Rails Announce OO 18000 Gas Turbine Locomotive

Oliver Rails

• RMweb Premium

Amazing announcement, I saw this as a kid on trains and it was mightily impressive. It smelled, it was very loud, and it looked like 1950s SciFi. Orders will be going in. I hope the sound profile is worked on to make it sound as authentic as possible. This loco has been a long time coming in RTR form, and even if BR(WR) is not your thing it is a significant addition to the history of our locomotives.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 7013 said:

even if BR(WR) is not your thing it is a significant addition to the history of our locomotives.

Totally irrelevant to me in terms of both era and geography,  but enough to consult rule#1 and place a pre-order.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

I don't have DCC - but I MUST have sound for this one !

I reckon someone is going to have some fun doing a sound project for this . . . Charlie?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 7013 said:

...It smelled, it was very loud, and it looked like 1950s SciFi...

With a smoke unit the PONG of mostly combusted kerosene should be attainable in addition to the high pitched whine.

30 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

Doesn't say in the specs if this is all-wheel drive, or is going to stay faithful to the A1A-A1A of the prototype. Despite diminished hauling, I'd be hoping for A1A-A1A, a heavy chassis and four driven axles should be enough.

Heljan have to date made all their three axle bogie models with the centre wheel an idler, and you will look in vain I think for any complaints of lack of traction; in common with other makers centre motor drives they will pull loads far beyond what their prototypes were seen with.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Eeep!!!!

I built an N gauge whitemetal kit of 18000 many years ago and I've always wanted a "proper" fully detailed one.....

Now lets play "hunt the wallet"....

Same for me. Ordered one to 'back up' my old resin one. Well it needs new traction tyres - any excuse:rolleyes:

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Many congratulations to Rails on this announcement!

The loco has been in The Top 50 of The 00 Wishlist Poll since 2013, apart from 2015 when it was just a handful of votes outside.

We wish Rails every success with the project.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team, but will be buying one personally :))

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JJGraphics said:

I reckon someone is going to have some fun doing a sound project for this . . . Charlie?

It's going to be interesting trying to get the diesel to gas turbine start-up and changeover sorted and working in a way that sounds right.  I saw it once or twice but only at/starting away from a station so I only ever heard it running at low power output.

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

With a smoke unit the PONG of mostly combusted kerosene should be attainable in addition to the high pitched whine.

Heljan have to date made all their three axle bogie models with the centre wheel an idler, and you will look in vain I think for any complaints of lack of traction; in common with other makers centre motor drives they will pull loads far beyond what their prototypes were seen with.

I doubt it would pong of combusted kerosene as the Whittle turbine on 18000 was designed to run on pre-heated Bunker C heavy fuel oil - the same stuff that was used on GWR oil burning steam engines.  It also used on ordinary 'diesel' (presumably gas oil?) for the diesel engine.  It was stated in one PR release that 18100 would use 'the same fuel as diesel (rail)cars' but it was supposed also to be designed to run on Heavy Fuel Oil although it could no doubt burn diesel just as effectively.

• Informative/Useful 2