired red to nearest and black to farthest.

Hope you can understand what I wrote, it was much clearer in my head, the instructions should cover what's needed.

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks ever so much guys! As far as the dead sections are concerned I'll just make sure there's no rails where those positions are, I had a suspicion it would be OK but I'm reassured now, thank you! 

Best wishes, 

Jim. 

4 minutes ago, Paul80 said:

IIRC the tracks fed to one half of the turntable are wired the same as the feed tracks but all output tracks on the other side of the dead section have to have their polarity switched, so all tracks on the left half are wired for example black to track nearest and red to track farthest (other colours are available) and the tracks on the right hand side are wired red to nearest and black to farthest.

Hope you can understand what I wrote, it was much clearer in my head, the instructions should cover what's needed.

That's great thank you, I was mainly concerned with the effects of a 180 degree turn of the deck as the place this layout is based on the turntable didn't have any exit roads, it was purely for turning locomotives and didn't have a stabling area or shed but I must admit I keep getting tempted to put a couple of roads in!..... I'm resisting so far! Lol! I shall bear in mind what you've said for future reference :good:

Best wishes 

Jim 

4 hours ago, BR60103 said:

The worst thing that will happen (if you wire it right) will be a little blip in the sound machines as it goes over the dead spots.

Thank you, that makes sense..... I'm not planning on sound at the moment but you never know! Basically it'll be one entrance road, 180 degree turn of the loco and then leaving the turntable on the same road, I'm going to try and be faithful to the actual location as it was. 

I've just finished putting the well together and weathering it, also the bridge/deck, I've got some old Meccano bits and pieces and the turntable will be situated fairly near the baseboard edge so I'm going to try and 'knock up' some sort of manual mechanism to turn it.....I'm mixing old school with modern tech! Good fun! 

Best wishes, 

Jim. 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jeepy said:

Thank you, that makes sense..... I'm not planning on sound at the moment but you never know! Basically it'll be one entrance road, 180 degree turn of the loco and then leaving the turntable on the same road, I'm going to try and be faithful to the actual location as it was. 

I've just finished putting the well together and weathering it, also the bridge/deck, I've got some old Meccano bits and pieces and the turntable will be situated fairly near the baseboard edge so I'm going to try and 'knock up' some sort of manual mechanism to turn it.....I'm mixing old school with modern tech! Good fun! 

Best wishes, 

Jim. 

Did exactly using and old mecanno motor and stuck a loco decoder on the back of it so it now runs as loco 55. Used the "spare" lighting function for some yard lights.

• Like 1

Ooh, that's interesting, ta! I happen to have a biscuit tin full of old Meccano bits and I have the worm drive, shafts and cogs in there too, that's what i'm planning on using to make a crank handle for it......the shafts I have are a tiny bit oversize for the hole in the block under the deck so i'm going to have to bore it out a little, all good fun! 

Best wishes,

Jim.

The DCC aspect is the simplest bit! Ensuring that the well is a right cylinder is important. (I had to obtain a replacement segment from Peco because one in the pack was distorted.) Once all assembled I looked at how much the well base deflected with 500g+ locos turning on it, and how this affected track alignment. Long story short, I ended up building a subframe which supports the drive and bridge, fully independently of the well, which takes no significant load.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

The DCC aspect is the simplest bit! Ensuring that the well is a right cylinder is important. (I had to obtain a replacement segment from Peco because one in the pack was distorted.) Once all assembled I looked at how much the well base deflected with 500g+ locos turning on it, and how this affected track alignment. Long story short, I ended up building a subframe which supports the drive and bridge, fully independently of the well, which takes no significant load.

Ah! Definitely something to look into, thanks, 

Best wishes, 

Jim. 

• Like 1