Rails Announce OO 18000 Gas Turbine Locomotive

Oliver Rails

Mmm, might be tempted to get one to run on Dolgellau.  And before anyone piles in, yes I know Kerosene Castle was red spot and the Dolgellau route was blue spot but (1) It'll wind up the kettleistas which I enjoy and (2) if you disapprove, bite me.  We have a 12 year old modeller who helps us out and we let him run his (and my) modern DMUs and locos on the route at quiet moments so I suspect something that hopefully will have DCC sound doing an impersonation of a de Havilland Vampire will impress him.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

13 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

It's going to be interesting trying to get the diesel to gas turbine start-up and changeover sorted and working in a way that sounds right.  ..........

Simple - get the real one restored and record it ............ has the GWS got a collection tin ready ?

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

As a Southern modeller not my area but I’m definitely thinking an experimental run to compare with my 10201 will be necessary.  The question is if they can make the sound right and add some smoke effects will they duplicate the alleged laxative effect that the exhaust had on passengers riding in the first few coaches? 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

I seem to remember reading somewhere there is/was one of the Gas Turbine engines on mainland Europe. Perhaps Pete Waterman could buy it and reunite it with the shell.

• RMweb Premium
Just now, No Decorum said:

Wonderful news! Just when I had decided that no mainstream manufacturer would produce one and I would have to turn to Silver Fox. An impressive sound project is available.

I watched your film earlier, very impressive. Where is the sound project from?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Did she ever run on Western Region named trains services.

Hello gwrrob

The Railway Observer for May 1957 says:

The 'Merchant Venturer' joined the ranks of chocolate & cream trains on 1 April, but the set is spoiled by a maroon slip and occasionally an extra red and cream coach for Reading. The Gas Turbine 18000 has been working the down train recently, returning with the lightly loaded 4.15pm from Bristol.

Probably not a named train per se, but the issue for October 1958 records that on 29 August, No.18000 worked a special 8-coach train from Paddington-Oxford conveying delegates to the Seventh International Symposium on Combustion. Departure was at 10.08am and one hour was allowed for the run. It returned light engine (LE) at 12.15pm.

Brian

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Yes.  And of course it ran to Plymouth at various times ;)

On the Saturdays  only “South Hams Limited” Paddington-Kingsbridge.( empty stock working to Laira.)A piece of her turbine is reputedly enshrined   In the carpark of Tesco’s in the town.......emoticons not working.

Yours,Flying Officer Piglet......

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

There was mention of whether or not it would be all-wheel-drive.

Answered with Heljan's historic A1A powered configurations for Co-Co's anyway.

There is the other consideration, if this is to be as accurate as required and expected nowadays, the 'trailing' wheels are smaller than the main drivers.

Mains are 4' 0.25", and the centre 'trailing' wheels are 3' 2".

Trying to synchronise that could be difficult!

Al.

• Like 1

It seems Swindon was obsessed with black under frames. As supplied 18000 had silver-painted bogies and the fuel tanks etc between the bogies were also silver. By the time of the Swindon official photographs, only the bogies remained silver. Bus builders generally painted all chassis areas 'aluminium' and it was noticeable on the AC railbus W79976 that although the areas visible from the sides had been over-painted black, once you got right underneath everything was still 'silver'. Sad to see the state of 18000 rotting away at Didcot. Really ought to be in the National Collection as its the only significant survivor from the 'black traction' era that linked steam and 'modern' traction. She's actually older than some 'Castles' that she was intended to replace, if only space-age heat resistant materials had been available at the time. I once had the privilege of looking through 18000's  Failure Book at the NRM, essentially an album of photos of parts that had failed. It consisted mainly of combustion chamber linings which looked like a garden incinerator after you've had a lot of fires in it, jumped on it several times and its been out in the rain going rusty for a year! (CJL)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Which did time as a static exhibit on the South Bank exhibition in 1951 and ended its days as a25 Kv test bed on the Styal line

Was it E2100? If it was, I saw it at Rugby a long time ago.