Rails Announce OO 18000 Gas Turbine Locomotive

Oliver Rails

40 minutes ago, Garry D100 said:

Ive the late crest green on order but the gloss black looks very tempting.

wonder if i could change the order, Oliver?

thanks

Hi, It shouldn't be a problem, I cannot do it via RM web but if you contact our mail order team they will happily assist you

Thanks

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 19/06/2020 at 14:35, Oliver Rails said:

18000artwork.jpg.899693880d5e65bbf5c8c8e3bb48e0ae.jpg

Further updates including the expected delivery dates are expected over the upcoming weeks and will be determined by upcoming sample approval. 

Any updates please on these much anticipated models on when you're likely to get a running sample after the artwork is approved.

• RMweb Gold

That green looks a bit too much like the current paint colour on the real one and not very much like the normal 'Swindon green' (as used on steam engines) that was applied to it when in traffic.  Maybe the colour rendition above is a bit pale because the black version looks more dark grey than black?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

That green looks a bit too much like the current paint colour on the real one and not very much like the normal 'Swindon green' (as used on steam engines) that was applied to it when in traffic.  Maybe the colour rendition above is a bit pale because the black version looks more dark grey than black?

It's computer artwork, not actual paint shades. I have never been entirely convinced that it was ever green but I have been shown a couple of pictures that appear to prove the point. However, there was a tendency for green to register much darker on the colour films of the period. It is well known that the shade it carries at present is something bought off the shelf in a DIY store and bears no relation to the actual BR loco green. Equally, if the black was printed as black on the artwork, all the detail in black would disappear. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Time hasn’t been kind..

78692730-57A7-4046-BCC4-E88F2A626606.jpeg.d01887014c65e77725c58de338fa3d04.jpeg

there was a big chunk of rot on the floor yesterday, 1ft plus wide, 6” across seems to have fallen off.F99031E3-3399-42C5-BB50-010842879EAC.jpeg.6e2c576d385c1a624f459bea859a7069.jpeg

Looks like my dad's Fiat Strada when it failed the first MOT due to the rust round the filler cap!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Amand said:

Looks like my dad's Fiat Strada when it failed the first MOT due to the rust round the filler cap!

Not as bad as my mate's Alpha Romeo that literally broke in half going down the M3. He walked way from it, but was very lucky!

It had only had an MOT three months before, he never went back to that garage again.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Missed word
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Not as bad as my Alpha Romeo that literally broke in half going down the M3. He walked way from it, but was very lucky!

It had only had an MOT three months before, he never went back to that garage again.

Roy

I have never had any faith in the MoT test since the subframe fell out of my Triumph 1300 just two days after it passed. Fortunately, I was only going slowly as going over a "sleeping policeman" at the entrance to the Polytechnic car park.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Alfas and Triumphs. Strangely two flawed thoroughbreds...My 1965 Vitesse suffered a fractured front n/s wheel disc which parted company with its tyre .This duly proceeded ahead of the rest of the vehicle which gracelessly but safely ground  to a halt on three legs. 

My Alfa 147 diesel filled one with sensations of the Mille Miglia....until its clutch seized immovably and ignominiously in a bus lane in the middle of Cambridge,cost a night’s hotel expense and had to be towed home the following day.

Both were great to drive.No consolation 

Talking of flawed propulsion in the form of 18000. .....be like H.Ford.

Any colour you like etc.....Swiss technology etc...the bravura of BR black with the motley collection of Colletts and Hawksworths ,reporting number to the front. Looking forward to enjoying.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Hmm, that begins to look tempting.  Is the main orange band very slightly too high - I think it should align with the centtre of the lower 'ring' of the 8 digit according to photos late in the loco's working life.

I don't know if these photos help; all images copyright unknown - will remove if requested.

18000_06.jpg.1ebe2f2dbe6d151cb1054eb700f0b2ae.jpg

18000_07.jpg.2582d542447d5aec61e5013e75a4747d.jpg

18000_09.jpg.cbf52583a7d0cdc8c8b21a2de0d39488.jpg

The 'unicycling lion' image shows the prominent reddish orange line at the edge of the roof - and the later images show that this line was still present.

The bodyside lining should be the same reddish orange with, it would seem, fine white lines either side.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you showing the livery samples - 18000 looks splendid, and I'm really glad I've pre-ordered (in the late-crest livery)

However, one small point - the "orange" band on the sample looks too yellow (as opposed to orange) and ever-so-slightly too wide when compared with the posted images of the real thing. To the Stationmaster's point - I think the bottom of the band is in the right place, but because it's slightly too wide, that makes it look a bit high.

• Agree 3

On 26/10/2020 at 12:30, cctransuk said:

I don't know if these photos help; all images copyright unknown - will remove if requested.

18000_06.jpg.1ebe2f2dbe6d151cb1054eb700f0b2ae.jpg

18000_07.jpg.2582d542447d5aec61e5013e75a4747d.jpg

18000_09.jpg.cbf52583a7d0cdc8c8b21a2de0d39488.jpg

The 'unicycling lion' image shows the prominent reddish orange line at the edge of the roof - and the later images show that this line was still present.

The bodyside lining should be the same reddish orange with, it would seem, fine white lines either side.

John Isherwood.

Dear All,

Thanks for the kind comments about the 18000 deco sample. Just to reassure everyone, we also feel that the waistband orange is too bright and we have asked the factory to modify it for the production locos. 

With regard to the main body green, it is matched to Railmatch 303 BR diesel loco green. We certainly wouldn't match it to the colour it is painted now. From memory, it was painted green during its stay at Barrow Hill - primarily to try and protect the disintegrating bodywork - and the paint was sourced from a local DIY store! 

Kindest Regards

Ben

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1