Hornby 2020 range "reveal date" = 6th Jan

phil gollin

In terms of what Hornby might do:

• GWR Manor - high polling for a long while, lots still around, possibly good splash for a 100 year thing.
  • Class 37 - also much wanted, many liveries possible, again still around. 
  • another "small & cute" little loco, a part of the market that seems to have been very hot for the last number of years
  • outside chance - Class 89 - again much in demand, would make a splash, though the economics likely favour a direct sale/retailer doing this
  • expansion of their line of Mk2 coaches
  • something Southern given Hornby's like of Southern
  • a more modern DMU of some sort, perhaps the 165 now that they may spread around a bit more.  Advantage the new GWR livery seems to be popular on models, and can tie in with the popular 80x models on layouts.
  • outside chance - Class 50 - to hold on to this prototype as it is likely to be redone by someone in the next 5 years and polled middle in its first year in the poll
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Not at all biased, and backwards looking.

If they are to become relevent to todays generation, they do need to make boring DMUs and EMUs, because if they didnt make boring Diesels in the 1970’s/80’s there wouldnt be anything from their archive to give a modern touch to today, to entertain yesterdays generation.

Whilst some steam locos will always sell, theres an increasing number of steam locos on special offer in my inbox, I can only wish I can find a cheap IEP on ebay, let alone a discounted new one.. not many steam locos sell out at £400+ requiring 2,3,4 repeats.

Nope - its called being realistic.

Lets not forget the original point which I was responding to was the suggestion of Hornby doing something special for its 100th anniversary celebrations - and sorry, an Electrosar for example simply doesn't have the 'start billing' element that fits the occasion.

Yes mundane EMUs and DMUs are very much a part of the modern railway scene and would be something welcomed by modellers - BUT they are no different conceptually to the GWR suburban coaches and Prairie tank Hornby announced last year are they?

In terms of 'star billing, first place will always go to namers, top link motive power and the cult of celebrity.

As I have highlighted, with the IET, Hornby already have such a model in their range, while other manufactures have picked off the other possible options when it comes to locos. Consequently if Hornby were looking to do 'something special' that involved new tooling specifically because of the 100 year anniversary (rather than just newly tooled subjects like they do every year) something from the steams era is a no-brainer decision.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mdvle said:

In terms of what Hornby might do:

• GWR Manor - high polling for a long while, lots still around, possibly good splash for a 100 year thing.
  • Class 37 - also much wanted, many liveries possible, again still around. 
  • another "small & cute" little loco, a part of the market that seems to have been very hot for the last number of years
  • outside chance - Class 89 - again much in demand, would make a splash, though the economics likely favour a direct sale/retailer doing this
  • expansion of their line of Mk2 coaches
  • something Southern given Hornby's like of Southern
  • a more modern DMU of some sort, perhaps the 165 now that they may spread around a bit more.  Advantage the new GWR livery seems to be popular on models, and can tie in with the popular 80x models on layouts.
  • outside chance - Class 50 - to hold on to this prototype as it is likely to be redone by someone in the next 5 years and polled middle in its first year in the poll

The Manor has a good chance after the Prairie. Class 37 & Class 50, unless they get them to Accurascale standards, it won't be worth the effort. Class 89 sounds like an eventual Rails and Heljan job to me. Modern DMU, not always their strong area. 

Another Southern Loco seems really probable, equally probably, it will be another duplicate of someone elses announcement.

What I really hope is the company moves into profit mode!

• Like 2

Hornby could do something really 'left-field' (for them, not their major competitors) and produce a modern standard heritage DMU; There are plenty of classes not yet done. However, I won't hold my breath.........

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Don't agree.  The casual audience often wants a model of the train they see at their local station, the one they go to work or school on, which is usually a boring multiple unit.  But it must be offered in the correct livery!

In that case we would see train sets with ex Lima 156 units in them rather than Pulman cars and named locos for the sets they flog at Christmas via non model shops!

Casual means someone who has not committed themselves to the hobby and just likes the idea of a trainset.

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I hate to say it, but they have all been steam.

and if you look at other manufacturers, their sell offs were steam.. 47xx, 04 and Bachmanns discounts are steam...

Not many modern image* classes end in the bargain bins of late.

i get regular emails containing lists of bargain plain steam black locomotives.

The good thing about modern image is modernity... modellers want today... which means when new TOCs emerge and the vinyls change, the previous model becomes disposable giving the model railway company another bite at the cherry...

* modern image, Post y2k..

4 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

The only 'current' motive power not being covered are rather boring EMUs / DMUs - not really the stuff to excite the casual audience regardless of how essential they may be for the accurate modeller.

