Rails Announce OO 18000 Gas Turbine Locomotive

Oliver Rails

22 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Very nice too @bubbles2 can you tell us the source of your figures please.

Preiser, 3.5mm  HO scale, I find the slightly smaller size of the figures fit more easily into 4mm scale interiors, the figures are not designed to be loco crew of course so I carve the hats into caps and paint them to suit. The original set I bought many years ago at Birmingham’s Warley exhibition, realising I was running out of suitable figures to turn into loco crew last month I found the same set second hand on EBay, I’m not sure they are still available new.

The last picture shows the other cab interior for 18000 beside the cab interior for D600, I fit a crew to both ends of twin cab locos, which could travel in either direction of course.

59C68F4A-D974-4F50-A38C-C486DDD6B50A.jpeg

16B85B2D-3020-4EEB-A0FC-430EE477B0BD.jpeg

D4D8089F-F373-451C-8EA7-A84566F97721.jpeg

14A21826-9CF4-41D8-8EBD-E9465F90CCA1.jpeg

DFF8002B-B277-4BE3-8E27-36FE2F0C220A.jpeg

99A4D496-33E0-4AD4-8EB2-04F0DCA10657.jpeg

F484FB4A-A159-4DCC-96B9-5F206D58FD4E.jpeg

Edited by bubbles2
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/10/2021 at 15:40, dibber25 said:

Continuing the thread creep, I always laughed at the election posters for our local MP of the time, Geoffrey Pattie, which proclaimed "Meet Pattie!" It reminded me of McDonalds and I thought they should do a similar one for Ed Balls! (CJL)

When we lived in Kent, there were regular election posters for a chap rejoicing in the name of Dick Bond, which sounded like a substance held in A&E for a very specific sort of injury...

• Funny 7

5 hours ago, bubbles2 said:

Preiser, 3.5mm  HO scale,

<snip> I’m not sure they are still available new.</snip>

I have a pack on the desk in front of me :)

Now available as Preiser 16328:

Gaugemaster (but out of stock)

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/preiser-pr16328.html

Modellbahnshop-lippe

https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/Physiques/Voyagers/Preiser-16328/gb/modell_49186.html

Not the price difference...

Luke

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

46 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

Modellbahnshop-lippe

https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/Physiques/Voyagers/Preiser-16328/gb/modell_49186.html

Luke

Thanks for that Luke, I can't remember what I paid for the first set at Warley exhibition but I do remember thinking they were expensive, the latest ones from Ebay were a little less than the marked price on the box, by the time the postage was paid probably a little more, they should keep me going for the next 10 years or so. But good to know they are still available.

On 12/11/2019 at 11:59, Oliver Rails said:

gasturbine.jpeg.0058b7ec4b0c9892a82196a3a15a0cd4.jpeg

Rails enters the Jet Age!

Three variants are to be produced:

• BR Gloss Black with Silver Trim (1949-56 Condition)

Please forgive me if already covered:

I think my black & silver liveried model is more of a silk finish than gloss.

Actually prefer this as I think it will better match my other black and silver liveried locos, namely LMS 10000 + 10001 / 10201 / 26020 / 27000. 

There are a few more with same liveries) in the pipeline (pre-ordered), so should all eventually make a fascinating little cavalcade!

Edited by Opelsi
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

Modellbahnshop-lippe

Luke

eBay and the cheapest found within a few minutes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384381678892?epid=2254465337&hash=item597eeef52c:g:P-gAAOSw8N9haLSR

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

With postage that's more expensive than both the other two oprions!

Gaugemaster offer free postage on orders over £25.

Modellbahn Lippe postage woykc bd around €4 for this weight and will take off VAT for UK. Theoretical you'd have VAT recharged on UK arrival but HMG isn't charging that at the moment...

Luke

Well great news folks I now have cab lights working at both ends, how?

you need to remove tanks, battery case between the bogies 2X screws and the then four screws, one in each corner and then you need to look for two brass coloured ends (the ones that look like the end of a biro pen, if this sense and what you may find is one of them is stiff and just have to free it.

hope this helps.

callum

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Informative/Useful 2

56 minutes ago, Steam here! said:

Well great news folks I now have cab lights working at both ends, how?

you need to remove tanks, battery case between the bogies 2X screws and the then four screws, one in each corner and then you need to look for two brass coloured ends (the ones that look like the end of a biro pen, if this sense and what you may find is one of them is stiff and just have to free it.

hope this helps.

callum

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thank you, it does help. However, I don’t like both cab lights coming on and going out at exactly the same time and I’ll be insulating the contact points for the rear cab. Directional cab lights would have been better and individually switched cab lights better yet.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

With postage that's more expensive than both the other two oprions!

Gaugemaster offer free postage on orders over £25.

Modellbahn Lippe postage woykc bd around €4 for this weight and will take off VAT for UK. Theoretical you'd have VAT recharged on UK arrival but HMG isn't charging that at the moment...

Luke

In theory ;) 

But £16.72 plus £6.72…….still looks cheaper to me, what did I miss?

The modelbahn shoppe place I think you have to have an account with them I believe, I had seen their low prices before but when trying to order it all seemed a bit long winded and just not easy.

Gaugemaster was OOS that’s why I put in the item that was in stock.

Anyway I am still using mine presently, about half way through them now…..I think I bought them about two years ago in preparation for my layout.

Edited by boxbrownie

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

Thank you, it does help. However, I don’t like both cab lights coming on and going out at exactly the same time and I’ll be insulating the contact points for the rear cab. Directional cab lights would have been better and individually switched cab lights better yet.

Hi No Decorum sorry what I meant was directional cab lights (only one cab will light  up when is going in one direction).

