Porthleven - Cornish Harbour & China Clay Circa 1990

Rhysb

6 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Caught this at the Taunton show earlier, very impressive scenically. Would be good to see again once the harbour end is finished

Thank you. Hopefully this winter I can get the harbour done for some shows next year.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

As already mentioned it was great to see this at Taunton at the weekend  (overall an excellent show I thought).

The scenery is lovely, and the harbour area will complement it nicely.

I liked the gorse. As I mentioned on Sunday my Gran reckoned it is time for kissing when the gorse is in bloom,

(she was a Devon lass, born on Dartmoor),

cheers

• Like 2

Hi

Wish I could've got to Taunton to see the layout.

The excellent pictures & video really show what a superb layout this is......

What I really like is the feeling of space with 'busyness' at both ends with the works ,& harbour which when finished will really add to the scene.......

Also lots of operational interest (play value).

It  looks a lot longer than I had imagined it to be....I'll have to reread your thread to find out the dimensions.

As the gorse is in flower I assume the layout is set in late winter /early spring as 'bush' /common gorse flowers normally in Dec to March round here near Redruth though it has already started to flower here which is early.I notice looking at the Wildlife trust site that the flowering period of gorse runs 'til June but it's always over long before then here.

Once again.....Inspirational modelling......Keep up the good work.

Cheers Bill

Edited by treggyman
Additional gorse info
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, treggyman said:

Yes good play value but also operationally sound. 

49 minutes ago, treggyman said:

It  looks a lot longer than I had imagined it to be....I'll have to reread your thread to find out the dimensions.

Ah yes, depending how you look at it it’s 15ft long, or possibly 20ft . . . Steve the exhibition manager and Rhys had a deep conversation about this 😇

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

After a great weekend operating the rookie's layout on its first outing I thought I'd add a few pics for the record.

IMG_5873.JPG.5a72b9ba6cb882ce6ec479192c488439.JPG

A view of the clay dry dwarfing the stock in front and giving a good idea of its size.

IMG_5874.JPG.dd8684ac6bb38feea045b1850b63fe45.JPG

One of the Exford St Blazey fleet 37671 draws some CDAs out.

IMG_5876.JPG.efc1de32a1138445f26ea2c7770b723d.JPG

A great pic showing how good the layout is.

IMG_5879.JPG.a049bcafaa36d222a898b3a32b018715.JPG

Another one of the Exford fleet comes to a stand at the end of the headshunt above the cliffs.

IMG_5875.JPG.e9083e441b9d12a496567e7af588fdc8.JPG

The resident 08 takes a break under one of the canopies.

IMG_5880.JPG.4517606a5bd01f9146ca99c214c30431.JPG

A bit later in the day and 'Tre Pol & Pen' is back with another train and is amongst the Gorse.

There you go then I think you'll agree it's shaping up to be a fine layout that will be popular on the circuit. (especially when its finished!)😉

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

21 hours ago, treggyman said:

Hi

Wish I could've got to Taunton to see the layout.

The excellent pictures & video really show what a superb layout this is......

What I really like is the feeling of space with 'busyness' at both ends with the works ,& harbour which when finished will really add to the scene.......

As the gorse is in flower I assume the layout is set in late winter /early spring as 'bush' /common gorse flowers normally in Dec to March round here near Redruth though it has already started to flower here which is early.I notice looking at the Wildlife trust site that the flowering period of gorse runs 'til June but it's always over long before then here.

Once again.....Inspirational modelling......Keep up the good work.

Cheers Bill

Bill,

Thanks for your kind words. Hopefully the layout will be invited to a show in its inspired home further west at some point.

The layout is 20ft x 2ft. It is made up of 4 boards (5ft x 2ft). It was always designed to be that long but pretty much up until its debut at Taunton it was not always photographed fully together so may have looked smaller.

The layout is based in the mid/late Spring so as to have the gorse in flower (bush and ground thistle types) alongside other spring flowers to have dots of colour. I may be a month or so out but imagined a dry late spring so the grass is also slightly lighter.

Thanks

Rhys

• Like 3

Well what a weekend! Porthleven's debut is over and I have to say after all the panic, last minute scenic work and worrying it wasn't going to work I am now extremely pleased and happy with what I have achieved. Big thanks to Ian & Paul for their efforts and glad they enjoyed operating the layout. Having two experienced people with show layouts was vital.