On the Dolgellau group we have a very committed 12 year old who is already exhibiting at local shows.  Although he enjoys operating our steam locos his main interest is the current scene, in particular "boring units" as some call them.  He's a capable repainter, having recently painted a Bachmann 158 into the latest TfW "T-Bag" livery, and even manages to solder and hard-wire DCC chips into the older stock, which seeing as I've never managed to acquire the skill of soldering despite over 40 years of trying, is going some.  He is an active, young modeller not afraid to do what some on here archly and patronisingly call "real modelling" but doesn't see any relevance in steam for him.  We also have a separate "come and play" layout in a side room for youngsters to have a go on.  We have two Railroad steam outline trains (a Holden 101 and a BR "Pug") together with an ancient Hornby Class 142 and Lima Class 37.  Not scientific, but the two most popular choices for the youngsters are the two diesels even though they are most definitely not "modern image".

There seems to be a disconnect between the majority of posters on here and the world outside when it comes to post steam (and can we ditch the "modern image" phrase?  The highest polling non-steam item in the recent wishlist was the Class 120 dmu.  It first ran over 60 years ago.  To put that in context, when the dmu was truly modern image that would have been the same as calling a Precedent "modern image", which is patent nonsense).  There are a lot of younger enthusiasts out there who don't come on this forum but have their own social media platforms, like the Model Railway YouTube Group.  In fact I know of several older modellers in the 40s who model sectorisation who don't use this forum or who have stopped coming here because it doesn't meet their interests - and they have since developed their own social media presence and getting a significant number of followers.

The upshot of all this, and Hornby clearly know this based on last year's programme, is that Hornby need to be in the contemporary scene with adequate, pocket-money priced items, as well as developing a range of higher quality, more historic non-steam items to complement their extensive steam catalogue, to cater for us upcoming baby-boomers who will, let's face it, be probably the last generation able to retire with a disposable income to fund a hobby, but for whom steam is a passing interest, more as a "fun-fair" ride.  of course "baby-boomers" will still have interest in steam era layouts as I do, but there will be a growing interest in post-steam models, something Bachmann and Heljan have picked up on but Hornby seem to have had a more patchy response to.  Whilst I doubt Hornby would go for a 319 seeing as Bachmann already have one planned for Graham Farish so could easily rescale the CADs for an OO version ( and which would be an absolute no brainer...) I think they could easily go for the "PEP" type units, seeing as they are in the headlines now following their withdrawals.  They neatly span BR Blue, Sectorisation, Privatisation, cover the country from Glasgow to the South Coast, were highly modular and standardised, and come in 3 and 4 car flavours with more liveries than you could shake a stick at.  It's a unit but one that could easily satisfy the younger contemporary scene and the baby-boomer generation.  Whilst my personal preference would be for an AM10, the reality is the "PEP" units have a better business case in terms of potential market, it would have a high degree of synergy within the existing Hornby business model and if the price point was good, or if the model could, like their earlier Mk2e coaches, be offered in a simpler price sensitive form, or a more detailed (perhaps with added value items like lighting) version for the less price sensitive market, could actually be a game changer for the "unit" market inmuch the same way the Bachmann Class 85 proved the naysayers about AC electrics wrong. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

We have to remember that Hornby tend to rotate the Big 4 with their new (or retooled) steam offering.

in the last few years we have had large Prairie and Duchess for 2019 supplemented by the Terrier at the 11th hour, Lord Nelson and the j15 for 2018,   Merchant Navy I think was 2017. I’m not at my computer to go back further back but if we had a definitive list of new and retooled it might narrow down where big H might be heading. I’ve wondered for a while if the WD S160 is in the offing and having seen the recent wish list I think that might be an option.

The earlier post re the Manor might make Hornby execs uneasy if they think Bachmann are closer and can trump them.

just my random thoughts.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, mdvle said:

another "small & cute" little loco, a part of the market that seems to have been very hot for the last number of years

I do wonder if there's a risk of oversaturation there - Hattons' recent bargain bundles consist entirely of "small & cute" locos.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Hornby could do something really 'left-field' (for them, not their major competitors) and produce a modern standard heritage DMU; There are plenty of classes not yet done. However, I won't hold my breath.........

They could - but such a model is hardly going to scream 'special anniversary is it?

I fear people are confusing two very different things:-

On the one hand there is the usual business of announcing a few new models each year - regardless of whether the company as been trading for 34, 76, 83, 104, etc years). A new DMU, which can be released in lots of different liveries over subsequent years is a perfectly sensible choice for release under this setup.

