Hornby 2020 range "reveal date" = 6th Jan

phil gollin

As with the last few years from Hornby I will not hold my breath on anything, personally I think Hornby have upped their game the last couple of years with some truly wonderful models produced my personal favourite being the class 87. When thinking of which way they could possibly go with new tooling every year I think the distinctly obvious move would be DMU's & EMU's. When we consider how many gaps exist in 00 gauge units there's quite a long list of possibilities. Not going to go with a wish list as such but some examples of units that are missing which COULD be thought about..

Class 323 EMU

Class 175 DMU

Class 185 DMU

Class 319 EMU

They are units that are now all over 10 years old but so far have been completely overlooked by any of the RTR manufacturers. As per there will more than likely be none of the above so I'd settle for a few new liveries on various locos & existing stock etc. As much as I love Hornby's steam models I'd like to think 2020 won't just be catered to them. 

• Agree 3

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 13:02, phil-b259 said:

But freight runs into the same problem.

Class 66 - Hattons

Class 70 - Bachmann

Class 68 - Dapol

Class 90 -Bachmann

Class 92 - Acurescale

Class 86 - Heljan (yes I now they are only doing 'as built' versions so far... but i the future..

Also, direct duplication* has been tried in the past - and all it does is reduce each manufacturers profits rather than grow the market. Consequently manufacturers avoid duplication and wipull products if tooling has not yet started if another reveals they are likely to get to market first, or do what Rails did with their terrier (upgrade the product to make it even more detailed and sell at a higher price). Bachmann also have the ability to transfer development to a N gauge version of course.

* Duplication like Hornbys Railroad standard 66 versus Bachmanns or Hattons higher specced offering i normally not an issue as each model is actually going for a different segment of the market rather than being in direct competition for the same segment.

I don't dispute that it is a problem. Hornby have I think eight 'full fat' D+E traction models (30, 31, 43, 50, 56, 60, 71, 87) and the first four are in the same category as Bachmann's 24, 55, 66; 'looking vulnerable'. With what a looks like a dozen competitors circling the covered wagons, are Hornby going to allow these to be picked off one by one with no response? Hornby need to engage in some pushing back to keep the brand to the fore is my feeling.

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 18:57, adb968008 said:

...The model (Roco S160) is absolutely fantastic, pulls well, glides along the track, excellent engineered, super responsive, low geared and moves on next to nothing.. but it has all the things British modellers resent... tender drive, traction tyres and a high price.

I don't think we resent traction tyres and tender drive, we just don't require them. Plenty of good OO steam models now that have the well proven mechanism technique from HO development, and that run and pull as they should on all metal wheels with a loco drive.

15 hours ago, Hroth said:

...How about a TTS Iron Mink with some pre-grouping sounds inside it?...

10 hours ago, GWR8700 said:

What would pre-grouping sounds be?

I truly know the answer to this, thanks to a centenarian I knew in my youth: specifically a centenarian whose career had been in public health. He had sent another in the congregation off to 'Casualty' (A&E), as her coughing led him to suspect bronchitis. What he told a couple of us was that the immediately noticeable difference between our present compared to his youth was the wholesale reduction in poor respiration and coughing. The legacy of poor diet leading to deficient physical development, endemic TB, smoking the norm among men, serious general airborne pollution and poor to zero dust control in numerous industries; meant a lot of exposure to lung damage. Wheezings and coughings, in short.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

And the coughing of those gassed in the Flanders trenches ...lives effectively ruined for decades until premature death.I well remember Fred down our street who sat on the step outside his house for hours on end because that was all he could do.There were too many like him.Strange though that those of us brought up during “our” war (1939-45) are now considered to have been given a healthy diet.How the world turns...

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Coughing, spitting, and hawking from smokers/baccy chewers and uneven footsteps in addition from the halt and lame of whom there were more than now even before the horrors of the trenches because of industrial accidents, costermongers shouting in urban areas, horseshoes and iron shod wheels on cobbles, possibly the odd neigh, lad.  The coughing would be prevalent in children, from lung diseases and smoking; most working class children smoked in those days.  Working men and boys wore hobnail boots which also made a distinct noise on paved or cobbled surfaces.  

