Hornby 2020 range "reveal date" = 6th Jan

phil gollin

4 hours ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Hi Samuel,

Thanks for that and for highlighting my slip up there. I meant to put Class 73 but for some silly reason. I had the Class 87 on my brain and as far as I am aware. The Class 87 is an AC locomotive and doesn't have third rail capability for DC mode as where the Class 73 is an electro-diesel and can either run on its own power or on the juice from the third rail. Apologies for my glitch there mate ;).

New Stock

That with a rake of Mk5's from Accurascale would look cool even on a small layout that take one of those trains ;). Technically its not accurate for an ex-Lima model but it would "fill" the gap unless Hornby decided to make an all new Class 73/9 from scratch?

An up-to-date Class 73/9 is more of a Dapol thing...

I doubt Hornby will be investing money into something like that. And they have a major issue getting the colour right.

Dapol have a majority of the work done and an entire working chassis ready, they need to just tool up the bodyshell and underframe.

16 hours ago, killucan2 said:

Hornby class 73/9 don't think so....

Why? Personally I wouldn't rule anything out. I think you would find that a CS skin on the ex-LIma tooling to "make" it look like a 73/9 for the newbies to model railways could work! :jester:.

13 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

An up-to-date Class 73/9 is more of a Dapol thing...

I doubt Hornby will be investing money into something like that. And they have a major issue getting the colour right.

Dapol have a majority of the work done and an entire working chassis ready, they need to just tool up the bodyshell and underframe.

I think Dapol should do the accurate model but Hornby could always shove a CS skin onto the ex-lima model for their Railroad model ;).

Edited by BritishRail60062
Spelling error.

20 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

And they have a major issue getting the colour right.

Not a case of an issue getting it right, more so being who owns the 'official' CS 'brand' inc livery (Transport Scotland). Hence why the Hornby 67, 87 and 92 are all incorrect. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 159220 said:

Not a case of an issue getting it right, more so being who owns the 'official' CS 'brand' inc livery (Transport Scotland). Hence why the Hornby 67, 87 and 92 are all incorrect. 

Hornby would still have needed their permission to use it though wouldn’t they? Begs the question if the were allowed to use the logo, why couldn’t they get the colour right. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Why? Personally I wouldn't rule anything out. I think you would find that a CS skin on the ex-LIma tooling to "make" it look like a 73/9 for the newbies to model railways could work! :jester:.

I think Dapol should do the accurate model but Hornby could always shove a CS skin onto the ex-lima model for their Railroad model ;).

If that's the case...wait and watch out for the queue of thousands of moaners waiting to moan.

People are already moaning about how Hornby are supplying a Class 47 disguised as a Class 57 with their Northern Belle train pack. People can really be cranky. Hornby never once mentioned that they were tooling up a Class 57, people have absolutely no idea about the amount of money involved in re-tooling, they know Hornby will be using the ex-Lima Class 47 tooling and they'll still complain. Yes it would be nice to have a Railroad Class 57 that looks more accurate, but something's just aren't worth shelling out money for.

There's even more people complaining about the GWR HST train set because it has the older style headlights and not the newer ones. There again is Hornby supposed to fork out large sums just to modify a headlight on an ex-Lima HST tool??

Imagine what would happen if they released a Caledonian Sleeper Class 73...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

If that's the case...wait and watch out for the queue of thousands of moaners waiting to moan.

People are already moaning about how Hornby are supplying a Class 47 disguised as a Class 57 with their Northern Belle train pack. People can really be cranky.

Lima certainly had no problem doing that...

A CS 73/9 on a railroad tooling, I can imagine Hornby getting away with it, as long as the livery shade was correct.

Paint quality overrides Accuracy.. look at the 66’s as examples... wrong doors, lights, grills yet still they flew out of the door.. despite the same livery and more accurate Bachmann ones ending up on ebay at much the same price.

its a clear example of Hornby brand overiding accuracy, at a price as long as the colour was right... recipients most likely being excited kids entertained by those parents who feel they grabbed a bargain.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

55 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Lima certainly had no problem doing that...

A CS 73/9 on a railroad tooling, I can imagine Hornby getting away with it, as long as the livery shade was correct.

Paint quality overrides Accuracy.. look at the 66’s as examples... wrong doors, lights, grills yet still they flew out of the door.. despite the same livery and more accurate Bachmann ones ending up on ebay at much the same price.

its a clear example of Hornby brand overiding accuracy, at a price as long as the colour was right... recipients most likely being excited kids entertained by those parents who feel they grabbed a bargain.

I also think Hornby should try a little better here. The Class 47/57 issue could've been handled better. They could've easily tampo printed Class 57 style headlights/Dellner couplers etc. Yes it would look toyish, but it'll still look like a Class 57. The Class 47s headlights and tampo prints anyway.