On the other hand there is the desire to release something unique to celebrate a specific anniversary / event. This shroud ideally be a 'one off' and OT be repeated in subsequent years so as to preserve its 'special' nature. Release a model of the Rocket in a fancy presentation box would be a far better fit for this than a DMU for this particular event.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Don't agree.  The casual audience often wants a model of the train they see at their local station, the one they go to work or school on, which is usually a boring multiple unit.  But it must be offered in the correct livery!

Do they? It's Pacers and 156s for most of us. Already available in Railroad standard from Hornby and state of the art models from Realtrack.

I couldn't think of anything worse than modelling what I see everyday. That's the world I want to escape from....

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

On the Dolgellau group we have a very committed 12 year old who is already exhibiting at local shows.  Although he enjoys operating our steam locos his main interest is the current scene, in particular "boring units" as some call them.  He's a capable repainter, having recently painted a Bachmann 158 into the latest TfW "T-Bag" livery, and even manages to solder and hard-wire DCC chips into the older stock, which seeing as I've never managed to acquire the skill of soldering despite over 40 years of trying, is going some.  He is an active, young modeller not afraid to do what some on here archly and patronisingly call "real modelling" but doesn't see any relevance in steam for him.  We also have a separate "come and play" layout in a side room for youngsters to have a go on.  We have two Railroad steam outline trains (a Holden 101 and a BR "Pug") together with an ancient Hornby Class 142 and Lima Class 37.  Not scientific, but the two most popular choices for the youngsters are the two diesels even though they are most definitely not "modern image".

There seems to be a disconnect between the majority of posters on here and the world outside when it comes to post steam (and can we ditch the "modern image" phrase?  The highest polling non-steam item in the recent wishlist was the Class 120 dmu.  It first ran over 60 years ago.  To put that in context, when the dmu was truly modern image that would have been the same as calling a Precedent "modern image", which is patent nonsense).  There are a lot of younger enthusiasts out there who don't come on this forum but have their own social media platforms, like the Model Railway YouTube Group.  In fact I know of several older modellers in the 40s who model sectorisation who don't use this forum or who have stopped coming here because it doesn't meet their interests - and they have since developed their own social media presence and getting a significant number of followers.

The upshot of all this, and Hornby clearly know this based on last year's programme, is that Hornby need to be in the contemporary scene with adequate, pocket-money priced items, as well as developing a range of higher quality, more historic non-steam items to complement their extensive steam catalogue, to cater for us upcoming baby-boomers who will, let's face it, be probably the last generation able to retire with a disposable income to fund a hobby, but for whom steam is a passing interest, more as a "fun-fair" ride.  of course "baby-boomers" will still have interest in steam era layouts as I do, but there will be a growing interest in post-steam models, something Bachmann and Heljan have picked up on but Hornby seem to have had a more patchy response to.  Whilst I doubt Hornby would go for a 319 seeing as Bachmann already have one planned for Graham Farish so could easily rescale the CADs for an OO version ( and which would be an absolute no brainer...) I think they could easily go for the "PEP" type units, seeing as they are in the headlines now following their withdrawals.  They neatly span BR Blue, Sectorisation, Privatisation, cover the country from Glasgow to the South Coast, were highly modular and standardised, and come in 3 and 4 car flavours with more liveries than you could shake a stick at.  It's a unit but one that could easily satisfy the younger contemporary scene and the baby-boomer generation.  Whilst my personal preference would be for an AM10, the reality is the "PEP" units have a better business case in terms of potential market, it would have a high degree of synergy within the existing Hornby business model and if the price point was good, or if the model could, like their earlier Mk2e coaches, be offered in a simpler price sensitive form, or a more detailed (perhaps with added value items like lighting) version for the less price sensitive market, could actually be a game changer for the "unit" market inmuch the same way the Bachmann Class 85 proved the naysayers about AC electrics wrong. 

Not disagreeing with what you say generally - BUT its not relevant to the question of producing a model  especially to celebrate 100 years of Hornby railways is it?

A 'special product' is NOT one which you continue to churn out year after year in different liveries!

Nor do 'special editions' tend to feature the mundane / ordinary - they are normally distinctive and limited distribution and that apples jut as much to model trains as it does to cars or fashion!

