Hornby 2020 range "reveal date" = 6th Jan

phil gollin

• RMweb Premium

I don't like getting into the guessing game business, however, considering the fact that Hornby make so many locomotives that can and were used on the Waggon Lites Sleeper trains isn't it about time we had a decent set of these beauties, plus the appropriate support wagons? They were on the cover of a previous catalogue behind the Lord Nelson... So Hornby put your money where your mouth is.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, 7013 said:

I don't like getting into the guessing game business, however, considering the fact that Hornby make so many locomotives that can and were used on the Waggon Lites Sleeper trains isn't it about time we had a decent set of these beauties, plus the appropriate support wagons? They were on the cover of a previous catalogue behind the Lord Nelson... So Hornby put your money where your mouth is.

You seem extremely confident about them...have you done all the research and found out that you can sell 1000+ of each type?

You're so confident that you've told Hornby to put their money where their mouths are.

As with the USATC S-160 2-8-0, the Wagon-Lits coaches are a peculiar choice, that will either recommend them to modellers, or scare manufacturers off.  I used to commute into Victoria when these were around, and they were almost impossible to see as they were only there in the passports only platforms, or sticking out of the carriage sheds down by the Embankment.  They were long sets, which only (AS FAR AS I KNOW) travelled on a single route.  "Pretty"", but expensive to model.

Now, if you want sets that travelled around, then the "short", or "long" Hastings Units although spending most of their lives on a single route did have quite a few liveries, and ended their lives going further afield.  However, my favourite set would be the "Trans-Pennine" sets, which had the most stylish fronts of any DMUs  (I have an ancient Trix off-scale set which is lovely).

Collectors MIGHT go for a Wagons-Lit set, but how many coaches ?

Good luck to Hornby in making a profitable choice whichever models they choose.

Edited by phil gollin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

You seem extremely confident about them...have you done all the research and found out that you can sell 1000+ of each type?

You're so confident that you've told Hornby to put their money where their mouths are.

Precisely why I don’t usually get into the guessing game / froth thing. To answer your reply, I am not at all confident that Hornby will make them. ‘Put your money where your mouth is’ pertains to the fact that they have put them on the front of a catalogue which is more of a teaser than me ‘telling’ Hornby what they should or should not be making. Why put a product that you do not or have no intention of making on your catalogue? It’s like many so called ‘niche products’ we get these days, a few years ago they would not have been given a thought, but they seem to sell. And like many layouts unless you are strict about region/era etc. You can run what you like, and let’s face it the night sleeper would grace any layout.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Sorry feel you are being a bit harsh there have seen a lot more outlandish wish lists than that suggested and even more left of field models being produced! Personally I reckon it's going to be the fell (whatever that is)!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, 7013 said:

Precisely why I don’t usually get into the guessing game / froth thing. To answer your reply, I am not at all confident that Hornby will make them. ‘Put your money where your mouth is’ pertains to the fact that they have put them on the front of a catalogue which is more of a teaser than me ‘telling’ Hornby what they should or should not be making. Why put a product that you do not or have no intention of making on your catalogue? It’s like many so called ‘niche products’ we get these days, a few years ago they would not have been given a thought, but they seem to sell. And like many layouts unless you are strict about region/era etc. You can run what you like, and let’s face it the night sleeper would grace any layout.

You've probably taken that cover far too seriously... Anyway, hope you get what you want!

Worth remembering that Model Rail used to sell kits for the Wagon Lits coaches which were still available until recently from MARC Models.

Hardly obscure prototypes and ideal for all those Class 71s, MNs. Class 33s, and dare I say SECR 4-4-0s.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 7013 said:

Why put a product that you do not or have no intention of making on your catalogue?

Time to put this one to bed I think; we wanted to feature a painting of the the Lord Nelson class that year, as that was a headline new tooling and having found that particular painting, set at Folkestone Warren (just down the road from me), there was no question that it would make for an attractive cover image. The fact that the Nelson was hauling Wagon-Lits was entirely without consequence and entirely incidental - the Nelson was the focus, not the coaches...

