Devon & Cornwall Railfreight

Ramblin Rich

• RMweb Gold

I've been waiting for this book for over a year but finally got a copy after it was published at the end of October. It's a very thorough review if freight activity in the area, largely focussed on post modernisation era.

The book is good, migrated from the usual Silver Link paperback to a large hardback, which I think is what delayed production. It has a couple of chapters briefly covering history up to modernisation, then the major part of the book has separate chapters for different traffic types - Speedlink, Enterprise, China clay, ball clay, agricultural, aggregate, coal, cement, MoD etc. So slightly difficult to follow history of particular lines but definitely lots of info to pick through.

One review comments about picture quality, some do look like they are over enhanced so colours look false and details blurred, possibly due to being scanned from slides? One steam loco image is elongated horizontally so the smoke box is oval! However, largely good quality and mostly colour.

There's a lot of information to digest and I've picked up some useful details new to me. It is £40 full price though so a lot more than 'standard' Silver Link paperbacks. It's been a long time coming but I'm glad I've got a copy at last. No connection with the publisher except a satisfied customer :)

http://www.nostalgiacollection.com/book.php?isbn=9781857944730

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Curiously the summary of contents on Amazon reads like the pitch for the book - i.e. what it was anticipated to cover, rather than what is does in fact cover.  But it is currently heavily discounted at around £26 (which is the Amazon price, although there are several others at a similar level).

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1