Rails Announce OO 18000 Gas Turbine Locomotive

Oliver Rails

• RMweb Gold
On 27/07/2021 at 19:17, 7013 said:

Yes, it is sad to see 18000 looking so forlorn in Didcot. Unless some money is spent stopping the rot it will be too late to restore it. I am one of those fortunate people who saw her when she was working and she was a site to behold. I hope that someone somewhere realises that 18000 was a significant locomotive in our railway history and deserves to be more than

a rotting shell. At least this model will bring back memories of that very loud gas turbine screaming through Didcot.

Whilst it’ll never work again, perhaps model railway technology could come to its rescue…

maybe fit a DCC chip and a very loud speaker to the real thing..

set it up as a DVT and push it using something quiet like an MLV so it blends in the train, despite being pushed by a “coach”.

:D

its far fetched I know, but a museum in Japan did fit an electric heating element to a large tender engine thus replacing the need for a fire, admittedly it only travels “model railway distances” at its home.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/08/2021 at 00:04, adb968008 said:

set it up as a DVT and push it using something quiet like an MLV so it blends in the train, despite being pushed by a “coach”.

Set it up to run as the first car of a 800, then it could run under the wires making as much noise as it wanted!

Luke

• Like 1

On 25/07/2021 at 10:58, dibber25 said:

Having been inside it, there is nothing whatever inside the body - it could be made into quite a nice meeting room! The worst of the rust or rot, as might be expected, is in the lower sides and the rounded bottom 'edge' has largely disappeared and would need complete replacement with new steel formed to shape. I'm afraid it reminds my of my 1960 Hillman Minx - Rootes Rot - from which there was no recovery. But 18000 was made from rather thicker metal. I'm afraid, unless someone comes along with cash and manpower 18000 will quietly rust away. (CJL)

This will be of interest

https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/product.php/78/going-loco?fbclid=IwAR2uAs7k4mBjRSvJAjDNhgAyvIcLyZ-DoLZgdbYoP36sCoZpPM6IwvSDO6s

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
On 12/08/2021 at 22:49, luke_stevens said:

Set it up to run as the first car of a 800, then it could run under the wires making as much noise as it wanted!

Luke

And listen to the loud crunching noises every time it comes to a station platform - there wouldn't be much of it left by the time it got to Reading ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

And listen to the loud crunching noises every time it comes to a station platform - there wouldn't be much of it left by the time it got to Reading ;)

Then send a Duchess or a King through first to "ensure" the platforms were in gauge!

Luke

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

https://railsofsheffield.com/blogs/news/18000-gas-turbine

18000 GAS TURBINE

Posted by Oliver Davies on August 23, 2021

Exclusive 18000 Gas Turbine "Kerosene Castle" docks at Rotterdam!

We are pleased to report our exclusive Heljan Class 18000 Gas Turbine Locomotives have docked at Rotterdam and will be arriving at Heljan HQ in the next couple of days.

Once at Heljan they will go through the Quality Control process before being forwarded onto us.

Delivery to Rails is expected at the beginning of September

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know if there is any details of the sound option.

Earlier in the topic it was speculated that it might be an ESU V5.

There is nothing that I can find on the Rails site. The sound option description is very limited and what there is not very accurate.

It says that there are two speakers, a sugar cube in the loco and a bass reflex in the tender.

Does Rails know something about the Kerosene Castle that every one else has missed!

Is the sound option a LegoManBiffo production, they certainly are doing one according to Charlie’s at DCkits posts.

Heljan say they were not involved in the sound set-up.

Rails say that the sound option will be factory fitted, does that mean in China, or are Heljan doing it in Denmark, or at Rails factory!, this only matters as it may mean that the sound fitted models may be delayed after the DC ones are released.

I think that there was possibly more on Rails old website but nothing I can find on the new one.

Happy to wait for the model to arrive in the next couple of weeks provided it passes QA at Heljan.

10 hours ago, TheEngineShed said:

That is good to know, Rails is currently sold out of the sound fitted option...

Away back on screen 2 I posted a video of a sound project by www.wheeltappersdccsounds.co.uk. I liked that sound, not least because it reminded me of the Vickers Viscount. I have ordered a Rails sound version but, going by videos of it, I wonder if I will like that sound quite as much. Time will tell, I suppose. Videos of both projects are available here so you can choose for yourself.