Porthleven - Cornish Harbour & China Clay Circa 1990

Rhysb

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

If there was still a line to Helston in the 90s, then there could be tin as well :beee:

Funnily enough I did ponder that thought to Rhys when Kernow announced another run of the tin mine! ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Fantastic ! Love the area and time. I assembled a load of stock for a China clay plank but never got round to using it, as I got distracted .

Its certainly close enough to clay country to be plausible ( and I don’t think there were many broccoli or tin trains in 1990 - rolls eyes ). 

You are close enough to culdrose - id Chuck some MOD stuff as well. Couple of years back some VGAs from ernesettle RNAD were tripped to SB.....maybe an Av fuel tank or two , dropped off by the Penzance tripper......

close enough, close enough...!

Exactly my thoughts! I have some VGA’s ready to go!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...

Good evening all,

Apologies as it’s been a little time now without an update! Xmas etc takes a higher amount of time! Plus I’m still awaiting delivery of my boards. Hopefully these will be with me in the next few weeks.

So... I have started Linhay building! This will be the main feature on the right hand side of the layout and at over 3.5 feet long (which is still small compared to real life when upscaled 76 times!) It’s pretty big and will dominate a huge area of the layout.

I have been making 3 inserts which will sit inside the superstructure and will provide the detail at the door openings. This will give the impression of a full detailed building even though only the front area is modelled.

So to give you an idea:

82174B3E-495F-4958-8E96-18F71F0E1E8B.jpeg.68289e11a95b426c3c610b9d0fa8115c.jpeg
As you can see this insert will sit under the roof and awning of the Linhay and with a few more details to be added you get the effect of a working Linhay.

C2625A79-D7A6-4BC8-AA5E-0C2D78032479.jpeg.d724a680ba2cabc48e935fc7473e79bd.jpeg

I am lucky in that I make paint for a living so I have a supply of a particular material that I can use to model China clay...

F1E71544-97F6-4C7B-A8A0-37ECEAC64E99.jpeg.de55ece57bc35c35ff273c1929ee4972.jpeg

I’m just waiting for that... “your China clay doesn’t look realistic” from someone at an exhibition :)

Have fun and speak soon.

Rhys

• Like 9
  • Funny 4

Rhys, somewhat off topic, but I can't help but notice your company is using the wrong type of Kaolin. Kaopolite SF is an abrasive grade normally used in the manufacture of toothpaste and polish, and is manufactured in Sandersville, Georgia, USA (read: higher shipping costs). Correct me if I'm wrong but I suspect your company is attempting to use the product as an opacifier. The product you probably want is Imerys Opacilite, which is manufactured in Cornwall, and will produce far superior results. Likely worth bringing it to the attention of your bosses as I suspect they're probably just buying this stuff from a distributor/supplier without realizing.

Edited by Stoker
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 31/01/2020 at 19:42, Stoker said:

Rhys, somewhat off topic, but I can't help but notice your company is using the wrong type of Kaolin. Kaopolite SF is an abrasive grade normally used in the manufacture of toothpaste and polish, and is manufactured in Sandersville, Georgia, USA (read: higher shipping costs). Correct me if I'm wrong but I suspect your company is attempting to use the product as an opacifier. The product you probably want is Imerys Opacilite, which is manufactured in Cornwall, and will produce far superior results. Likely worth bringing it to the attention of your bosses as I suspect they're probably just buying this stuff from a distributor/supplier without realizing.

I guess I was a little too vague on this one. Where I said I am a paint manufacturer I should have said “aerosol based coatings”! The photo was taken by snapping the first pallet I saw in the warehouse marked “imerys” and not of the exact China clay for paints. We make putties, adhesives, silicones etc etc etc as well as our main business of spray paints. The photo was more to point out I’m using real China clay on my layout!

kudos on the good spot but I’m sure our chemists are using the right stuff in the right product. Plus I’m the boss so I will have a word with myself :)

• Like 6

Anyway more Linhay building has commenced! This evening I was working on the fronting on the loading platform along with the doors and interior detail:

C123FFC6-E151-4D8E-91CC-BBCF5925FEB4.jpeg.2da4341994fbbebdeea7082de81c6549.jpeg

Here you can start to see the scene inside! 
9495CB11-0B67-4B18-AC84-D6865D639AE2.jpeg.46332fce126cc03cf5b0ba75f6c76b7f.jpeg

Also started to try and figure out how the roof will come together. Decided on slaters sheets cut into individual boards. Created a little test area which I will paint, weather and add growing moss etc to see how it looks before tackling the whole roof:

91A0291E-C5FF-4B70-852C-A0039657C862.jpeg.b81d13f60eb2c13290e750322cdaaf80.jpeg

The above picture shows one of the sections. There will be at least 3 of these loading bays.

