Rails Announce OO 18000 Gas Turbine Locomotive

Oliver Rails

Mine arrived about an hour ago , ran fine on my test track but when I put it on the layout which is third radius it came to standstill on each curve . Removed the body and it ran just fine so the body is fouling the bogies.  The instructions say will run comfortably on third radius, the Rails website makes no mention. My track is Peco code 100 streamline . Tried on Peco setrack 3rd radius, too tight .

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Mine arrived this morning and is currently being run in. Nice model, remember it from my school days in Bath, watching from the music room. No wonder I'm no good at music!!! My question regards the accessory pack which contains items which I have no idea where to fit, any suggestions? Similarly is the fitting of the train reporting numbers, they are magnetic but how are they fitted? Any help would be appreciated.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, North Devonian said:

Mine arrived about an hour ago , ran fine on my test track but when I put it on the layout which is third radius it came to standstill on each curve . Removed the body and it ran just fine so the body is fouling the bogies.  The instructions say will run comfortably on third radius, the Rails website makes no mention. My track is Peco code 100 streamline . Tried on Peco setrack 3rd radius, too tight .

That sounds a bit worrying…..

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

I had a look at my model this afternoon and its got plenty of space for a speaker upgrade, the standard speaker is an old iPhone speaker by the look of it

IMG_5363.jpg.df1454f7b905ba944b9e76a6b84fae53.jpg

I took that out and connected two small megabass speakers to the plug and fitted 1 under each bogie, its much better now, the speakers are also in a better position over the openings for the bogies

IMG_5361.jpg.ef40038037314f2d4804666e7f2ea402.jpgIMG_5376.jpg.b378c1547b44e994ab101df31bcf50a5.jpgIMG_5377.jpg.630b489ab6e34cf7add45fca058069d3.jpg

Take care when positioning the speakers that they don't get in the way of the screw holes, along with the wires which all need to be taped out of the way of the screws.

I'll make the upgrade available on my website and eBay so thats its plug and play, with the speakers already soldered to a plug, I will post links when I've done it for anyone interested.

Richard

So what was the ohm rating of the original speaker, did you test/measure it?

Are the replacements wired parallel or series?

Amazing the amount of space inside that model, very reassuring.

3 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

I'll make the upgrade available on my website and eBay so thats its plug and play, with the speakers already soldered to a plug, I will post links when I've done it for anyone interested.

Richard

Ordered as soon as I got the e-mail. Bet they arrive before my sound fitted 18000 does:)

Luke

• RMweb Gold

So prompted by earlier mention of which radius curves the loco would comfortably accommodate. And I do confess that I missed the 3rd radius notes in the user guide - I popped into the garage to test the loco on my fiddle yard helix which uses 3rd and 4th radius curves. There is a bit of an art to placing the bogies on the track correctly and I’d not noticed the bogie frame and wheels have some extra sideways motion which takes a bit of getting used to. That aside the loco did perform as expected running up and down on both running lines of the helix. 

I also tested it on my sons set track table track first and found the loco does not like double second radius curves and comes to a complete halt. I’d had known that had I read the manual properly I know.  I’ll hopefully do some load testing on the helix in the coming days with the loco now that it’s run in..

cheers Peter

E248E3D9-7A53-4C6E-9C01-5AB6E898C1DC.jpeg

F3523CDB-7DB0-49B9-BEA4-6BCD3026E1C1.jpeg

Edited by Pedro32
Typos
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Two very quick vids from the helix:

I’ll stop rambling on and look forwards to hearing other members views in due course.

best Peter

Edited by Pedro32
Typos
  • Like 2

On 04/10/2021 at 09:42, 7013 said:

If you buy a legomanbiffo chip from DC Kits you have a choice, however they are supplying the chips to Rails, but I dont know what type of speaker Rails are using. I have ordered my sound chip from Legomanbiffo with twin iphone speakers as I have used them before and they are very good. However I will be looking to see if there are other speaker options that will fit, I am hoping there will be room to insert a speaker with a decent bass note. I will see what Richard at Road and Rails comes up with.

The decoders for the Rails 18000 and KR Models are in stock an available now. 

See the link: https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=1873 

The demo models shown feature both 20X20X7 & 25X25X7 Mini Bass Speakers @ £2.50 Each extra, the 18000 has 2 X 20X20X7 Speakers which sound OK.

We were had on our Demo Sound stand at the Great Electric Train Show both models last weekend, they must have been ok as we sold some decoders !!!!!  Charlie

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 3

Mine arrived today and have just test run on my DC layout, SMP track and hand built point work, seems hesitant in places and stalled completely on a live frog crossover, where even my 2 axle 4 wheel locos have no problem, there appear to be no pickups on the centre wheels of the bogies, and no instructions for fitting the detail parts, a little disappointing on a nearly £200 pound loco. But the head code is a pleasant surprise and maybe the running will improve after the running in period.

