Shawplan

xm607

Has any one managed to contact Shawplan recently, I have tried his phone several times to place an order (Monday, Tuesday, and Friday) with no success, is he still trading?

Edited by xm607
grammar

Although this has been covered many times.

1) Yes he is still trading 

2) Recently received a new window etch in 7mm not mentioned on the website plus nameplate etch on 18th October 

3) Shawplan is a cottage industry and you are better off emailing Brian 

4) If you have tried email then you will have more luck at the shows he visits 

Even if you get someone else to visit next show with your order request 

I am in no way affiliated with Shawplan. Just a happy purchaser.

Just now, xm607 said:

He still will not answer his phone, (various times on the three days} I know he is a one man band but this is just plain stupid!! and Warley is not an excuse ether.

Brian hasn't answered his phone for a while now. He spends the vast majority of his time producing nameplates for Bachmann, Hornby and, when the Deltics arrive, probably Accurascale as well.

As others have already said, email is one method of contact but even this is dependent on the current workload.

He will be at Warley so if you can create a shopping list and, if need be, ask a friend to pass this over he will be more than happy to process your order.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/11/2019 at 15:25, xm607 said:

He still will not answer his phone, (various times on the three days} I know he is a one man band but this is just plain stupid!! and Warley is not an excuse ether.

You might think it is plain stupid.  I disagree.  Knowing how Brian and other "one man band" businesses work, answering telephones doesn't get the work completed very quickly.  

If you are not happy choose an alternative. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Saw Brian at Warley

Can confirm he is still in the land of the living  - and still eating cake!

The comments about his one man business are absolutely correct - shows are by far the best way to trade with him

No connection other than a very happy customer  - who accepts that its well worth making an effort to get his excellent products!

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4

Agree with the above comments.

we will never get the products if Brian spends all His time on the phone.

I have always had an answer when using e.mail and no problems receiving what I require.

I will definitely be at the SECC innFebruary with my shopping list and hopefully get the new GWR Castle Class HST names I require.

• Agree 1

Far be it for me t advocate this, BUT

I also wanted an order from Shawplan, But I employed what my daughter does to me !! If I don't answer when she texts/phones (usually because I'm busy) She keeps sending messages every 10 mins !! enough to really get on my tits so I answer.

I sent Brian an email every day he did answer after 3 days !!! He is a one man band and you really shouldn't have to hassle him, but it worked me

On 29/11/2019 at 10:21, MGR Hooper! said:

I suppose you can do a much better job then?

Yes, delete the telephone No. if your not going to answer it, and reply to emails, I try to within a few days.

Steve.

By the way I have got around using  his etches by fabrication or  making resin castings of what I need!

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, xm607 said:

Yes, delete the telephone No. if your not going to answer it, and reply to emails, I try to within a few days.

Steve.

By the way I have got around using  his etches by fabrication or  making resin castings of what I need!

Now you can start a model railway supply business then and show us all how it should be done?

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

23 minutes ago, xm607 said:

Steve.

I look forward to dealing with your extremely successful business with your quality products and superb response time to customers.

Please do post your catalogue online...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

A few years ago I needed something listed on his site (7mm diesel headcode bits)

I just sent a cheque off and the item required appeared in the post from him a little while after.

If people know what they want maybe try this approach.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh another "Shawplan doesnt answer the phone" thread ... as others have said Brian is alive and well, and Ive spoken to him twice in recent months at exhibitions (Scaleforum and Warley) both times have been great as he is a pleasure to talk to.

Happy customer here as well, so no complaints here, in fact Brian did say he was working on some products, they weren't ready for Warley, but I simply said to him that I understand as he is extremely busy and operates alone most of the time and is working on alot of projects etc

NL

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 30 November 2019 at 13:57, Neverwood said:

Unfortunately, due to age and health, I cannot attend other than very local shows, nor is it easily possible to ask someone to act on my behalf. I am sure this situation is not unique to me.

Northwod.

Why is it not possible to ask someone to act on your behalf?

There are a certain amount of Model Railway exhibitions each year which Brian (Shawplan) attends.

I can't see how hard is it to ask who is going to those exhibitions and email them a shopping list?

Even if you don't know anyone to ask, I have a feeling that certain moderators here will attend all the Major Shows Warley, Doncaster BRM, Scotland SCC. So, why not ask them and enquire at the next show and if what you want is not available I sure they could raise an order for you.

I just don't see what the difficulty is.

• Like 1

That's fine. It would have been clearer if you said that in the first place, so people don't have to try and work out what the issue may be.

I wasn't having a go (sorry if it seemed that way). Just trying to understand the situation and logic which you have kindly explained.

As NickL2008 has previously mentioned  there has been too many repeat posts with regards "Is Shawplan still trading", or "Why doesn't Shawplan answer the phone or my emails". Almost as bad as all the Wishlist posts.

Would it be a good idea if one of the Mods creates a pined post in the Small Suppliers section which remains locked. I don't know if the Forum Software can block any further posts in the future? Then if for example circumstances change for the worst then they can just update the Pined Post/Thread.

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, mikeford2002uk said:

Don't know if its my connection but I'm getting a "Domain name has expired" on Shawplan.com this morning. Note certain if someone is sitting on the domain name as there seems to be an invitation to resubscibe

Mike

Same here Mike - but wont make any judgment on it

• RMweb Premium

I have not had a response since around Christmas on any contact method. When he confirmed that the bits I wanted were on order.

Shawplan email no answer

Phone usual ring out

Private email no answer (not handing it out)

I had emailed a roughly £200 order to him.

I hope he is OK.