It went up pretty quickly, operated well, was reliable on its first run and the snag list is only minor items and finally it was pretty easy and quick to take apart. The Uhlenbrock DCC command station was the only let down as it does not like anything fitted with an ESU v5 chip onwards! Luckily the Exford fleet stepped in.

Will sort out most of the snag list over the coming weeks and the winter will be dedicated to weathering the new stock and the harbour area and buildings.

A few pics of the layout working:

37671 is on military duties bringing in some equipment to be run round and taken into RNAS Culdrose:

thumbnail_IMG_3210.jpg.80cc128b30a889d254ae106c092c99ab.jpg

The Hornby CDA's served us well but will be replaced with the stunning Cavalex versions for the next show:

thumbnail_IMG_3217.jpg.174d71b30019fa0e1be3eb5a3e488284.jpg

Loading of a few cargowaggons in the dry:

thumbnail_IMG_3218.jpg.92ed6c2587e2d4eed27dec387b5b562c.jpg

Thank you to all in person and on social media etc who gave some great feedback on the layout and hopefully with some more work I can bring the layout on further.

Rhys

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 months later...

So with no bookings so far this year I was going to put the layout on hold for a while. However a potential magazine shoot coming up in a few months I thought its time to crack on with the harbour and at least get that board up to the standard of the rest of the layout. I have a number of buildings already done so I have decided to build a few more.

I have a general idea of what buildings I want where but at the same time I will make a few more for various idea's and then I can use them to plan out what looks best and then the remainder of the buildings can go on the big home layout. 

First project is a set of cottages that I have actually stayed in when I have visited Porthleven and had the dimensions. Here they are: Jerboa Cottages:

IMG_4049.jpg.c79d1658ee300b1c450c13d732dbad40.jpg

First up is a A4 sheet of 2mm mounting board where I scale draw the various parts of the building onto:

IMG_3978.jpg.583458b391b8676577e7814630320875.jpg

And cut out:

IMG_3979.jpg.42f620271ca2bd9b6c78c22963ade1a6.jpg

After a test fit I built and glued the parts. To give the main structure strength I use corner pieces:

IMG_3982.jpg.7ca01bbe9f06ffc1e232128c1cffa637.jpg

The real Jerboa cottages has some steps out the front so these were added. Jerboa cottages is actually located on the side of the harbour that is in reality opposite to what I am modelling but I will move these onto the sloping road up to the mine or next to the pub so I added less steps:

IMG_3985.jpg.c56422fa386eecaf214c2ee0df9bd3f6.jpg

And finally a test of the roof:

IMG_3983.jpg.83fb5097c06aee4994378d9d09886955.jpg

More to follow:

Thanks

Rhys

• Like 7

Continuing Jerboa Cottages. 

The last couple of buildings I have made I have used textured paints but this time after seeing the technique on quite a few great expo layouts and using it for the bridge over Lostwithlea I decided to go with DAS clay and scribe all the stonework. First up a layer of DAS clay:

IMG_3986.jpg.74d862a10f65c2cf56cd083c3845ad48.jpg

For the larger stones I used a flat scribing tool to depress the clay as this gives a bit more depth that scribing:

IMG_4032.jpg.34939d4e152e2b14f0eb7d4fe23f7e8b.jpg

Next onto scribing the stone walls:

IMG_4036.jpg.b88946e9e50eea29aac822aa265db206.jpg

Finally a lick of paint! A mixture of colours to make up the base coat then highlighted by slightly different colours. Finally a buff and sand colour wash to bring out the mortar:

IMG_4039.jpg.96a515a11859d7fc28f8595828e95f7a.jpg

IMG_4040.jpg.e35ed6b50cf93bf1e5ef57b75ae85904.jpg

Roof, finishing touches etc to come...

Thanks

Rhys

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Rhysb said:

The final touches like the railings, rear porch, chimney etc will be added once it is in its final location

😇 Just added one to the list 😉 Looking superb. 

45 minutes ago, Rhysb said:

I was going to put the layout on hold for a while.

😮

45 minutes ago, Rhysb said:

However a potential magazine shoot coming up in a few months I thought its time to crack on

😁 

• Like 2

Hi

Where's the fab button....

That's an excellent outcome & more importantly thanks for the step by step detailing of the build......

Having seen the results of your efforts I'm certainly tempted to have a go myself though I will probably use my usual base of 3mm Foamboard......

Keep up the good work....

Cheers Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1