Rails Announce OO 18000 Gas Turbine Locomotive

Oliver Rails

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

No problem, I seem to remember way back when I tried starting an account meant they wanted your credit/bank card details to keep on record, which is what put me off TBH……I have an “account” with both RoS and Hattons and they require nothing more than your address and details on record.

If they have changed I might take another look.

I don't remember. My first purchase was several years ago and I think I would have ordered something in stock so they would have had my payment details. I think I've done payment via PayPal recently so they wouldn't have access to recent payment info...

Luke

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

:(

Well, not good news. I received my 18000 today, but one of the screws to hold the underside tank moulding has had the head broken off and left the stub in situ. It's tight enough that I can't budge it and don't have a suitable tool (not even sure what I'd need) to try and get a bite on the stub to turn it to remove it, or to drill it out. So it looks like it's going to have to go back.

Annoyingly it runs quite well (albeit I could only test on DC as I don't have my PC set up with JMRI at the moment), once I'd eased the contacts out to get better contact with the wheels.

Bummer.

• Friendly/supportive 5

Well I got mine today. Looks beautiful but already one of the lamp irons has pinged off to make friends with the floor. It runs fine in DC but in DCC no lights or sounds apart from the brake squeal. Anyone else have the same problem? It came with the factory fitted sound card. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I've been thinking (dangerous, I know :crazy: )

As it's a good runner I am of a mind to keep my current loco rather than send it back. My reasoning is that the other screw for the bottom moulding is loose in its thread, and I remember reading someone else here had the same issue. If that's the case then it's not impossible that any replacement will also have loose screws so I'll need to remedy them anyway. I think I should be able to drill out the existing stub. I'm not sure whether it will leave any thread behind, but I will need to find another way to keep the moulding attached anyway so that's arguably a non-issue.

However, all this demonstrates that quality control is at issue again.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 70E said:

Having spoken to Rails they are fitting the sound decoders themselves in order of placement of order hence any delay in getting them out to customers. Hopefully, mine will arrive soon.

If that's the case a large number of people must have ordered on the  first day that Rails announced on here that they were doing the model.

They made the announcement on November 12, 2019 and I placed my order on that day.....and I'm still waiting..... 

Not that I'm particularly worried, my credit card clicks over tomorrow so I won't have to pay for the model until December at the earliest :D.

Keith

29 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

If that's the case a large number of people must have ordered on the  first day that Rails announced on here that they were doing the model.

They made the announcement on November 12, 2019 and I placed my order on that day.....and I'm still waiting..... 

Not that I'm particularly worried, my credit card clicks over tomorrow so I won't have to pay for the model until December at the earliest :D.

Keith

I ordered mine 30th July 20, so no doubt I'll have a loooong wait. I requested the sound up-grade on 5th June 21 which I believe was the day of announcement...

Luke

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

I ordered mine 30th July 20, so no doubt I'll have a loooong wait. I requested the sound up-grade on 5th June 21 which I believe was the day of announcement...

Luke

About the same as me….

2 hours ago, 70E said:

Having spoken to Rails they are fitting the sound decoders themselves in order of placement of order hence any delay in getting them out to customers. Hopefully, mine will arrive soon.

Did they mention whether the order placement order was based on the date of the original DCC ready orders or on the date the sound option was added (announcement of the option 5/6/21 I think).

34 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

Keith

I was charged for the DCC ready and sound upgrade more than 2 weeks ago, before then models were in stock or just after, but no sign of anything arriving yet. So it might be worth checking your credit card account as you may have to pay the bill sooner.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Bob83a said:

Did they mention whether the order placement order was based on the date of the original DCC ready orders or on the date the sound option was added (announcement of the option 5/6/21 I think).

I was charged for the DCC ready and sound upgrade more than 2 weeks ago, before then models were in stock or just after, but no sign of anything arriving yet. So it might be worth checking your credit card account as you may have to pay the bill sooner.

Hi Bob,

Just checked my diary and see that I accepted the sound upgrade on June 5th, the day that it was announced. So both orders for the DCC ready and sound upgrade were placed on the announcement dates.

Have just checked my credit card accounts (which I do on a regular basis) and no sign of any recent charges by Rails - apart from for some Accurascale JSAs and deposits for the 18100 and E1000.

Keith

If my records are correct I ordered mine on 13-11-2019, I ordered the sound upgrade (14-6-2021 i think)

My card was debited a week or 2 ago & 18000 was posted yesterday & the tracking shows it on its way to Heathrow

My last parcel from Rails took 13 days so hopefully it will be here early November, although a parcel from another retailed took 32 days to get to me, so I guess I'll get it when I get it 

John

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John ks said:

My last parcel from Rails took 13 days so hopefully it will be here early November, although a parcel from another retailed took 32 days to get to me, so I guess I'll get it when I get it 

John

I received the dispatch email on the 14th.  Given that several other packages have taken over three weeks so far from another retailer and not yet received,  I am not hopeful of seeing the 18000 for another three or four weeks minimum.

• RMweb Gold

Mine was despatched on 13th. Given that most UK to Victoria Australia parcels are taking 3 to 4 weeks its just another short wait. Hopefully less restrictions in Brisbane John KS should get his before me.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, reddragon said:

What on a brand new model?

Yes. Straight from the factory they often have some form of plating or coating that inhibits conduction. Don't just clean the treads either - make sure you do whichever part the pickups work on too.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

Hi Bob,

Just checked my diary and see that I accepted the sound upgrade on June 5th, the day that it was announced. So both orders for the DCC ready and sound upgrade were placed on the announcement dates.

Have just checked my credit card accounts (which I do on a regular basis) and no sign of any recent charges by Rails - apart from for some Accurascale JSAs and deposits for the 18100 and E1000.

Keith

I ordered the sound option on the day of announcement also, and my card/account was debited two weeks ago.

Not had any notification at all so far.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I ordered the sound option on the day of announcement also, and my card/account was debited two weeks ago.

Not had any notification at all so far.

Same here - except that I have had an email exchange with Rails who assure me that the delay is down to being short staffed to do the fitting and testing. If it means that it is properly tested before despatch I can live with the additional wait.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ian J. said:

I've been thinking (dangerous, I know :crazy: )

As it's a good runner I am of a mind to keep my current loco rather than send it back. My reasoning is that the other screw for the bottom moulding is loose in its thread, and I remember reading someone else here had the same issue. If that's the case then it's not impossible that any replacement will also have loose screws so I'll need to remedy them anyway. I think I should be able to drill out the existing stub. I'm not sure whether it will leave any thread behind, but I will need to find another way to keep the moulding attached anyway so that's arguably a non-issue.

However, all this demonstrates that quality control is at issue again.

Good old black tak!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 20/10/2021 at 21:54, luke_stevens said:

Luke

Just had my "order dispatched" e-mail, so shouldn't be long now...

Luke

• Agree 1