00 Gauge Computer Control - with Lenz System

Ben Reed

Hi there,

I have recently decided to restart my layout from scratch, this time around I am looking for a much more complex but refreshing start to the hobby. I am looking for complete automation. Inspired by that of he McKinley Railway layout. I have watched their 'tutorial' style videos on what they use, and have scoured the web for anything else I can find, however I have not had much luck in knowing exactly what I need to purchase or how I go about creating this setup. I'd like to save costs where I can, so I currently have a LZV100 Lenz command system running Version 3.6 - If possible I'd like to keep using this, however I have been informed that it is not compatible with Digitrax' Loconet. In whole what components would I need to purchase from Lenz in order to gain automation to the level of McKinley Railway using TrainController on my PC to make it all work? This includes working signals and a signal table showing the location in LED form of each train and point direction.

I have attached the track plan of my layout to try and give some idea of what I would need to work with its scale, it measures roughly 11.5' square, and being a complete novice to block signalling in this kind, how would i divide the plan to help the computer understand the location of trains? Thank you for any help, as I am completely baffled but excited to learn about this new prospect. TRACK.jpg.a673ae16c1f13df25369ba5d791b17d4.jpg

Regards, Ben. 

You can buy other units that will work with a Lenz system such as LDT however you are quite limited as most manufacturers work with Loconet.

As you have a larger layout a quick cost benefit analysis would suggest that it would be cheaper to change to a Loconet supporting command station such as Z21 (you can retain the use of your Lenz handsets) as you can purchase cheaper peripherals - and a greater variety.

• RMweb Premium

I have a Lenz 100System

All my peripheral modules are RS based devices from LDT.

IMHO they are the best way to automation with a Lenz system.

they are not however compatible with any other system and AFAIK there is no way to convert between one and the other.

The large amount of Loconet compatability out in DCC land is IMHO a sop to the parochial North American market where it dominates.

I also have a Z21 and that has several interfaces but no RS bus which I think was a serious omission by Roco whose previous kit was closely aligned with Lenz

Edited by melmerby
added more information
  • Agree 1

So if I were to change my Lenz controller what are all of the components i would need to purchase to make the system work correctly? Changing to a PC controlled system sees me having no sentimental connection to Lenz so I more than happy to change providing the cost isn't too much greater. 

I have tried to find a diagram to show the connections and components I need to create this system, but with no luck. As said, I am a complete novice at anything other than simple soldering and basic electronics, so finding a system like Loconet if possible where it's more on a plug and play basis would be perfect. 

Cheers for your initial responses guys. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ben

IF You were changing to a non Lenz system, any RS feedback bus devices would have to go, if you had any.

Anything running off the DCC bus would be OK.

If you didn't have any automation devices, just buy new and start from scratch.

33 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I have a Lenz 100System

All my peripheral modules are RS based devices from LDT.

IMHO they are the best way to automation with a Lenz system.

they are not however compatible with any other system and AFAIK there is no way to convert between one and the other.

The large amount of Loconet compatability out in DCC land is IMHO a sop to the parochial North American market where it dominates.

I also have a Z21 and that has several interfaces but no RS bus which I think was a serious omission by Roco whose previous kit was closely aligned with Lenz

keith

Can I ask that if you were starting afresh today would this still be your chosen solution?

I know you have a significant investment in your current systems and most importantly it works, but would you still go this way given the range of equipments and peripherals available now?

as you may recall I was a Lenz man until I entered the automation game and switched due to the paucity and price of available perhiperals compared to LocoNet.

Edited by WIMorrison

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

keith

Can I ask that if you were starting afresh today would this still be your chosen solution?

I know you have a significant investment in your current systems and most importantly it works, but would you still go this way given the range of equipments and peripherals available now?

Hi Iain

I would use a Z21 and buy LDT feedback modules that are compatible. Nearly all my LDT modules were kits.

Quite clearly my set up now is far from ideal as the feedback is Lenz and point control and loco control is from the Z21.

I have tried to see if there is any way to dispose of the Lenz system and still use the RS bus devices but so far to no avail.

I was wondering if a DR 5000 could monitor the RS bus and output on the Loconet?

The alternative would be to replace the LDT RS devices, one by one, with LDT alternatives that have a bus catered for by the Z21

Edited by melmerby
predictive text errors galore

I am fairly certain that the idea of getting the DR5000 to echo the RS bus to LocoNet won’t work (but happy to be corrected by someone). I know that I looked long and hard for something to transceive from RS to LocoNet and failed completely :(

if you wanted to replace the LDT I would go with Digikeijs which (with the exception of the DR5000) I find absolutely superb and very competitively priced - I would recommend Loconet as that has the best global track and most components with good prices and if you want to make your own there are a few people that do kits (Hans de Loof as an example).

but changing will not, IMHO, give you any benefits at this stage whereas Ben is just starting and needs to looks at the component availability now which is different from when I had Lenz and when you started :)

Iain

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I am tied to Lenz (using Rocrail) to control my layout.  The decision to go with Lenz many, many  years ago was probably correct for me at the time and because  I stuck with it when buying block detectors, to migrate now would be very expensive.  Don’t get me wrong, my Lenz equipment is very reliable and more than ‘does the job’ but I worry about their lack of development compared to newer offerings.  If I were starting again I probably would seriously consider other options.

I use the LDT RS 8 occupancy detectors.  They are relatively expensive but so far, touch wood, reliable.

I am just hoping that someone develops or includes an RS ‘sniffer’.

Edited by BoD

• RMweb Gold

Regarding your original post about splitting your layout into blocks....

I’m not sure what information Iain gave you in his PM but might I suggest that if you are going to progress with automation you need to fully understand the ideas behind blocks and routes, irregardless of the software and hardware used.   It would be beneficial to you if you understood these and divided your own plan accordingly.  It would certainly make life easier for you in the future and inform your decision making regarding hardware and software.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BoD said:

I am tied to Lenz (using Rocrail) to control my layout.  The decision to go with Lenz many, many  years ago was probably correct for me at the time and because  I stuck with it when buying block detectors, to migrate now would be very expensive.  Don’t get me wrong, my Lenz equipment is very reliable and more than ‘does the job’ but I worry about their lack of development compared to newer offerings.  If I were starting again I probably would seriously consider other options.

I use the LDT RS 8 occupancy detectors.  They are relatively expensive but so far, touch wood, reliable.

I am just hoping that someone develops or includes an RS ‘sniffer’.

I totally agree with this.

When I bought my DCC system Lenz were definitely the bee's knees.

Digitrax were lagging behind and you got less bangs for your bucks.

However Lenz's development has been glacial and are now way behind in the innovation stakes.

IMHO all the recent developments have been by other European manufacturers. Digitrax is still there, solid & reliable but following, not leading as usual.

If I was starting now it would be Z21 and suitable accessories.

Edited by melmerby