BR MK1 coach interiors

rodent279

• RMweb Gold

Early BR mk1's had wood panelling interiors, sometimes with a small plastic plate displaying the wood type- "Crown Elm" and "Lacewood" are the two that I remember seeing on BR in the 1980's (and regret never photographing!)

What other types of wood were used in mk1 panelling?

And how thick were the panels? Were they actually panels, or were they a veneer of say Crown Elm over a base, like hardboard?

Cheers N

9 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Early BR mk1's had wood panelling interiors, sometimes with a small plastic plate displaying the wood type- "Crown Elm" and "Lacewood" are the two that I remember seeing on BR in the 1980's (and regret never photographing!)

What other types of wood were used in mk1 panelling?

And how thick were the panels? Were they actually panels, or were they a veneer of say Crown Elm over a base, like hardboard?

Cheers N

They would have been veneered on plywood : hardboard's far too unstable ! .....I think a list of woods appeared in Parkin ( https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/british-railways-mark-1-coaches/author/parkin-keith/ )

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Most of the panel work is 6mm or 3mm plywood. Sapele/ mahogany veneer was also used. 

TSOs had lacewood or crown elm or similar coloured timber veneer with Sapele in the vestibules. Compartment coaches varied as to where they were built. You also had formica interiors which were rather dull (in my opinion).

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't like to say when the formica appeared but I think it was before 1966 and the change to blue/grey corporate livery.  Some earlier built coaches were 'refurbished' with it, and with what my nan used to call effervescent lighting.  At Canton in the 70s our older refurbished rakes, on B1 bogies and used for excursion/charter work, retained the wood veneer finishes.  At the time mk1s were introduced there had been a spate of fires, including a very nasty incident at Beattock, that had been spread by the use of an inflammable lacquer in the varnish, and a feature of the mk1s was that the veneers were fire resistant.  

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it.  These were mk3 sleepers with largely formica internal panels even if some were 'wood effect'; I understand flammable veneer did play a part in this tragedy, though.

Taunton was in effect the end for the Mk l sleeping car and the reason for building the Mk lll fleet. 

Mark Saunders

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Late build Mark 1 TSOs had laminate finishes in the passenger saloons. Light grey side panels with a subtle "cross" pattern that reminds me of the telescopic sights on a rifle. Transverse partitions had a red laminate that latterly faded to a pinkish colour, or a vivid lime green-ish colour. 

On a local steam railway, such a TSO was overhauled and lost the laminate in favour of wood veneer.