Porthleven - Cornish Harbour & China Clay Circa 1990

Rhysb

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if there’s any home printer ink that is truly stable in a similar way to paint or tampo prints?

It’s a shame all the hard work has to be redone but the plastic version is looking great! :) 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

I wonder if there’s any home printer ink that is truly stable in a similar way to paint or tampo prints?

It’s a shame all the hard work has to be redone but the plastic version is looking great! :) 

Yes. I’ve never had much luck with printed items either. There’s a couple on my linhay - I have my fingers crossed!

Looking good though Rhys.

9 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Is it an InkJet -v- Colour Laser printer issue?

(Sorry if that's thread drift)

Hi,

I spray all home-printed card and paper with artist fixative which contains a u v blocker, ultraviolet light being the main cause of inks fading and changing hue.  I've had one card model sat in a south facing window for almost 18 months ( I really must move it!) and, touch wood, it's not faded.  On most model layouts that don't get much direct sunlight the fixative is a good investment.  It also has the advantage, if you get the correct one, of waterproofing the paper/card so you can repaint areas with acrylics or use a pva glue to attach additional details.

Roja

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

12 hours ago, 37Oban said:

Hi,

I spray all home-printed card and paper with artist fixative which contains a u v blocker, ultraviolet light being the main cause of inks fading and changing hue.  I've had one card model sat in a south facing window for almost 18 months ( I really must move it!) and, touch wood, it's not faded.  On most model layouts that don't get much direct sunlight the fixative is a good investment.  It also has the advantage, if you get the correct one, of waterproofing the paper/card so you can repaint areas with acrylics or use a pva glue to attach additional details.

Roja

This was going to be my suggestion as well. I know that the chaps at Pendon have a very similar process for their hand painted card models and that's held up for donkeys now.

• Like 1

On 17/06/2020 at 12:50, Stoker said:

In the early 1990's only two coal fired drys remained; Great Wheal Prosper dry at Carbis Wharf, and another (not rail served) deep in the west near St Just. 

Stoker,

Can you say a bit more about the China clay industry at St Just? 
Duncan

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/06/2021 at 00:33, drduncan said:

Stoker,

Can you say a bit more about the China clay industry at St Just? 
Duncan

There isn't really a lot to tell. West of St Austell kaolinized granite was very sparse, with deposits occurring all over the place, but never very much in any one place. A lot of it was used for brickmaking rather than shipping as regular bulk clay, as there was much demand for fire bricks at the height of Cornish metal mining. The workings near St Just were one of the more significant deposits in the west, and occurred on the St Just moors. The deposit was ultimately split between two works; Lower Bostraze and Leswidden. The latter was closed during WW2 and never re-opened, while the former ended up in ECC hands, working in rather primitive fashion until the early 90s. "'Ow 'bout Bostraze?" became the common retort from Goonvean & Rostowrack employees whenever the ECLP lads jokingly referred to the company as "Goonvean & Prehistoric".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Rhysb said:

Moving house at the moment Andy! Updates hopefully in a couple of weeks

Rhys

Yes, I forgot, You also have that other small matter to deal with anytime now as well.:laugh: All the best for that.:good:

• Funny 1

• 9 months later...

So another afternoon and evening on the linhay.

Managed to get all the breezeblock plasticard onto the main structure, finish off the metal framing and also the concrete platform, just detailing to come now:

thumbnail_IMG_0397.jpg.86f7321453921205a249723a9884b895.jpg

Tre Pol & Pen brings a couple of CDA's into the dry:

thumbnail_IMG_0398.jpg.7649c72c4e9ebbb209e891d88a3803b1.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0399.jpg.512443a0e62271c9d2eae3b3bf2b7816.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0401.jpg.4de13ac2d87bed0fa3f8455f8879965b.jpg

Finally an overall view of the board:

thumbnail_IMG_0400.jpg.d033497462f2b511ee2688d62747928e.jpg

Now its time for moss, moss and a bit more moss!

Thanks

Rhys

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Well with little over a month until Porthleven makes it’s debut at the Taunton Railex show I have a lot to do!

However I have got to a good place in that the China clay linhay is pretty much complete and this board is nearing completion

IMG_3036.jpeg.fdedab45b3a9a5e5625d2d35994d8839.jpeg

IMG_3038.jpeg.fd33ef939b29cc574d357c546bc2afdd.jpeg

Now back to the other boards!

Rhys

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 5 weeks later...