Another Ikea Crate layout

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Penybontshed said:

Hmmmm, maybe some sand? Tricky to find dry sand at the moment here in Wales! 

I'll bet! I've seen Ruston (Dave) boiled and oven(?) dried his sand in his limestone quarry, so it needn't be dry at the moment sand.

Ta

Ralf

Edited by Ralf
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

I'd say that any fine material will work well, but preferably something finer than the normal ballast. I can recommend garden soil, if you sieve it carefully once it's dried. As for drying materials, leaving them spread thinly on a tray on a windowsill or radiator will probably be sufficient - you're only going to soak it again when you glue it down!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Aquarium sand is very very fine grain. Should be able to get it from your local pet shop - so long as they stock fish, obviously!

I used it for ground cover on my sugar plantation micro:

37851295822_79c9d96859_z.jpg

Edited by DanielB
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I like the crane, but I'm not sure it makes sense positioned over the points - you need to park a wagon underneath to load and unload it, but that would block up the rest of the yard. If it can be positioned over the front siding it might make more sense.

As for the viewblock, a grounded van sounds interesting. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

The crane is cool, but I don't think it fits due to it having to sit over the point.

Having it straddling both sidings makes that area look a bit too cluttered.

I'd go with the van body, but I'd maybe sit it on some sort of base or platform to make it taller, but have it facing away from the track - like its the stores for the yard, rather than used as some sort of goods shed.

• 4 weeks later...

Well further progress has been made and a fiddle stick to provide an off scene area. I may use this to join to another crate, not sure yet.

Must admit the fiddle stick is well “ fiddly” when it comes to connecting

I'm using fishplates but it’s a bit tricky. Is there an alternative that’s more robust? 

0203F93C-5C2D-481F-B2BB-7A68221CD7F3.jpeg

05BA60A2-D164-499C-85A6-BD0609BE1501.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Alas I should have focussed more on the track than the scenery!

I have had to lift the point and need to replace due to damage on the end and couldn't attach my fiddle stick

Can't get a right hand code 75 small radius for love nor money at the moment though!

Still one benefit of such a small layout is it shouldn't prove to arduous.