Rails Announce OO 18000 Gas Turbine Locomotive

Oliver Rails

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

That’s actually totally incorrect though as they are different tools. A spade is shorter and has a flat blade, while a shovel is longer, angled, and its blade is curved into more of a scoop. 

That's why I call a spade a spade.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Ian J. said:

I have some striped paint buried in storage somewhere...

We had a clever dick of an apprentice once who was told to go to the stores and get a box of assorted holes...............he came back with a set of drills, he made tea for a week.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

We had a clever dick of an apprentice once who was told to go to the stores and get a box of assorted holes...............he came back with a set of drills, he made tea for a week.

You were lucky, a smarter one at a factory near here, when told to fetch a dozen half-inch holes, asked to borrow the "old hand's" cap to carry them in. The latter fell for it, and never lived it down. I understand his perforated headgear was exhibited on the wall for many years afterwards.:jester:

John 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Really looking forward to this Loco now, now I have heard the sound it really makes the Loco a lot more interesting, I had the pre-order and was wondering what to do about sound for it, well done RoS.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

Do we know how close the sounds Rails have used are to what the real locomotive would have sounded like?

Having recently watched, and listened to, the UP turbo locos on YouTube, I was reminded of the sound of a jet aircraft when taxiing.

John Isherwood.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

I did but I can't remember what it sounded like (but I certainly don't recognise that whistle o be honest but maybe i never heard it).

Funny you should say that.  I definitely didn't hear it so I've no idea what's correct - but listening to the  clip I thought it all sounded plausible with the exception of that whistle - it just didn't seem to fit, but could well be correct for all I would know.  Doesn't matter as I've ordered it without sound!

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Funny you should say that.  I definitely didn't hear it so I've no idea what's correct - but listening to the  clip I thought it all sounded plausible with the exception of that whistle - it just didn't seem to fit, but could well be correct for all I would know.  Doesn't matter as I've ordered it without sound!

So have I....in BR monochrome. How in the name of ###### is it possible to send tablets of stone to the eagerly awaiting multitude on this ? Most who actually heard the thing are either defunct or in preparation thereunto,myself included.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

If the original whistle is still on the loco, it wouldn’t be hard to test it and get the correct pitch.  As there doesn’t seem to be film with a sound track on it, so it’s probably very difficult to get the turbine noise “right”, so a compromise of trying to get it as close as they can to what it probably sounded like.

Trouble with those who actually saw and heard it in real life, memories often play tricks on you, to the extent that no two peoples memories are the same.

Edited by jools1959
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, jools1959 said:

If the original whistle is still on the loco, it wouldn’t be hard to test it and get the correct pitch.  As there doesn’t seem to be film with a sound track on it, so it’s probably very difficult to get the turbine noise “right”, so a compromise of trying to get it as close as they can to what it probably sounded like.

Trouble with those who actually saw and heard it in real life, memories often play tricks on you, to the extent that no two peoples memories are the same.

As far as I can tell from images, 18000 seems to have retained its whistle, which is quite amazing considering how bashed about it is. I can imagine that recording its sound is possible but would involve stripping paint off it, arranging a compressed air supply and then dragging a recording expert and his equipment there to capture the sound. Whilst that is done for a complete sound project, it seems a lot to do merely to capture the sound of the whistle, especially given that the main sounds are informed guesswork. To me, it sounds like a compressed air whistle similar to those on the Bulleid diesels and I’m content to accept it as a best guess.