Edited by phil-b259

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Hroth said:

Not really, the "Hornby" that started marketing tinplate trains in 1920 died when it was absorbed by Tri-ang in 1964 and not much that was Hornby Dublo was carried across to Triang-Hornby.  The best that might be considered in anniversary tems is that the present company might be said to have hit the 70 years mark that commemorates the production of a train set for Marks and Spencer to sell at Christmas 1950 by Rovex.  The company that now trades as "Hornby" is even more recent as it was formed in 1972 after the "Tri-ang" name became unavailable due to the collapse of the Lines Brother conglomerate, so that would give a 50th anniversary in 2022!

The infatuation with Old Hornby that SK has is on a par with the recent advertising slogan "Vauxhall, a British Brand since 1903"*.  In other words, a somewhat stretched association.

* Vauxhall Motors, formed in 1903, bought by General Motors in 1925, bought by Groupe PSA in 2017.

You can be as picky as you like about the "true" date Hornby appeared on the scene. They don't care - the 100th is next year and WILL be celebrated. I took this photo in March, so you can see how long they have been planning it.

Century logo (1).JPG

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

Actually Phil, the thread isn't about what special Hornby could do to celebrate their 100th anniversary.  It was just announcing the date of their reveal.  Others have decided to go down the path of speculating on special releases, as I did tongue-in-cheek last night.  However, Hornby could just as likely celebrate their 100th anniversary by announcing a bumper catalogue of new items across their whole range, a sort of "we've been through the mire, now we're bouncing back stronger than ever" announcement, in which case why shouldn't a unit of some sort be part of the plan?  It would position Hornby in a way that says they do acknowledge not everyone is into steam and that they want to cater for those of us who want ordinary.  To me that would be a far better way for Hornby to commemorate their 100th anniversary than some one off freak kettle model.  

That was what my comment was about - my speculation on the general direction of the announcement and market strategy on 6th January and specifically addressing the "boring units" comments.  I couldn't give a flying flamingo about celebratory models and there are other ways for Hornby to celebrate their 100th, not least in developing a range that allows them to survive into year 101.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Is there a loco that was considered "special" in 1920 that has been preserved and Hornby already has tooling for? A 1920 and "current" livery box set might cover the 1920-2020 branding suggested by Phil Parker's photo.

Go further and add wagons and coaches, buildings, scenery and a track mat and have a giant anniversary train set.

A box set of locos covering the catalogue covers over the period, although that might be a bit excessive for any potential purchaser except perhaps Rod Stewart and Pete Waterman.

I can't see the "anniversary" being new tooling of what might be called a normal loco, even if a one-off. I think it will be big (price/contents rather than scale/gauge) and linked in some way to 1920. But what do I know...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Do they? It's Pacers and 156s for most of us. Already available in Railroad standard from Hornby and state of the art models from Realtrack.

I couldn't think of anything worse than modelling what I see everyday. That's the world I want to escape from....

Jason

It is for the likes of us, Jason, but not for the huge number of commuters in London and the South East of England who’s main experience, not always a pleasant one, is of boring multiple units.  These are what they or Daddy go to work, school, college, or shopping on, and this is the world they are familiar with.  

They are casual buyers of model trains, not escapees like us, and want models that ‘relate in a meaningful way’ (I think that’s the correct marketingspeak) to their lives.  

We are a relatively minority interest to the main manufacturers, and have distorted perceptions of what can be profitably designed, manufactured, assembled, packaged, shipped, distributed, and sold at a viable competitive market price.  This sort of second guessing and froth is enormous fun but I have no illusions regarding our chances if getting any of it right, or the howls of protest when our predictions are confounded, or that the major players take all that much notice of our polls or wishlists unless they happen to coincide with their own plans...

• Agree 1

To Hornby something "special" has to have gold plated wheels.  After supposedly 100 years of manufacturing  (good for advertising)  Hornby still sees its market as "collectables" for the collector.  What better offering for the collector but a useless model with gold plating,  most likely never to leave the protective environment of its packaging.    With the fascination these days for tiny but profitable steam and diesel locomotives,  perhaps something of interest there.  

Hornby sat on its laurels for a generation or more dishing out the same old thing while others made technological progress.  It saw its position as the toy trainset manufacturer.  It took a long time to improve its quality and venture into Chinese manufacturing even though others had shown the way nearly thirty years previously.   I do not see Hornby as a pioneer of ground breaking model development so do not see "something special" as special.  Hornby lacks enthusiasm in its management, its development team (look to the demise of the Engine Shed) and its marketing.  They need the likes of Jason and company from Rapido to inject life in a supposedly comatose 100 year old body.   I would like to be "surprised" but am not breaking out the champagne yet.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

However, Hornby could just as likely celebrate their 100th anniversary by announcing a bumper catalogue of new items across their whole range, a sort of "we've been through the mire, now we're bouncing back stronger than ever" announcement, in which case why shouldn't a unit of some sort be part of the plan?  It would position Hornby in a way that says they do acknowledge not everyone is into steam and that they want to cater for those of us who want ordinary.  To me that would be a far better way for Hornby to commemorate their 100th anniversary than some one off freak kettle model.  

