Rails Announce OO 18000 Gas Turbine Locomotive

Oliver Rails

37 minutes ago, rembrow said:

Very extreme and clearly he failed in his original attempt to retain and use the cut off skirts. I have made mine R3 compatible by filing down the depth of the bogie side frames, on the inside face. I don't claim credit for this, I drew on another RM Web poster who had performed this. So although the bogie side frames can't turn any further, it gives extra width for the inner wheel bogie to turn further. I was able to get good access to the inside of the bogie side frames, by removing the body, which allows the side frames to turn further, giving a longer filing stroke. This won't achieve R2 ability, but works for R3 and leaves the side profile unaffected.

Precisely what I had in mind to do - when I receive mine on Christmas Day!

Thank you for confirming that the theory works in practice.

CJI.

On 20/11/2021 at 15:25, Steamport Southport said:

They said the same about APT-E and Deltic.

Besides it's made by Heljan, they always re-run things. "Can't sell LNER O2s and railbuses? Okay we'll make more"....

It's not a case of if there's another run but when.

Jason

I take your point but 18000 is a Rails product. Any decision to rerun it will be theirs, not Heljan's. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

I have just received my "Kerosene Castle" from Rails, beautifully packed and with lots of extras to be fitted -but where, especially the silver ones?  I have sked Rails but they said they no injformation sheet at the moment and suggested that I should trying asking roundon the Website:  So, can anyone out there help me!

Many thanks.  Geoff Bird

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I've just been doing a spot of delving into something completely unconnected with 18000 but came across some references to it and I see that it was banned from the most tightly curved platforms at Paddington and it also appears to have been banned from bay platforms throughout the London Division.

Where would that info be documented - Sectional Appendix?  As it was a novel technology presumably only a small handful of the drivers would be driving it anyway.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Where would that info be documented - Sectional Appendix?  As it was a novel technology presumably only a small handful of the drivers would be driving it anyway.

I don't think that GWR/WR engine/i.c. loco Route Availability in specific detail ever appeared in a Sectional Appendix in older days - apart from some stuff published in the General Appendix (which on the GWR also included some route specific information).  Previously it was basically a Service Timetable/WTT matter for route/location specific stuff until it was transferred into the Route Availability booklets in, I presume. the early 1960s.  t was definitely still in WTTs as late as 1959 and it wasn't in any Sectional Appendix.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I've just been doing a spot of delving into something completely unconnected with 18000 but came across some references to it and I see that it was banned from the most tightly curved platforms at Paddington and it also appears to have been banned from bay platforms throughout the London Division.

Well at least it wasn’t just owners of 2nd radius curves who had issues :D

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

I have just received my "Kerosene Castle" from Rails, beautifully packed and with lots of extras to be fitted -but where, especially the silver ones?  I have sked Rails but they said they no injformation sheet at the moment and suggested that I should trying asking roundon the Website:  So, can anyone out there help me!

Many thanks.  Geoff Bird

There is a post a couple of pages back which appears to be a comprehensive guide. Have not tried it myself yet but it is where I will start.

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

There is a post a couple of pages back which appears to be a comprehensive guide. Have not tried it myself yet but it is where I will start.

I hope you are not referring to the guy who cut the body freehand.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, 61661 said:

I take your point but 18000 is a Rails product. Any decision to rerun it will be theirs, not Heljan's. 

Will spares go via Gaugemaster ?

i’m interested to do try some tweaks of my own, but want to try on spare parts rather than the original.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Pteremy said:

2 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I hope you are not referring to the guy who cut the body freehand.

This one:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Will spares go via Gaugemaster ?

i’m interested to do try some tweaks of my own, but want to try on spare parts rather than the original.

Spares will be sent to Rails when they are available. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Pteremy said:

Yes, found it thanks.  I also contacted Heljan UK and they said:-

"U-shaped steps - these fit into holes under each cab door (they should have been factory fitted but were left off at late notice, hence why they are not mentioned in the instruction sheet)

Train indicator - this is an etched frame and magnetic numbers for train head codes. We leave it up to the customer to decide how to fit this as it is a permanent modification requiring either holes to be made in the front or strong glue to attach it. We did not wish to leave obvious locating holes in the front for the frame as not everyone will want to fit it. 

Brake rigging - the are some brake rigging parts for the bogies but these are only to be fitted on display models as they interfere with bogie rotation. "

I am just about to fit the train reporting numbers - I have chosen "450", as this was one of its regular duties, namely the 7.a.m from Weston super Mare which it would have taken over at Bristol Temple Meads, leaving there at 7.15.a.m.

Unlike 18100, I haven`t seen photos of it with either the "Bristolian" or "Merchant Venturer" headboard.  Unless someone knows better.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/11/2021 at 09:41, GeoffBird said:

Unlike 18100, I haven`t seen photos of it with either the "Bristolian" or "Merchant Venturer" headboard.  Unless someone knows better.

Me too as I was hoping to find a photo shewing the down Mayflower or similar.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Mike @The Stationmaster assures me it got to Plymouth on more than one occasion.;)

From 22 May 1950 its regular diagram was down on the 15.30 ex Paddington then return the next day on the 07.15 ex Plymouth. (presumably either SX or M-S).  But on 5 june it was failed at a booked exam.  but went back to its previous diagram on 9 june but was taken off that diagram for test runs on 12 June.  However it subsequently failed at Newton Abbot while working an Up train on 13 June due to what was later established to be a damaged traction motor.  this led to it being taken off West of England work for wj hle but it went back to a Paddington - Plymouth diagram on 28 August. It carried on working pn the Plymouth route into December interspersed with works visits and occasional problems.

The loco spent a lot of 19521 in works and on test workings but did some Plymouth work in December but from 1952 it spent most of its time in traffic on Paddington =Bristol turns although it worked at least one turn from Paddington to Plymouth & return in September that year.

Information from Kevin Robertson's excellent book about the Western gas turbines.

BTW 'The Mayflower was not introduced until the 1957 Summer Timetable so is highly unlikely to have ever been worked by 18000 which by then had long been reduced to only three working traction motors and was effectively restricted to lighter loads although it had a fairly successful year in 1957.

• Informative/Useful 7

Does anyone know what would be an appropriate match for the lining on the green versions? That is, if you wanted to add the very fine lining on the lower cab front that has not been reproduced. I wonder if Fox Transfers Old Gold/Burnt Ochre might be right, but it is difficult to tell with online images rather than seeing the product in the flesh. 

On 26/11/2021 at 19:31, Pteremy said:

Does anyone know what would be an appropriate match for the lining on the green versions? That is, if you wanted to add the very fine lining on the lower cab front that has not been reproduced. I wonder if Fox Transfers Old Gold/Burnt Ochre might be right, but it is difficult to tell with online images rather than seeing the product in the flesh. 

I know that Steve at Railtec Transfers (See the 'Smaller Suppliers' thread) is brilliant at making bespoke items. He has done unusual requests for me in the past (for example a "Filey Holiday Camp" DMU destination decal).

I am sure he would engage with you to find a solution if you are struggling, though he may need to see your model in order to match exactly.

Always found his service first rate, efficient/reliable/fast! 

Hope this helps!

• Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

If Railtec can provide this, I would be happy to buy a set.

In terms of design and print it's probably very low hanging fruit. But - I would need to be explicitly guided. For example:

- N qty lengths of lining, xx mm long and yy mm thick. I don't have a gas turbine model here so I would really need this exact info.

- A pretty good representation of the colour that is needed.

Steve

• Like 1