Best wishes,

Paul

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Informative/Useful 5

13 minutes ago, Islesy said:

Time to put this one to bed I think; we wanted to feature a painting of the the Lord Nelson class that year, as that was a headline new tooling and having found that particular painting, set at Folkestone Warren (just down the road from me), there was no question that it would make for an attractive cover image. The fact that the Nelson was hauling Wagon-Lits was entirely without consequence and entirely incidental - the Nelson was the focus, not the coaches...

Best wishes,

Paul

Yeah but, no but.

Still think 7013 has a point, who wouldn't want a set and you need something iconic to shift a few more 71s.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

34 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Yeah but, no but.

Still think 7013 has a point, who wouldn't want a set and you need something iconic to shift a few more 71s.

Me for one.  

That said, given those of us who like to try and keep things real on our models (well,  within the constraints of using mass-produced adult toy trains) seem to be in a minority round here judging by the popularity of freak kettles like "Big Bertha" in the wishlist poll, and given the popularity of Pullmans which, let's face it, never were as widespread as to justify the range of models available, I suspect they would be surprisingly popular, and actually a good fit with the existing Hornby range of locos.

I'd just spend my money on something more relevant.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Me for one. 

It's pretty much a given that, for any model, there'll be those who'll add it to their roster and those that won't. I'd be surprised if there were much overlap between our two collections, for example.

Good point about the Pullmans!

Re-releasing some of their iconic models with new tooling would be wonderful - the 81 and APT would be fantastic, the latter may appeal to old and young and given the success of the 87 and the Bachmann 85 and 90 am I dreaming that AC motive power might be on the 'up' in terms of manufacturer interest? 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Prices are pretty steep, but I suppose reflect size, detail .....

...and possibly unrealistic expectations for low prices in the UK. The detail on some of those locos (I only watched the first couple of minutes) was stunning.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Seeing as it's that time of year when wish list can be dressed up as speculation I'll chip in with a few of my own.

Thompson BZ brake, Hornby have never been scared of the six wheel van and it would fit with their recent enthusiasm for Eastern stuff.

Motor Rail petrol shunter, completes the loco roster of the Burneside paper tramway.

More to come but Spiral has just started .....

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Neil said:

Thompson BZ brake, Hornby have never been scared of the six wheel van and it would fit with their recent enthusiasm for Eastern stuff.

I'd buy one of these!  Lasted into the 70s in blue livery and total geographical spread from 1948 on...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Neil said:

Seeing as it's that time of year when wish list can be dressed up as speculation I'll chip in with a few of my own.

Motor Rail petrol shunter, completes the loco roster of the Burneside paper tramway.

More to come but Spiral has just started .....

A further thought, given the amount of interest shown in the Hattons generic four and six wheel carriages and that Hornby were quite happy to tread on Rails toes with their Terrier how about some pre group four wheel carriages from Hornby, perhaps rtr versions of the GWR four wheelers done as a kit by Ratio.

On the industrial front I wonder having done diesel and steam if Hornby might have electric in their sights. On a personal level I'd rather like this one, late of York Corporation power station.

For the moment that is all, though I might well come back and add some more.

4 hours ago, atom3624 said:

That is true.

Can't believe the range of locomotives available 'over there', but similar-looking locomotives from different manufacturers later on in the video were actually quite competitive cf 'UK-type expectations'.

Al.

It's a bit misleading.

US steam is expensive, and heavily oriented to the larger locomotives.  It is hard to find the more numerous, smaller sized locos in RTR and if you want something other than the biggest of the prototypes you are just out of luck.  Most US steam era modellers can only dream of having the sort of selection UK modellers have, never mind the price.

Diesels are a different story, thanks to the relative standardization, and so there is definitely a large selection at much better prices than steam.  Yet at the same time there are still gaps in what are available in modern tooled models that has no equivalent in the UK.

And Athearn just announced a new line of cabooses (aka a brake van) and the list price is $110...

Oh, and don't look at the price of the limited range of accurate passenger cars either.

So it all depends on what you want.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Islesy said:

Best wishes,

Paul

Well there goes about five pages of froth we will not have to read.  One thing froth and foam hate is dampening.