They can probably do the same with the Class 73, yes the colour is a major factor too. But there's no stock to pull it. Hornby haven't bothered to do CS Mk.3 stock till date. And I'm fairly certain that a rake of Accurascale Mk.5s would be a little heavy for the Hornby RailRoad Class 73.

Let's see though. You never know. The issue with the wrong colour is quite annoying as I was really looking forward to a CS themed collection. One loco spoilt it all. 

Sometime back in a previous life, I posted up about 12-wheeled Pullmans, now rare as rockinghorse pooh. They were China made, so the moulds must still lurk somewhere? I have aquired three brake cars that have the full width vestibule ends during production time and later, but cannot get the Kitchen car No.45 (?) that was in one of the coach add-on packs

This also had the full width ends. Again, the tooling should be hiding somewhere. There are so many early (between the world wars and indeed later) train formations that could be achieved with just those two mouldings. So come on Hornby, please please, PLEASE!!!! let me tick off one of my bucket list, before I kick it!!!!!

Tod

• Like 1

On 28/11/2019 at 04:25, MGR Hooper! said:

People are already moaning about how Hornby are supplying a Class 47 disguised as a Class 57 with their Northern Belle train pack. People can really be cranky. Hornby never once mentioned that they were tooling up a Class 57, people have absolutely no idea about the amount of money involved in re-tooling, they know Hornby will be using the ex-Lima Class 47 tooling and they'll still complain. Yes it would be nice to have a Railroad Class 57 that looks more accurate, but something's just aren't worth shelling out money for.

There's even more people complaining about the GWR HST train set because it has the older style headlights and not the newer ones. There again is Hornby supposed to fork out large sums just to modify a headlight on an ex-Lima HST tool??

Hi Hayley,

The sad face of life is that we will not be able to please everyone and believe me I've tried to in the past and failed miserably. From a personal point of view, accuracy isn't a big issue as long as it "looks" right to my eye. As for the GWR HST set. If the incorrect lights are an issue. Then we have two options to us. The first is to "paint" the headlights onto the ex-Lima model if Hornby has not done this. Or the second option is to save up and buy the accurate premium pack that is available to buy right now. That's the options there on that issue.

As for the Class 57. Didn't Lima make one back in the late 1990's? Or was that just a badly passed off Class 47 model renumbered? I have never owned a Lima Class 57, so I cannot comment but I am suspecting its just a renumbered Class 47 with the same tooling? I would like to know more about that situation :).

All the best

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Hi Hayley,

The sad face of life is that we will not be able to please everyone and believe me I've tried to in the past and failed miserably. From a personal point of view, accuracy isn't a big issue as long as it "looks" right to my eye. As for the GWR HST set. If the incorrect lights are an issue. Then we have two options to us. The first is to "paint" the headlights onto the ex-Lima model if Hornby has not done this. Or the second option is to save up and buy the accurate premium pack that is available to buy right now. That's the options there on that issue.

As for the Class 57. Didn't Lima make one back in the late 1990's? Or was that just a badly passed off Class 47 model renumbered? I have never owned a Lima Class 57, so I cannot comment but I am suspecting its just a renumbered Class 47 with the same tooling? I would like to know more about that situation :).

All the best

Not to sure about a Lima Class 57, I have no idea when the original prototype was introduced.

The initial Class 57s looked almost identical to Class 47s with a few minor external differences (sandboxes, exhaust etc).

Later ones looked quite different.

• RMweb Gold

Yes Lima produced a 57 it was the origional freighliner one where I think the only major difference was the exhaust panels and a repainted into freighliner Livery. The later 57/3 and 57/6 were never produced by Lima if I recall correctly.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Anything with lighting, PLEASE can the loco tail light be switch off-able.  A loco hauling a train should not display a red tail light; that should be on the tail vehicle.  And, PLEASE, no more green or plain blue liveried dmus with twin red tail lights; they carried oil lamps. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

It would be nice if Hornby celebrated it's "100th" anniversary by continuing the trend started last year of going back to it's roots, and producing contemporary items to appeal to younger models.  In the past they produced models like the APT and Class 58 before the real things hit the rails, so this year it would be a good idea to produce something like their 800 in TPE or Hell Trains liveries, plus a Greater Anglia bi-mode Flirt, which with two identical articulated passenger areas and a centre "power pack" in which to hide the motor, plus being bi-mode, would bound to be an attractive model that ought not to cost a huge amount to tool up for.

I doubt they will though, we might get a few tired Limby re-issues at pocket money prices (not that that is wrong per se and the popularity of their 66s in contemporary colours shows there is a market for it) but I have a wearisome feeling it'll be yet more tea-urns chasing the last of the grey pounds rather than creating a sense of excitement for new modellers.

• RMweb Premium

I do wonder of the possibilities of a Greater Anglia "Flirt" .  Ok you may think these are geographically limited , but I bet there are a good few modellers that would buy one simply because they are different .  They might wait for the Welsh ones to come out though to give a better marketing opportunity, but as I understand it these units will not be the same .

Interesting

• Like 1