In industrial areas, factory hooters/whistles and a lot of banging and clanking as blokes make things out of lumps of stuff, in coal mining areas the background clatter of the buckets on the overhead cable carrying spoil to the tip, a sound so prevalent that everyone tuned it out until it stopped, when you were suddenly aware of it's absence.  Animal noises and not much else in rural areas, no tractors or farm machinery.  Very few aircraft, but a lot of ship hooter noise in ports.  Anywhere within about 5 miles of the coast was within earshot of a fog horn, once heard never forgotten.  In the Late Victorian and Edwardian towns and cities you were never far from a brass band playing something militaristic and patriotic, or the Sally playing hymns.

Many of these noises were appropriate for periods up to well after WW2; the buckets are one of my own memories from a 50s childhood in Cardiff visiting rellys in the valleys.  Another one was that, in Cardiff, the East Moors Steelworks tipped hot slag into the sea, resulting a spectacular roar that could be heard for miles (I was about 3 miles away from it).  Basically they are seminal steam era noises, applicable for that time but essential for pre-grouping background.  From the early 20s on, motor sounds like cars, lorries, motor buses, aircraft, compressors, pneumatic drills, become more noticeable.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 17/11/2019 at 04:25, Hilux5972 said:

I hold faith that Hornby will finally give us a Brand Spanking new Manor Class. Perhaps they will surprise us all by doing a new loco from every big 4 company 

You're in with a chance for the Manor. I'd say, unless they've used the space inside the large prairie to accommodate the mech from the Grange.  If they've done this, the mech won't fit in a Manor firebox and your faith will have to be transferred to Dapol...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I don't think we've linked to this video yet. It might inform the discussion:

If you've not seen it, you need to subscribe to Gold, or the Free newsletter.

Very informative especially after our chat we had at the recent Gaydon show. I noticed some of those Quick Build kits in the local M & S too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Hornby have I think eight 'full fat' D+E traction models (30, 31, 43, 50, 56, 60, 71, 87)

Plus 08 & 67.  67 is often forgotten but is a lovely model IMHO - not quite 60 league but not far short (same league as 56 maybe).

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

As ever I look forward to the announcements, as I do that of Bachmann's. It's exciting and somewhat refreshing to see what direction the hobby looks to in the coming 12+ months. It doesn't even need to be my direction, I just find new  year announcements from the big players breathes a little fresh air and renewed energy to the hobby that I quite enjoy.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

The obvious model missing is the Class 104 DMU.  300 or so carriages built, in service all over the place (but especially Buxton-Manchester), long-lived and in lots of liveries.  I would have thought it was a no-brainer.  Hornby should have a go at one because Bachmann will take 10 or more years to deliver a model and I'll be facing the consequences of too much Laphroaig by then.

Peterfgf

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

I'm sure we will see somebody announce a Class 81 AC electric in 00 gauge in the next 6 months whether its Hornby Bachmann Rapido etc..…..can I have a domino headcoded one please preferably with leaping salmon if they lived that long?

Per their latest UK newsletter from the beginning of this month Rapido have paused their own UK projects (projects done for others like Model Rail / Revolution / etc will still be done) due to the current uncertainties so I wouldn't expect anything from them - in fact on Facebook today they replied to a query about the Gunpowder van indicated they expect somebody else will end up making the Gunpowder van.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/148805-were-back-latest-rapido-news/

Edited by mdvle

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

Hornby could introduce an upgraded version of the Lima class 117 dmu for people who cannot afford or wait or the Bachmann version.

Good grief, I hope not!  I've a vague hope that H will want to counter the Bachmann 117 with a 116, which to my mind is a much better bet, as there were far more 116s than 117 and 118 combined, with a much wider geographical spread.  Even re-releasing the Lima 117 would need a new tooling for the power bogie to achieve any improvement in running.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, peterfgf said:

The obvious model missing is the Class 104 DMU.  300 or so carriages built, in service all over the place (but especially Buxton-Manchester), long-lived and in lots of liveries.  I would have thought it was a no-brainer.  Hornby should have a go at one because Bachmann will take 10 or more years to deliver a model and I'll be facing the consequences of too much Laphroaig by then.

Peterfgf

This is the biggest open goal in the multiple unit field at the moment, and can run as 2-, 3-, or 4-car sets, suitable for Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle and York areas.

The biggest void is the BREL PEP derived units.

You are talking 755 vehicles and five classes. 313/314/315/507/508 which worked on the Southern, Merseyside, North London, West London, Great Northern, Great Eastern, Scotland, etc. 

Some named and many different liveries including a Beatles one. Just think how many of those you could sell to the American and Japanese tourists.....