Edited by bubbles2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, bubbles2 said:

Mine arrived today and have just test run on my DC layout, SMP track and hand built point work, seems hesitant in places and stalled completely on a live frog crossover, where even my 2 axle 4 wheel locos have no problem, there appear to be no pickups on the centre wheels of the bogies, and no instructions for fitting the detail parts, a little disappointing on a nearly £200 pound loco. But the head code is a pleasant surprise and maybe the running will improve after the running in period.

Back to backs?

23 hours ago, North Devonian said:

Same here - refuses to run around 3rd radius and it's clear the body prevents adequate movement of the bogies.  4th radius and above fine.  Rang Rails and am returning the loco for a full refund - no quibble from Rails, so great service there. Shame, as it's a stunning model.

Edited by RichRG7
correcting punctuation
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

Hi, the original is 8 ohms, the replacement is 2 8 ohm  in parallel, to give 4 ohms (you can use either on a loksound 5)

I’m selling them as a plug in replacement, already wired and ready to go

https://www.roads-and-rails.co.uk/collections/recently-added/products/rails-of-sheffield-dcc-sound-18000-gas-turbine-dcc-loco-speaker-upgrade-plug-and-play-no-soldering-required

Thanks Richard, looking at the space within the model I will wait and see (hear!) what the OEM speakers sound like and maybe then investigate replacing with one or a couple of my collected weird speakers I have accumulated from phones, laptops etc.

I’ve got a couple of Sony laptop speaker sets which work in conjunction with a base enclosed speaker, but it’ll only fit in a 7mm diesel as it’s about six inches long and an inch deep!  :D

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, RichRG7 said:

Same here - refuses to run around 3rd radius and it's clear the body prevents adequate movement of the bogies.  4th radius and above fine.  Rang Rails and am returning the loco for a full refund - no quibble from Rails, so great service there. Shame, as it's a stunning model.

Now that is worrying and maybe Rails should have put a notice on their ordering page to advise / pre-warn  customers.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Take care when positioning the speakers that they don't get in the way of the screw holes, along with the wires which all need to be taped out of the way of the screws.

Hi Richard

The speakers look as if they are attached to the underside of the circuit board and sit above the bogies. What did you attach them with?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Now that is worrying and maybe Rails should have put a notice on their ordering page to advise / pre-warn  customers.

And this is an issue that has in fact occurred previously with Heljan as I recall. Those of you who  have a DP 2  diesel might recall problems with relatively low slung bogies fouling bodywork on curves ? 

• Informative/Useful 2

Well mine arrived yesterday and pleased to say running is fine after running in on some rollers on DC. Copes with my curves and point work OK but it a bit of a pain getting all wheels on the track. I have fitted a chip and headlights / taillights work fine but no sign of the cab lights or engine room lights. Pretty sure these were not evident on DC either. I am using a Zimo MX638D decoder and all the dip switches are on. 
Agree with the comments about detail parts with no info.

Trev

• RMweb Premium

Have been running mine in gently, looks stunning, but some of the bag o’ bits are a bit guesswork and will stay in the bag. All lights working well, just need my sound chip and speakers to bring it to life now.

Picked mine up on Sunday running on DC no problem, all lights work. Re the loose parts there is no info but, 4 footsteps that go in the holes below driver doors, 4 brake rods ,there are fitting holes on the bogie ends as far as I can see the rods with a bend go on the outer end of the bogies. 

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
On 09/10/2021 at 13:58, gwrrob said:

I’m not sure what actual radius in mm or inches that 3rd or 4th refers to however, mine has run quite happily around the 30” in my hidden sidings.

I have a much tighter - roughly 24” radius - hidden section which will eventually lead to a pair of hidden sidings for the china clay trains. This is also on a gradient and usually the preserve of panniers and clay wagons. Out of curiosity I ran 18000 around that. I did this several times with no problem. I’m not sure what this actually means @gwrrob but I wouldn’t worry just yet.

• Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

My Model arrived today. I so far have not had found an defects on it, but I do wonder how long before the whistle gose missing as it seams to be a weak point being made of plastic.

It is currently on the rolling road have time to run in. And before anybody as I purchased the "Gauge-master" controller from a boot sale very cheap, as I have no layout to run the model on it is the best thing in my situation.

It is a late birthday present to my self.

Terry.    

P1020607 (2).JPG

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 08/10/2021 at 15:21, Richard Croft said:

Yeah he had a sample of the model and sorted all that out, his sound is also in the factory fitted models. As far as I know there's no alternative to that sound at the moment, it sounds very good.

Richard

Thank you, that is very informative and intriguing. I did post links to two sound versions which did sound different but that could be due to the recordings themselves, especially as one included high speed running. I have just received an e-mail telling me that my sound version has been sent. Exciting!