Edited by Rhysb
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

For the roof, you could use a complete sheet of wriggly tin, overlaid with pieces of kitchen foil pushed into the valleys. Use strips that are a std sheet wide, but all should reach to the ridge line.

If you use foil pieces which are std sheet size in length as well,  the top edge of the previous row is'visible' as an unwanted ridge.

20190322_082818.jpg.6f634d434afb07d664b15dfd18519a07.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

One of the key wagons on the layout will be the good old CDA wagon! I have started to weather all my stock tonight while I’m experimenting with the roof sheeting on the Linhay.

So from this:

CEC21AFA-BBFE-45D9-9F58-0CBF5DED4784.jpeg.618301e45e971a8a287ec4235c81234b.jpeg

To this:

C25A21F5-08B4-4C77-9709-2F2D255C2688.jpeg.4e1f8bdbe0bc256332bead608c877e5b.jpeg

5C0001F4-3BFF-4C28-8665-04EE358F03F9.jpeg.8635e81a1f12551f00acc6b67296c6de.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
On 12/11/2019 at 23:09, Rhysb said:

Bill,

Thanks for your comments. Yes a year might be pushing it but here goes!

Regards the 5ft boards I was originally planning 4ft boards and the carrying of the layout in an estate car was inspired by Tidworth by Temeraire. I went with 5ft after I realised I could easily get this in my car with plenty of space and the temptation of having a slightly longer layout was too much to pass up! plus the discovery of 18mm lightweight ply baseboards from James at DCC train automation which are pretty much liftable with one hand!

but yes indeed it does tie me into at least having one car big enough to carry the layout!

Have you measured carefully? Not many estate cars would carry 4 x 5' x 2' boards. The floor area is OK but one loses so much volume to the sloping rear hatchback. 5 x 4' x 2' boards is probably easier.

Love the layout design and think that it will make a great exhibition layout with such scenic potential.

7 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

Excellent that Rhys. I’ll venture real China clay mixed and used?

Cheers 

Thanks!

Yes the real China clay creates the volume and texture and then a number of different acrylic paints on top.

45 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Have you measured carefully? Not many estate cars would carry 4 x 5' x 2' boards. The floor area is OK but one loses so much volume to the sloping rear hatchback. 5 x 4' x 2' boards is probably easier.

Love the layout design and think that it will make a great exhibition layout with such scenic potential.

It’s a pretty big estate car! Yes it definitely fits! It doesn’t have much of a sloping roof line and I can carry 6x3 flat sheets in it easily.

6 hours ago, Iron Horse said:

Very much enjoying this thread Rhys, thanks for sharing. What sort of proceedure have you followed for weathering the CDA's as they do look rather tasty :D

Thanks! 

First part is covering the wagon with dirt colours to add a bit of grime. I then secondly liberally cover the wagon in real China clay and wipe off the excess. Seal this in with PlastiKote hobby sealer then finally dry brush with Pebeo white and concrete acrylics. Then seal with the PlastiKote again!

1553B896-BD6C-4521-859B-4B70F9E0F6BD.jpeg.c7be457d9dde21c9a8a8fc94e1389e7e.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The method for corrugated roofing that I've used with great success is to cover the entire roof in styrene sheet to provide a gluing surface, then cut the corrugated sheet into strips of the desired size and glue them onto the styrene sheet. Then above each strip lay a thin strip of styrene to bolster the bottom end of the next strip so as to create a visible lap.

This example is a HO scale grain elevator and feed mill complex that I've had on the back burner for a while:

1338658551_corrugatedonelevator.jpg.f43debe50738c82b61bcb1c4778a2dbe.jpg

Although I've never tried it, I believe it would be quite possible to use this method to create the lap between individual sheets. I've never bothered, choosing instead to create the effect using weathering.

• Like 4

That is the way I would ( and have occasionally) laid model corrugated sheets; and I have laid/mended more than a few of the real thing over the years.

To my eyes, the overlap on side by side sheets is barely visible at full size*, but something like half an inch maybe at the top/bottom over lap.

*on some older, mossy roofs one has to look quite carefully for the join, just to make sure you are attacking the right sheet to start with - I know this well ;)