In Forward direction.image.jpg.c05b1e81b082dee2b908c986512a8216.jpg

On 15/10/2021 at 11:08, The Stationmaster said:

The matter of head and tail lamps on the gas turbines is another area which probably needs some explanation.  First, like the diesel railcars, whenever 18000 and 18100 were required to have a red light at the rear (i.e. when running light engine) they had to carry an 'ordinary' oil tail lamp which needed to be alight at the usual times such lamps were required to be lit.  Under the 1949 Instruction during daylight the loco was required to carry white headcode discs indicating the class of train which it was working and the electric headcode lights were only used when the train would have been required to carry lit head lights.  In the event of a failure of the electric headlights ordinary oil head lamps were to be used instead.

There are pictures of 18000 carrying headcode discs, obviously on the lamp brackets, and some pictures of it carrying oil head lamps but noticeably there are pictures of it throughout its working life with headcode discs.  18100 on the other hand appears from photos to have carried oil head lamps for the latter part of its WR working life and there are very few pictures of it with headcode discs.  As CJL had access to numerous photos he might like to add to the impression given by the photos in Kevin Roberttson's book.

Both locos however, according to photos,  always appeared with an oil tail lamp when working light - exactly as they were required to do.

The head code discs look small. Presumably they were something the WR didn't normally have and must have been produced specially, as other region's discs wouldn't fit the GWR lamp irons? The discs are pretty much the only detail not provided with the model. I don't have a huge number of pictures - maybe a dozen, taken at different times - and from memory, only a couple show 18000 carrying discs. It would be interesting to know the trains indicated by the head code numbers - 450 and 455 being the most common, it seems, and 142 when the loco was in the late green livery. I'm waiting delivery of a copy of the Robertson book as I didn't buy it on publication because I had already done, and published, my own research. (CJL)

• Informative/Useful 1

Here is mine alongside the version I have been running for about twenty years and is getting a bit tired, It really needs a new power unit but I cannot be bothered as I have too many other projects. The Rails/Heljan released solved the problem. Do I scrap my original or renumber 18001?

My Silver Fox 18100 alongside. I put a lot of work in detailing the body and bogies. It runs fine and I have no plans to replace it.

2050157021_18000cl.JPG.2725e1294c86d2363e0a3169f9551629.JPG1039459059_18000bl.JPG.aa9aadda739393ec6eabc73a1e9d7739.JPG18000a.JPG.df5dea4fe4818e9e7555c76b8c3e4009.JPG

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

The modelbahn shoppe place I think you have to have an account with them I believe, I had seen their low prices before but when trying to order it all seemed a bit long winded and just not easy.

I've never had anything less than a positive experience with Modellbahn Lippe. It's always been clear if something is in stock or not. And their customer service is great: at one point I was sent the wrong type of brass fencing. I pointed it out, they were very apologetic and 48hr later the correct one turned up without charge :).

In my opinion they have a better in-stock range, better customer service, quicker delivery and are better value than certain UK based retailers.

Luke

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

I've never had anything less than a positive experience with Modellbahn Lippe. It's always been clear if something is in stock or not. And their customer service is great: at one point I was sent the wrong type of brass fencing. I pointed it out, they were very apologetic and 48hr later the correct one turned up without charge :).

In my opinion they have a better in-stock range, better customer service, quicker delivery and are better value than certain UK based retailers.

Luke

Do you not have to have an account with them now?

And I never said they were a bad retailer….at all.

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Gold

And my black & silver version has just arrived as promised via Parcelforce . Beautiful,heavy and intact. It will be a little while hence ere it tales to the metals as I have another matter to attend to soon. Never mind that…I’d like to pay tribute here to the sympathetic and understanding  manner in which they and their staff responded to my situation ensuring that the model was sent when I was eventually at home to receive it. Thanks to them and to you all for your kind wishes. It is much appreciated.    Ian.

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

I've had to send mine back for repairs. I don't see why I should take it apart to fix it!

The pick ups are so bad it will not run on sound and is too jerky off sound to pull coaches without derailing them

I can only assume only 1 wheel has a working contact!

My only other item this bad is my 5-BEL and it only has 2 wheel pick ups and has run for ages without cleaning!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Thats unfortunate reddragon, it always leaves a bitter taste if your model is one of the very few that has a problem. When it is running properly it runs very well, and the sound is superb. I am sure Rails will sort it out for you and you will be enjoying 18000 quite soon.

1 hour ago, reddragon said:

I've had to send mine back for repairs. I don't see why I should take it apart to fix it!

Mine also had one pickup that had been fitted so badly that one of the pickup's  'wipers' had ridden over the wheel flange instead of contacting the back of it! 

A very quick visual inspection by whoever fitted the sound chip (at Rails) should have spotted this as it was so obvious and it could have been fixed before sending resulting in a happier customer.

After some umming and ahing I decided to strip the offending bogie down and fix it myself as everything else on the model was intact. Whistles, lamp brackets etc. I reasoned that knowing my luck, it may come back worse than I'd received it if it went back.

Having made my decision, I completely understand yours reddragon. I hope they fix it for you! 

6 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Do you not have to have an account with them now?

And I never said they were a bad retailer….at all.

I have had an account from the very start. Why wouldn't I? Without an account I can't pre-order items and then I miss out.

I took your "long winded and not easy" to be a criticism of them and their website / process.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

Lukr

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

I have had an account from the very start. Why wouldn't I? Without an account I can't pre-order items and then I miss out.

I took your "long winded and not easy" to be a criticism of them and their website / process.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

Lukr

No problem, I seem to remember way back when I tried starting an account meant they wanted your credit/bank card details to keep on record, which is what put me off TBH……I have an “account” with both RoS and Hattons and they require nothing more than your address and details on record.

If they have changed I might take another look.