Beatles_train,_Hillside_Railway_Station_

Photo Wiki.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The Raworth Bulleid  Booster locos:

from wikipaedia " Externally, it was clear that the cab design owed a lot to Southern's experience with the 2HAL multiple unit design. It has even been suggested that this was because the jigs for the welded cabs already existed and thus made for speedy and cheap construction  "

Hornby already have the 2Hal emu drawings, Hornby have the pantograph assembly ( E5001 model ), their bogie wheel centres are 8 +8 feet  so adapt the LIma 40 mechanism*, the Boosters worked the Royal train and other prestige SR services, members had several liveries from Malachite Green to Rail Blue, the fact they were known as Hornbies.

The slab sided construction of the Booster loco  should be easy for  tooling  up

My final predition for the highlight reveal: The Booster

http://www.semgonline.com/electric/class70_1.html?LMCL=wX_NkT

*Post script,  looking over HSS392 class 40 service sheet,  the motor bogie unit  would drive a CoCo loco as easily as a 1Co Co1 class 40 by leaving off the pony wheel assembly

Edited by Pandora
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/11/2019 at 23:25, Neil said:
On 16/11/2019 at 21:01, Neil said:

Seeing as it's that time of year when wish list can be dressed up as speculation I'll chip in with a few of my own.

Thompson BZ brake, Hornby have never been scared of the six wheel van and it would fit with their recent enthusiasm for Eastern stuff.

Motor Rail petrol shunter, completes the loco roster of the Burneside paper tramway.

More to come but Spiral has just started .....

A further thought, given the amount of interest shown in the Hattons generic four and six wheel carriages and that Hornby were quite happy to tread on Rails toes with their Terrier how about some pre group four wheel carriages from Hornby, perhaps rtr versions of the GWR four wheelers done as a kit by Ratio.

On the industrial front I wonder having done diesel and steam if Hornby might have electric in their sights. On a personal level I'd rather like this one, late of York Corporation power station.

For the moment that is all, though I might well come back and add some more.

One further and possibly final thought, perhaps a NER wooden bodied hopper. It seemed to gain a lot of interest in another (possibly Oxford) speculative thread and has the advantage of complementing recent releases and is a long lived prototype.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

Hornby could introduce an upgraded version of the Lima class 117 dmu for people who cannot afford or wait or the Bachmann version.

With the re-release of the Railroad  class 43,  it would not be a surprise to see more ex-Lima tooling. The retooled Lima class 43 was very much under utilised,  perhaps as it may have competed with the full fat class 43 released about the same time.    Perhaps a "cheap" 94XX or 45XX or a class 42 to compete with Bachmann.  The hurried release of the ex-Lima class 66 when Hattons announced their model and the re-release of the class 92 when DJM failed and Accurascale announced their intending release showed that Hornby were prepared for battle.

7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

The biggest void is the BREL PEP derived units.

You are talking 755 vehicles and five classes. 313/314/315/507/508 which worked on the Southern, Merseyside, North London, West London, Great Northern, Great Eastern, Scotland, etc. ........

You mentioned the Southern, but "forgot" to mention the Class 455's (505 coaches, plus 43 from the class 508's).  Long lasting and with many modifications and liveries.

11 hours ago, Pandora said:

I am predicting January 6th  to see an announcement of a Bulleid Leader, or a "Hornby" the Bulleid-Raworth booster electric loco

Both are really more suited to commissions.

The Leaders are unaccountably popular "hangar queens" (an aviation term) which sat in sidings or maintenance sheds for almost all their briefs lives wasting time, money and resources (you might guess that I loathe them despite being a Southern Region fan).

The Class 70's, on the other hand I love, their being so odd.   However, there were only three, of two different designs, and only (as far as I know) one livery.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, phil gollin said:

The Class 70's, on the other hand I love, their being so odd.   However, there were only three, of two different designs, and only (as far as I know) one livery.

Please read the link provided by Pandora, above!

There were a LOT more liveries than that.

Like you, I love these beasties and yes, two different cabs and designs, the third machine being an additional 18" longer than the first two so that would in all likelihood not be modellable but the 'Boosters' would be a very special treat.

Cheers,

John.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, phil gollin said:

I just skimmed through the linked article but I can recall at least six liveries: SR green with & without speed whiskers, black, blue, BR green, BR green FYE. Add variations in BR emblems + BRITISH RAILWAYS.