Lenz 0511chips Clarification required.

Norton961

I have a box of new Lenz DCC chips, but I have 2 problems with them:

Firstly I know they are about 10 years old so are there any problems with matching them with modern motors and EMF.

Secondly the chips come with different coloured numbers and I don’t know what the difference is.The numbers are 0511A and 0511D and again don’t know what the difference is.

I contacted the current Lenz importer but these chips were imported before they became the importer, and were supplied by McKays who have now closed.

David

852497C0-0311-4FD3-91DA-4772A9B402B1.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

But you have a copy of the manual in the box which is in both English and German and which will surely answer your questions. These chips are very old - your manual is dated June 2002 (06 02). 

RFS, thanks for the reply, the problem I have is I don’t know which is the A and which is D as they both have the same number on the chip, just different colours. Also I have the manuals but I don’t know what they mean as I know nothing of electrics and electronics!

David

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Norton961 said:

RFS, thanks for the reply, the problem I have is I don’t know which is the A and which is D as they both have the same number on the chip, just different colours. Also I have the manuals but I don’t know what they mean as I know nothing of electrics and electronics!

David

Sorry to persist but do please read the manual you have, or rather information sheet. It does clearly explain the difference between the two decoder types A and D. It would appear you only have As.

Edited by RFS

05 means 0.5A.  The manual should also identify the coding used in the 11.   Eg another popular decoder was 1014 ( 1 amp).  I think the 3rd digit was 1 for single-sided component mounting ( ie a flat side away from camera )

The 1024 having components on both sides of the board ( and therefore shorter overall).

The Macoder of the same period ...an economical special for the UK market when Mackays were the importer, was the 1000 and had only 1 non directional function output ( white wire ) and sold for 10GBP.  The last digit 1 = white and yellow F0 and 4 for 4 functions ? 

The coloured probably simply reflect different batches ..... As also implied by the different printing dates on the manuals.

They were good decoders at the time, and should still be.

I cannot recall, however, whether at those dates, they supported 'silent drive' by having a switching frequency above 

16kHz. Ish.  Look for the CV giving control of the motor drive pulse rate.    

1 hour ago, Phil S said:

......The Macoder of the same period ...an economical special for the UK market when Mackays were the importer, was the 1000 and had only 1 non directional function output ( white wire ) and sold for 10GBP.  The last digit 1 = white and yellow F0 and 4 for 4 functions ? 

I cannot recall, however, whether at those dates, they supported 'silent drive' by having a switching frequency above 

16kHz. Ish. 

The last digit seems to have indicated the number of functions.

0 = 1 function

1 = 2 functions

4 = 4 functions

The LE 0511W micro decoder, had what they called “Drive Select”, which allowed switching between “Silent Drive”  or “ Precision Glide Control”. The OP’s user manual will note that the A & D suffix models simply have “Silent Drive”.

Ron

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

I bought Lenz decoders in 2003. They are still running trouble-free, and give excellent Back-EMF control.

Lenz tend to issue manuals applicable to several decoders with small differences (such as plug type). The operation of the decoders is the same.

Possibly some of the decoders had plugs, and some just bare wires. A previous owner may have snipped off the plugs, intending them for use in locos without sockets.

The second decoder from the top (with a red label) seems to have cables with no protruding metal wire. Suggests it had a plug which was snipped. The other red-label decoder has probably received a visit from a wire-stripper.

CV 50 determines whether "silent drive" is in operation or not. You may find you are happy without bothering with this.

The main issue is to make sure that your locos do not draw more than 0.45 amps in total.

M

Edited by Mike Buckner
Afterthought

Gentlemen, many thanks for your input and knowledge, very helpful. Most of the chips In the photo will be put into some small Industrials ( in P4) so current draw should not be a problem as they all have Mashima motors.

i now have a better understanding of the “old” chips.

David

I have lenz 1000 chips bought in 1998 that cost £8 which I put in Lima O gauge class 33s and they are still going strong, they tamed the high speed and give good slow speed control. Later Lenz chips that I bought including gold chips all went up in smoke and the free replacements also did the same, I changed to TCS and then Zimo which I now use and rarely have any problems.

Regards mike