They could - but I just don't think thats the 'SK / Hornby way' of doing things - its a bit too boring.

Its also worth noting that "we are bouncing back stronger than ever" type marketing was present at the time the 2019 range was announced, and the 2018 one IIRC.

Thats why I reckon there will be some sort of 'special edition' product alongside the usual bunch of new liveries / products - and rigorous analysis of possible subjects for that special edition is heavily biased towards steam.

Take for example something like a recreation of the Rocket they ave done in the past. It will appeal to collectors AND the general public more widely (particularly if they can get to into the places which don't normally stock trainsets but have occasionally sold them at Christmas) and is by virtue of what it is, definitely fits the 'one off' criteria.

27 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

That was what my comment was about - my speculation on the general direction of the announcement and market strategy on 6th January and specifically addressing the "boring units" comments.  I couldn't give a flying flamingo about celebratory models and there are other ways for Hornby to celebrate their 100th, not least in developing a range that allows them to survive into year 101.

Suddenly swamping the market with lots of DMUs is NOT going to keep Hornby in business - it needs a portfolio that sells well. A sure fire way of making them disappear is to pander to what you say you want - for all the bluster steam still remains a very profitable segment of the model market despite the protestations of many that its going to disappear due to "the folk that 'remember it fist hand dieing off'

Hornbys difficulties did NOT stem from over concentrating on the steam market - they came from chronic mismanagement which has now been rectified and as such there is no reason to not believe they will be with us for many years to come.

Now thats not to say a high detail first generation DMU wouldn't go amiss from the range, nor a contemporary EMU*, but they will only come f Hornby decide they will be profitable enough for the company. The fact they haven't done to date suggest that other products (including steam) are better at generating wealth.

* Bachmann and recent moves by other manufacturers are doing reasonably well at covering the significant second generation units.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, ndg910 said:

We have to remember that Hornby tend to rotate the Big 4 with their new (or retooled) steam offering.

in the last few years we have had large Prairie and Duchess for 2019 supplemented by the Terrier at the 11th hour, Lord Nelson and the j15 for 2018,   Merchant Navy I think was 2017. I’m not at my computer to go back further back but if we had a definitive list of new and retooled it might narrow down where big H might be heading. I’ve wondered for a while if the WD S160 is in the offing and having seen the recent wish list I think that might be an option.

The earlier post re the Manor might make Hornby execs uneasy if they think Bachmann are closer and can trump them.

just my random thoughts.

Two things 1, it's the Princess Royal Class not the Coronation/Duchess Class that were announced with the Large Prairies and Terriers this year

2, Hornby could pull off a better 78xx/Manor as their Grange Class has really well done GWR Stephenson valve gear compared to Bachmann's rendition, plus they have the correct tender type for them too, plus better modelled coaching stock for them.

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

Hornby lacks enthusiasm in its management, its development team (look to the demise of the Engine Shed) and its marketing.

From what we have seen in the past that accusation simply isn't true as far as the designers / researchers are concerned

However what is true is that after SK came back, the shutters have come back down on the operation as it were so we don't get see the dedication and enthusiasm which undoubtedly still exists within.

8 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

To Hornby something "special" has to have gold plated wheels.  After supposedly 100 years of manufacturing  (good for advertising)  Hornby still sees its market as "collectables" for the collector.  What better offering for the collector but a useless model with gold plating,  most likely never to leave the protective environment of its packaging. 

Agree with the pointlessness of 'gold plated' models - but if they sell well and generate money which can be put into more deserving models then so be it!

Its a bit like those tasteless Flying Scotsman clocks - however awful they might be to railway enthusiasts the fact that the NRM gets a small donation is an undoubted positive.

Also if you actually think about it, because those models subject to the 'gold plated' treatment are ones that have already been made in the normal way, they not actually consume a lot of time to create thus they don't impact that greatly on the designers working on more important (to us) projects.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

You lot no nuffin, I have insider information. :secret: The pretty waitress at the Peking Authentic Canton Chinese Restaurant at the top of the High Street told me in total confidence her cousin who works in the factory where Hornby have their trains made told her other cousin who doesn't work in the factory where Hornby have there trains made told her as it is a special celebration of 100 years it is to be a class 100 DMU. :yahoo:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 6
  • Funny 9