Rails Announce OO 18000 Gas Turbine Locomotive

Oliver Rails

• RMweb Premium

The chap said ‘It’s something that will surprise you ‘ intriguing? But it is great to know that all these pioneering locos are being built as models. Thankfully, we rarely hear, not my era, not my region , nothing for me etc. I believe many people now take the attitude, if it’s good I will find a place for it on my layout.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

If you buy a legomanbiffo chip from DC Kits you have a choice, however they are supplying the chips to Rails, but I dont know what type of speaker Rails are using. I have ordered my sound chip from Legomanbiffo with twin iphone speakers as I have used them before and they are very good. However I will be looking to see if there are other speaker options that will fit, I am hoping there will be room to insert a speaker with a decent bass note. I will see what Richard at Road and Rails comes up with.

Edited by 7013
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 7013 said:

<snip> I am hoping there will be room to insert a speaker with a decent bass note. I will see what Richard at Road and Rails comes up with.

That's pretty much what I am planning to do to.

Luke

Edited by luke_stevens
Tighten

14 minutes ago, Brian Hawkins said:

'Has anyone recieved thier 18000 from Rails yet ?

No, not yet.  My father has one on order and he has just rung to say that the postie was coming, then that the postie carried on walking past his house without calling!!  Now trying to tell my Dad that it will come when it comes!!!  Reminds me of when he used to tell me Christmas wasn't for another week and to go back to sleep!!  Bit of a role reversal! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Pedro32 said:

Mine was dropped off by the postie this afternoon. It has a definite weight to it! The magnetic head code frame is a lovely touch. Plan to run it in and fit a decoder and see how things go. Very impressed so far.

cheers Peter

FC6046C1-2387-4692-9B56-27B7C0E1B9DD.jpeg

DB7D5E28-4FE9-4EA5-B328-FF564B2DA0C9.jpeg

BFA2027C-B0F1-48D6-8F2A-73D604F4C824.jpeg

Good news, thanks for the photos. Hoping mine won't be far behind.

Looking at the model from above it's just struck me that there's a remarkable resemblance to the LT loco Sarah Siddons. I can't get that out of my head now!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Pedro32 said:

Mine was dropped off by the postie this afternoon. It has a definite weight to it! The magnetic head code frame is a lovely touch. Plan to run it in and fit a decoder and see how things go. Very impressed so far.

cheers Peter

812519C4-0FCF-484B-A9BD-C076688627AE.jpeg

92080A15-58EC-4DE8-BB9F-1915633D2ECD.jpeg

66F7D56F-8C45-4212-81D2-B546F5FDA697.jpeg

Come on @Pedro32 the suspense is killing me. What's the running quality out of the box like ?

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Come on @Pedro32 the suspense is killing me. What's the running quality out of the box like ?

I thought for a minute you were asking about the running quality of the box:scratchhead:   However if it is anything like the GW railcar 'straight out of the box' the running will be good judging by both mine and all the reports I've heard.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Sorry my intended test run session last night didn’t happen. Having weighed the loco it’s a mighty 525g

I do plan to test it in my lunch break. 

580E595F-4996-4CB8-9C74-74CF47F632EE.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

So far as running straight out of the box, I’ve found the loco to be very consistent at a number of speed settings on my analogue test bench. Slight squeak in one direction, but it’s now reducing with the more running in its doing. I’m very impressed overall in that much like the 33’s I adore they are also very reliable. 

Once I’ve fitted a dcc decoder I’m sure it will be even better. Lighting looks good in my view.

no doubt others will post their views in due course.

cheers Peter

1A33A9CF-A216-4EEC-AABC-7B583D74871C.jpeg

E2CBD371-AAAD-4DE6-A91F-87C76E2A3E55.jpeg

6410854A-F054-4861-8C3E-FF1C1465B782.jpeg

85FE6E46-F85E-4FD7-8E4B-B140CBF9117D.jpeg

Edited by Pedro32
Typo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I was billed for a sound version last Saturday so I guess that Rails are billing based on order date and not distinguishing between sound and non-sound versions.

Are the models actually in stock yet, there appears to be only one member that has received one and Rails web site is still showing all versions as pre-orderable. Have Rails just shipped a few production samples and the bulk are still on route from Heljan.

Additionally once you have been billed the pre-order page on the website is still showing the outstanding balance, I would have thought that once payment has been taken then the order should move from pre-order to orders.

• RMweb Premium

Well, my money went out over a week ago. However, at GETS Oliver said they would start shipping this week. Given they had a lot of staff there, I imagine they are taking a little time to get sorted after a busy weekend.

• Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, Bob83a said:

I was billed for a sound version last Saturday so I guess that Rails are billing based on order date and not distinguishing between sound and non-sound versions.

Are the models actually in stock yet, there appears to be only one member that has received one and Rails web site is still showing all versions as pre-orderable. Have Rails just shipped a few production samples and the bulk are still on route from Heljan.

Additionally once you have been billed the pre-order page on the website is still showing the outstanding balance, I would have thought that once payment has been taken then the order should move from pre-order to orders.

I spoke to Rails yesterday about the pre order final payment not showing against the on line order and apparently it's due to the transfer of pre orders from the old to new on.line systems. The old orders cannot be changed for us to see, but Rails internal system does record the payment. They advised, without asking, that they are not changing the product status from pre order yet, to avoid new orders getting priority over pre orders. 

• Informative/Useful 2

14 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

The sound is by Wheeltappers who’s away at the moment, I was prepared with a sound decoder to go in mine, knowing he’d be away when the model arrived! But my plan was ruined when someone ordered the decoder and I had to send them mine!  I’ll stick a generic gas turbine sound from ESU in it to test it I think and have a look at speakers anyway, I’ll put the right sound in it when Neil is back on the 12th

Richard

The Wheeltappers sound project comes from before the Rails model – presumably it was for the Silver Fox one. Do you know if it will be adapted to control all the lighting functions on the Rails version?