Rails Announce OO 18000 Gas Turbine Locomotive

Oliver Rails

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Indeed what stopped them having a herald one way, and a logo the other ?

There was, at that time, a certain kudos to having a corporate Coat-of-Arms - I'm not even sure the term logo existed at the time. There were, too problems with logos - remember the 'arrow of indecision' which looked absurd on the funnels of Sealink ships because the up and down lines had to be reversed, otherwise it only looked silly! (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, dibber25 said:

There was, at that time, a certain kudos to having a corporate Coat-of-Arms - I'm not even sure the term logo existed at the time. There were, too problems with logos - remember the 'arrow of indecision' which looked absurd on the funnels of Sealink ships because the up and down lines had to be reversed, otherwise it only looked silly! (CJL)

Which led to pictures like this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/Sealink_ferries_Horsa_and_Maid_of_Orleans%2C_Dover%2C_1973.jpg

Roy

• Like 2

It seems to be derived from the official blason here:

http://www.heraldry-wiki.com/heraldrywiki/wiki/British_Railways_Board

For the crest it says: A demi lion gules holding between the paws a railway wheel argent.

This is actually a description any heraldic artist could pick up and draw (gules = red, argent = silver, demi = half etc...).

By default, this means the lion faces to the left otherwise it would say: A demi lion reversed gules holding between the paws a railway wheel argent.

What is missing is the Crown used on locos and rolling stock. We should at least see something like  a crown or in base and maybe the crown itself needs further describing as well.

So I am wondering if there is a further heraldic record for the crest used on rolling stock itself.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a real liking for the black and silver livery and this locomotive looks rather smart in it, so pre-order placed. My wallet is not happy though.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

I have a real liking for the black and silver livery and this locomotive looks rather smart in it, so pre-order placed. My wallet is not happy though.

Rails has just said that a sound upgrade package will be available. My wallet will be unhappy as well! A sound project does exist but it would need to be heavily modified to suit the lighting arrangements of the model. Is it too early to ask Rails about a model of 18100, both in the form of a gas turbine and a Class 80 electric? Perhaps I should start saving now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Rails has just said that a sound upgrade package will be available. My wallet will be unhappy as well! A sound project does exist but it would need to be heavily modified to suit the lighting arrangements of the model. Is it too early to ask Rails about a model of 18100, both in the form of a gas turbine and a Class 80 electric? Perhaps I should start saving now.

I’d much prefer your Wonder Locomotive.

1 minute ago, Downer said:

I’d much prefer your Wonder Locomotive.

Of course, I’d be all for that; It’s the one item missing from my list of prototype mainline diesel electrics. On the other hand, 18100 would complete the gas turbines and the Class 80 would give a nudge to the huge gap that is AC electrics. All three would be very welcome but I fancy that Rails might choose at least 18100 now that 18000 seems to have sold well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

....  but I fancy that Rails might choose at least 18100 now that 18000 seems to have sold well.

We can hope but let's give our wallets a chance to recover! :) 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/11/2020 at 21:21, cctransuk said:

Chris,

My comments were not meant in any way to be derogatory .

John Isherwood.

Well, there’s a rarity.....

Edited by D9001
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, D9001 said:

Well, there’s a rarity.....

Unnecessary. John may not suffer fools lightly, and he makes his point with “conviction”, but deliberately derogatory?

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, truffy said:

Unnecessary. John may not suffer fools lightly, and he makes his point with “conviction”, but deliberately derogatory?

Thank you - your support is greatly appreciated.

During the past 72 years, I have heard enough 'flannel', two-faced double talk, and 'pussy-footing-around' to have learned that  'speaking as you find' is always best.

I call a 'spade a shovel', as we Lancastrians do, and I make no apology for that.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I call a 'spade a shovel',

That’s actually totally incorrect though as they are different tools. A spade is shorter and has a flat blade, while a shovel is longer, angled, and its blade is curved into more of a scoop. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

That’s actually totally incorrect though as they are different tools. A spade is shorter and has a flat blade, while a shovel is longer, angled, and its blade is curved into more of a scoop. 

I'm sure that you are correct - but it's a common phrase, nonetheless.

(G*d preserve us from pedants)!

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

I thought spade was a term of racist abuse, and any self-respecting shovel would be within his rights to be offended at being called one.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I'm sure that you are correct - but it's a common phrase, nonetheless.

(G*d preserve us from pedants)!

John Isherwood.

I always thought it was “call a spade a spade”?......Might be different in Lancaster, moot point as we would all get charged with racial slurs now......no idea what it is in Cornish though John ;)

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

I always thought it was “call a spade a spade”?......Might be different in Lancaster, moot point as we would all get charged with racial slurs now......no idea what it is in Cornish though John ;)

I think that the phrase 'call a spade a shovel' was coined to emphasise that Lancastrians (and others) regard 'calling a spade a spade' a bit 'namby-pamby'; it implies an even greater degree of 'directness'!

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I think that the phrase 'call a spade a shovel' was coined to emphasise that Lancastrians (and others) regard 'calling a spade a spade' a bit 'namby-pamby'; it implies an even greater degree of 'directness'!

John Isherwood.

When I lived in Yorkshire it was always "call a spade a bl00dy shovel".

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

Or stupidity since they are 2 different tools. Like “calling a hammer an axe”

Or calling a screwdriver a chisel.

Oh, wait...

• Funny 3